Pages: 1

Doosh
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/02/09
Send PM

Status on Dragon's Lair in Mame
#236541 - 10/17/10 12:18 AM

Hello,

A while back (years ago), I read a WIP on some post there was progress being made to get Dragon's Lair emulated on Mame. I believe it was something to do with standardising the CHD format?

Has there been any new progress on getting Dragon's Lair to work on Mame since? and what would be the latest WIP status in relation to Dragon's Lair on Mame, assuming it is still being planned to be emulated in Mame?

Thank you in advance for your replies

D

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: Status on Dragon's Lair in Mame new [Re: Doosh]
#236542 - 10/17/10 12:33 AM

GAME_NOT_WORKING.
And It'll be like it for a while unless Digital Lesuire don't mind their LaserDisc being freely distrobuted through the net.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Status on Dragon's Lair in Mame new [Re: Naoki]
#236544 - 10/17/10 01:04 AM

> GAME_NOT_WORKING.
> And It'll be like it for a while unless Digital Lesuire don't mind their LaserDisc
> being freely distrobuted through the net.

Pretty much the fact they it's still an active license - that is the biggest reason it's not a fully supported and working game right now.

Quantum Leaper
OCRer and Monkey Typist for Galaxy Game
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Orion spiral arm of the Milky Way
Send PM

#236545 - 10/17/10 01:06 AM

> Hello,
>
> A while back (years ago), I read a WIP on some post there was progress being made to
> get Dragon's Lair emulated on Mame. I believe it was something to do with
> standardising the CHD format?
>
> Has there been any new progress on getting Dragon's Lair to work on Mame since? and
> what would be the latest WIP status in relation to Dragon's Lair on Mame, assuming it
> is still being planned to be emulated in Mame?
>
> Thank you in advance for your replies
>
> D
If you want to play the game go play the game with DAPHNE or with Digital Leisure program on the DVDs.
Also since Digital Leisure makes money on the game, you won't see it anytime soon in MAME. MAME doesn't like to emulate anything that is making money for companies that are distributing a game.
So my bet would be Dragon's Lair will be the last laser disk game to be added to MAME.

There are a lot of other laser disc games that have not been emulated in DAPHNE, which I would like to see before Dragon's Lair.

One last thing asking about a status of a game makes sure it going to the bottom of the pile.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#236546 - 10/17/10 01:09 AM

> Hello,
>
> A while back (years ago), I read a WIP on some post there was progress being made to
> get Dragon's Lair emulated on Mame. I believe it was something to do with
> standardising the CHD format?
>
> Has there been any new progress on getting Dragon's Lair to work on Mame since? and
> what would be the latest WIP status in relation to Dragon's Lair on Mame, assuming it
> is still being planned to be emulated in Mame?

A good way to find out is to look in MAWS, here's the entry for Dragon's Lair:

http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/romset/dlair

Near the top, there's this entry:

driver status preliminary

"preliminary" means what it says - the driver still has a lot of work to go, things aren't working, etc.

Scroll down further, and you can see other useful information, such as all the progress that is being made in MAME, for example here's a very small part of the progress:

WIP:

# 0.139u2: Changed VSync to 60.054442 Hz in clones Dragon's Lair (European) and (Italian).
# 0.137u2: f205v added correct ROMs to clone Dragon's Lair (Italian).
# 0.129u4: Changed Custom sound to Laserdisc Analog.
# 0.127u7: Added 2nd Z80 (2.5MHz) CPU.
# 0.127: Aaron Giles added DISK_REGIONS to all laserdisc drivers. Changed visible area to 704x480.
# 0.126u5: Changed visible area to 720x240 and VSync to 59.940052.
# 0.121u1: Changed palettesize from 9 to 16 colors in clones Dragon's Lair (European), (Italian) and Space Ace (European).
# 30th September 2007: Mr. Do - A few months ago, Jcroach finished up the vector job for a Dragon's Lair scoreboard. I wasn't in too big of a hurry to release it, as the games still aren't working yet; plus I didn't have a speaker cover for it yet. Well, I finally got the speaker cover, so here it is. The games still aren't working, but at least you'll have the artwork when it's ready. The scoreboard is used in Dragon's Lair, Thayer's Quest, and for cabinets that were converted to Space Ace. (Still looking for a dedicated Space Ace scoreboard, btw. Let me know if you find one. You can see one here). Also included in Thayer's Quest is a scan of the keyboard, so you know what you're doing. And thanks to Ad_Enuff for that nice little graphic to finish off the speakers.
# 0.113u2: Changed VSync to 59.940000 Hz.
# 0.111u4: Added clones Dragon's Lair (European) and (Italian). Changed VSync to 59.939999 Hz.
# 0.111u3: More updates to the laserdisc emulation, based on more complete understanding of how the discs are encoded and how they will eventually be stored [Aaron Giles]. Added Custom sound (2 channels) and changed VSync to 59.940060Hz. Added dipswitches 'Engineering mode' and 'Service Mode' and removed 'Diagnostics' and 'Joystick Feedback Sound'.
# 12th December 2006: Aaron Giles - I'm looking for someone, preferably in the U.S., who owns an original Dragon's Lair laserdisc and is willing to loan it out for a couple of months. Either contact me via my webform (http://aarongiles.com/email.html), or reply to this post. Thanks!

Scroll down further and you will see history, trivia, tips and tricks, ports to home consoles and computers.

As you can see, some very useful stuff there.

MAWS is your friend.

Moose

EMU-LMAO
EMU-LMAO owner/site-op
Reged: 07/14/07
Loc: California
Send PM

#236558 - 10/17/10 07:01 AM

Just purchase the DL collection for the Wii. Don't know if it has been released yet, but they are supposedly emulated.

Regards,
EMU-LMAO

CrapBoardSoftware
My real name is banned dickhead
Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Wisconsin
Send PM

Re: Status on Dragon's Lair in Mame new [Re: Quantum Leaper]
#236559 - 10/17/10 08:44 AM

> Also since Digital Leisure makes money on the game, you won't see it anytime soon in
> MAME. MAME doesn't like to emulate anything that is making money for companies that
> are distributing a game.

Seriously - is there data available about how much they sell each month or so? I cannot imagine that there are THAT many guys who (still) buy games that are at least some decades old. I mean, their gameplay is not getting/aging for better..

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Status on Dragon's Lair in Mame new [Re: CrapBoardSoftware]
#236565 - 10/17/10 11:06 AM

> Seriously - is there data available about how much they sell each month or so? I
> cannot imagine that there are THAT many guys who (still) buy games that are at least
> some decades old. I mean, their gameplay is not getting/aging for better..

And if that were correct, it would be a heavy reason for not include them more than ever. If i recall correctly, that's the very same reason danmaku (mainly Cave shooters) fans can't get their fix in MAME. Smaller niche, low sales and emulation leads to even low sales. However, if your only profit is the same games "as is" in different plattforms without any new franchises and sequels, it would best to let them die already.

Naoki
Send PM

Re: Status on Dragon's Lair in Mame new [Re: Tafoid]
#236580 - 10/17/10 04:45 PM

Yeah, that's kinda my point.

----

By gods I've found it!

Naoki
Send PM

Re: Status on Dragon's Lair in Mame new [Re: Moose]
#236581 - 10/17/10 04:49 PM

Actually, it's only preliminary since the LaserDisc hasn't been dumped as of yet. The driver shoud work in theory however, there could be bugs, but the vast majority is theoreticly working. It just means the game doesn't work since of license restrictions.

Edited by Naoki (10/17/10 04:50 PM)

----

By gods I've found it!

Umpa
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/08/11
Send PM

Re: Status on Dragon's Lair in Mame new [Re: Quantum Leaper]
#361485 - 12/20/16 12:24 PM

> One last thing asking about a status of a game makes sure it going to the bottom of
> the pile.

What about now - still at the bottom of the pile ? Whats your crystal ball say now ?

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

Re: Status on Dragon's Lair in Mame new [Re: Umpa]
#361492 - 12/20/16 03:32 PM

As much as the idea of running these games out of MAME thrills me, I'd be satisfied if someone wrote a wrapper for Daphne of some kind that added artwork support with external scoreboards. The workaround I did for this is kind of cumbersome.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#361496 - 12/20/16 05:51 PM

> > One last thing asking about a status of a game makes sure it going to the bottom of
> > the pile.
>
> What about now - still at the bottom of the pile ? Whats your crystal ball say now ?

anikom15
Instigator/Local CRT Guru
Reged: 04/11/16
Send PM

#361498 - 12/20/16 06:25 PM

> > One last thing asking about a status of a game makes sure it going to the bottom of
> > the pile.
>
> What about now - still at the bottom of the pile ? Whats your crystal ball say now ?

This post is six years old dude

Roman
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

Re: Status on Dragon's Lair in Mame new [Re: R. Belmont]
#361501 - 12/20/16 06:47 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFDcoX7s6rE

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Status on Dragon's Lair in Mame new [Re: Nightvoice]
#361677 - 12/24/16 12:23 AM

> As much as the idea of running these games out of MAME thrills me, I'd be satisfied if someone wrote a wrapper for Daphne of some kind that added artwork support with external scoreboards. The workaround I did for this is kind of cumbersome.

Isn't that what a front end is?....

Also, DaphneLoader is just that, but allows only one image I think.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

remax
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/12
Send PM

Re: Status on Dragon's Lair in Mame new [Re: Traso]
#361707 - 12/24/16 03:05 PM

>
> Isn't that what a front end is?....
>

No

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 8902