MAMEWorld >> Programming
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Cyberonix
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/18/06
Send PM

CHD Utility
#189340 - 05/03/09 09:29 PM Attachment: CHD Utility.zip 17 KB (38 downloads)

I finally got tired of going through each CHD file trying to update them to the new format so I wrote a quick utility to help. I've seen other utilities on here as well but figured I'd post mine too in case someone else wanted to try it.

It's a simple console application that runs either single or batch file processing. It expects to be run from your MAME directory and is simple to use.

1. Copy it to your MAME directory. When you run it, it will expect the files to be located in mame\roms\your_chd_directory.

2. Run the utility.

3. Input the name of the directory where your CHD file(s) are located. If you want to batch process CHD files they will need to be located in the same directory.

4. The utility automatically creates a subdirectory there titled NewCHD and puts your updated file(s) there. It never modifies the original.

5. It will give you the option to process more files if you like.

6. Copy your updated CHD to the correct directory when you're satisfied it's correct.

I've only tested this under Windows XP as I don't own Vista. It also doesn't have support for zipped CHD files. They will need to be in an actual directory.

It's written in C# so you'll need the .NET Framework 2.0 in order to run it. I've included the source code as well in case anyone is interested.

Hope it helps! I know it did for me.

Cyberonix
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/18/06
Send PM

Re: CHD Utility new [Re: Cyberonix]
#189341 - 05/03/09 09:34 PM

I tried to post a screenshot but couldn't figure out how to do it with hosting it somewhere. Sorry.

Waremonger
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

#190208 - 05/13/09 08:21 AM

> I tried to post a screenshot but couldn't figure out how to do it with hosting it
> somewhere. Sorry.

You would have to do it in a separate post as each post only allows one attachment.

Doosh
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/02/09
Send PM

Re: CHD Utility - HELP required new [Re: Waremonger]
#196242 - 07/16/09 11:54 AM

Hi,

Can anyone assist with the problem I have with the CHD Utility posted?

I've attempted to run the CHD utility but without luck, and I hope someone can assist me to get my CHD converted using the utility.

I get a message when I run you utility being:

Invalid Directory. Unable to process CHD(s).

I have mame located in the following directory, including your CHD utility, being:

G:\ClrMAMEpro\mame0132b

I have all my CHDs (only) located in their individual directories under:

G:\ClrMAMEpro\mame0132b\roms

Example:

G:\ClrMAMEpro\mame0132b\roms\a51site4\a51site4.chd
G:\ClrMAMEpro\mame0132b\roms\area51\area51.chd
... etc

When using you utility, when it asks me to enter the directory name what do I enter?

I've tried, roms, G:\ClrMAMEpro\mame0132b\roms and other paths with out luck.

All I wish to do is to enter the directory name so that it processes all of the CHDs in the one shot (batch process?)

Your help in getting me to enter the correct directory path is kindly appreciated.

Look forward to your response,

Kind Regards,

Dariusz

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

Re: CHD Utility - HELP required new [Re: Doosh]
#196243 - 07/16/09 12:01 PM

if I understand correctly the original post, to process all the CHDs you need to copy them in a single directory (say G:\ClrMAMEpro\mame0132b\roms\CHD), launch the applications, enter CHD as directory (this is the most natural way of interpreting the OP... alternatively you may need to enter G:\ClrMAMEpro\mame0132b\roms\CHD, because the instructions are not so clear), wait for the update to finish

without moving all CHDs in a single directory, there is no way to use this utility to update your files

mchowllives
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/07/12
Loc: Cleveland Heights, Ohio
Send PM

#288896 - 06/07/12 08:42 PM

Hello all
Long-time gamer, first time poster, so please be gentle with me!
I recently got my MAMEUI64 up and running again, and I decided to go out and look for the gauntdl.chd file for Gauntlet-Dark Legacy (gawd-that game used to seemingly absorb my money straight out of my wallet without even the usual trip to the change machine!). So I found the file, downloaded it, put it in its own folder, and put that folder in the roms directory as follows:
...MAMEUI64/roms/gauntdl.zip
...MAMEUI64/roms/gauntdl/gauntdl.chd
I tried to run the game and got the usual "gauntdl.chd not found" message.
So, I tried taking the CHD file out of its own folder and just putting it directly in the roms directory (i.e., maybe the one extra step of organizing it in its own folder was one to many?) as follows:
...MAMEUI64/roms/gauntdl.zip
...MAMEUI64/roms/gauntdl.chd
I still get the same message. Could someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

--McHowlLives

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Programming
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Pi 
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5654