Pages: 1

-GivingBack-
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/04/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

M.A.M.E. Artwork Special Edition *Update*
#247686 - 03/01/11 04:54 PM

v0.141 is now 11.7GB (Size on Disk). This is uncompressed and without PAR2 files. Unfortunately this would take me days to post to Newsgroups with my current ISP. Until then i am unsure of the next release date.

Note: Any updates for v0.141u1, u2 & u3 are not included.

Thanks for your understanding,
-GivingBack-

http://mameartwork.50megs.com/index.html

AnimalBear
100% MAME Fan Forever!
Reged: 04/29/10
Loc: Portugal, Porto
Send PM

Re: M.A.M.E. Artwork Special Edition *Update* new [Re: -GivingBack-]
#247688 - 03/01/11 05:41 PM

Hope one day see is CHD compressed with Winrar and load just like normal rom file, if itīs possible we can have the MAME full compressed without having a lot of bytes for our Disc.
Too many GB LOL.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: M.A.M.E. Artwork Special Edition *Update* new [Re: AnimalBear]
#247690 - 03/01/11 05:56 PM

CHD - COMPRESSED Hard Disk !

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

#247691 - 03/01/11 05:57 PM

> Hope one day see is CHD compressed with Winrar and load just like normal rom file, if
> itīs possible we can have the MAME full compressed without having a lot of bytes for
> our Disc.
> Too many GB LOL.

you don't know what you are talking about: CHD are already compressed! you don't gain anything significative by trying to compress them further.

moreover, you might want to notice that rar files are not supported by MAME: roms can only be zipped

etabeta
Send PM

actually, compressed hunks of data ;) *nt* new [Re: CTOJAH]
#247693 - 03/01/11 06:12 PM

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

Re: M.A.M.E. Artwork Special Edition *Update* new [Re: etabeta]
#247695 - 03/01/11 06:14 PM

> > Hope one day see is CHD compressed with Winrar and load just like normal rom file,
> if
> > itīs possible we can have the MAME full compressed without having a lot of bytes
> for
> > our Disc.
> > Too many GB LOL.
>
> you don't know what you are talking about: CHD are already compressed! you don't gain
> anything significative by trying to compress them further.
>
> moreover, you might want to notice that rar files are not supported by MAME: roms can
> only be zipped

Theoretically, zip file specification says zip files can use LZMA (EFS) for compressing files, instead of just DEFLATE, so files compressed that way may be slightly smaller than DEFLATE equivalents. I'm not sure if zlib will properly decompress them though.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#247698 - 03/01/11 06:39 PM

> > Hope one day see is CHD compressed with Winrar and load just like normal rom file,
> if
> > itīs possible we can have the MAME full compressed without having a lot of bytes
> for
> > our Disc.
> > Too many GB LOL.
>
> you don't know what you are talking about: CHD are already compressed! you don't gain
> anything significative by trying to compress them further.
>
> moreover, you might want to notice that rar files are not supported by MAME: roms can
> only be zipped

Plus, MAME would have to unRAR the whole file into memory. Most people do not have enough to do that.

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

#247709 - 03/01/11 08:28 PM

It might make more sense to post this to [nuked] or [nuked] as a torrent. Many of us already have these collections mostly complete so by tying our collection into the torrent, we only would download what we are missing.

I for one always have issue with trying to remember where I left off in the last collection of downloaded snaps from progettosnaps.

Edited by italie (03/03/11 03:49 AM)

AnimalBear
100% MAME Fan Forever!
Send PM

#247715 - 03/01/11 09:28 PM

I Think you are no getting the point.
I not mean the compressed CHD.
I very now CHD is ultra compressed, but
a way to compress .chd file into .rar or .zip ultra compressed.
If it's impossible then must stay like this.
But if i need to compressed all the mame roms and CHD's will be impossible to compress the down of GB it's a waste of time.
Only i must now if chd compressed on rar or zip,
will be emulated as normal, without using folders.
Compatibility or not? Only i ask.

Edited by AnimalBear (03/01/11 09:35 PM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#247720 - 03/01/11 10:36 PM

> Hope one day see is CHD compressed with Winrar and load just like normal rom file, if
> itīs possible we can have the MAME full compressed without having a lot of bytes for
> our Disc.

You can have CHDs in a .zip file right now. You just need as much RAM free as the size of the CHD file and it'll take forever to load. The point of CHDs is that you can live stream the data and it's reasonably compressed (same as .zip) without defeating that goal. Putting them in a zip or rar or 7zip wrapper defeats this. Using whatever RAR uses (all I know is it's super-slow compared to zlib) defeats this. And finally, CHDs with a lot of audio data (e.g. "analog" Bemani CDs) won't get usefully smaller using RAR or 7zip.

Also, 1 TB drives are under US$50 now. If you can afford a CPU that runs MAME well, you can certainly afford that.

AnimalBear
100% MAME Fan Forever!
Send PM

Re: M.A.M.E. Artwork Special Edition *Update* new [Re: R. Belmont]
#247812 - 03/02/11 07:43 PM

You are right man! thanks so much some one ask just i was expected

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#247815 - 03/02/11 08:10 PM

> if
> for
> > our Disc.
>
> You can have CHDs in a .zip file right now. You just need as much RAM free as the
> size of the CHD file and it'll take forever to load. The point of CHDs is that you
> can live stream the data and it's reasonably compressed (same as .zip) without
> defeating that goal. Putting them in a zip or rar or 7zip wrapper defeats this. Using
> whatever RAR uses (all I know is it's super-slow compared to zlib) defeats this. And
> finally, CHDs with a lot of audio data (e.g. "analog" Bemani CDs) won't get usefully
> smaller using RAR or 7zip.
>
> Also, 1 TB drives are under US$50 now. If you can afford a CPU that runs MAME well,
> you can certainly afford that.

I'm uh, obtaining a MESS CHD torrent right now - I was wondering if console CHDs were already compressed in some way. This settles it, they are. What kind of compression do CHDs use, anyway? Standard zip, or something less obvious?

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: M.A.M.E. Artwork Special Edition *Update* new [Re: Foxhack]
#247818 - 03/02/11 09:03 PM

> I'm uh, obtaining a MESS CHD torrent right now - I was wondering if console CHDs were
> already compressed in some way. This settles it, they are. What kind of compression
> do CHDs use, anyway? Standard zip, or something less obvious?

Heh, I though the meaning of CHD (Compressed Hunks of Data) was enough to hint it was a compressed file. According to chd.c in the source, it uses zlib compression codec (used in gzip aka GNU zip format).

So if I'm not interpreting this wrong, a CHD is basically a container for storing a variation of a .gz (or .zip) compressed file. Which makes the point of compressing a CHD file into a ZIP file retarded.

etabeta
Send PM

#247819 - 03/02/11 09:29 PM

> You are right man! thanks so much some one ask just i was expected

are you sure you have read correctly the reply?

> Putting them in a zip or rar or 7zip wrapper defeats this.

> Using whatever RAR uses (all I know is it's super-slow compared to zlib) defeats this.

> CHDs with a lot of audio data (e.g. "analog" Bemani CDs) won't get usefully smaller using RAR or 7zip.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

#247821 - 03/02/11 09:39 PM

> I Think you are no getting the point.
> I not mean the compressed CHD.
> I very now CHD is ultra compressed, but
> a way to compress .chd file into .rar or .zip ultra compressed.
> If it's impossible then must stay like this.
> But if i need to compressed all the mame roms and CHD's will be impossible to
> compress the down of GB it's a waste of time.
> Only i must now if chd compressed on rar or zip,
> will be emulated as normal, without using folders.
> Compatibility or not? Only i ask.

I can't understand but I'll answer as best as possible.

- You can store your CHD files without directories and configure ClrMAME for doing it so. MAME will run them with no problems.
- You will have a hard time maintaining your sets using that method. Especially if you use torrents.
- Why compress +10,000 files into a ZIP file? Compression formats are not magical algorithms which reduce everything to half of less. In fact, once you compress a file you will hardly ever reduce the file size even more by compressing it again.
- I want to see you handle a 100GB compressed file without taking +6 hours to rename or add a file. Plus you need at least twice the space to maintain a file like that.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: M.A.M.E. Artwork Special Edition *Update* new [Re: BIOS-D]
#247823 - 03/02/11 09:41 PM

> Heh, I though the meaning of CHD (Compressed Hunks of Data) was enough to hint it was
> a compressed file. According to chd.c in the source, it uses zlib compression codec
> (used in gzip aka GNU zip format).
>
> So if I'm not interpreting this wrong, a CHD is basically a container for storing a
> variation of a .gz (or .zip) compressed file. Which makes the point of compressing a
> CHD file into a ZIP file retarded.

zlib handles all the formats commonly used in .zip, which is a superset of what .gz uses. But beyond that, yes, zipping a chd is pretty dumb because it uses zip compression internally

-GivingBack-
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: M.A.M.E. Artwork Special Edition *Update* new [Re: TrevEB]
#247825 - 03/02/11 10:08 PM

> It might make more sense to post this to[nuked] or [nuked] as a
> torrent. Many of us already have these collections mostly complete so by tying our
> collection into the torrent, we only would download what we are missing.
>
> I for one always have issue with trying to remember where I left off in the last
> collection of downloaded snaps from progettosnaps.

The problem is that i rebuild the ZIP's with every release. It's how i confirm that everything is there and the ZIP is not damaged. I don't know if that would mess anything up.

Edited by italie (03/03/11 03:50 AM)

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

#247826 - 03/02/11 10:18 PM

Huh? Are we all revealing where we do get all the stuff now? Let's not forget this forum tries to stay in a gray area, not the warez one.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#247827 - 03/02/11 10:29 PM

> > Heh, I though the meaning of CHD (Compressed Hunks of Data) was enough to hint it
> was
> > a compressed file. According to chd.c in the source, it uses zlib compression codec
> > (used in gzip aka GNU zip format).
> >
> > So if I'm not interpreting this wrong, a CHD is basically a container for storing a
> > variation of a .gz (or .zip) compressed file. Which makes the point of compressing
> a
> > CHD file into a ZIP file retarded.
>
> zlib handles all the formats commonly used in .zip, which is a superset of what .gz
> uses. But beyond that, yes, zipping a chd is pretty dumb because it uses zip
> compression internally

I thought CHD was "chunks of data".

If you're using zlib then that means that any non-digital audio data is probably being compressed as much as possible already, so. Yeah. Fine by me!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: M.A.M.E. Artwork Special Edition *Update* new [Re: Foxhack]
#247829 - 03/02/11 10:59 PM

> I thought CHD was "chunks of data".

"Compressed Hunks of Data"

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

#247839 - 03/03/11 02:28 AM

Yes, you are right. A torrent system would require the pictures be unzipped. I certainly appreciate the frustration of having 4000 images in each folder. It does seem like a mess compared to having them zipped up.

However, if a torrent system was set up, then after the initial torrent, you would only have to create an updated torrent at your convenience and alert us to its creation.
Your upload would only be the new photos added. Our download would be only the new photos added.

-GivingBack-
MAME Fan
Send PM

#247851 - 03/03/11 04:12 AM

> Yes, you are right. A torrent system would require the pictures be unzipped. I
> certainly appreciate the frustration of having 4000 images in each folder. It does
> seem like a mess compared to having them zipped up.
>
> However, if a torrent system was set up, then after the initial torrent, you would
> only have to create an updated torrent at your convenience and alert us to its
> creation.
> Your upload would only be the new photos added. Our download would be only the new
> photos added.

I have been avoiding Torrents for a while because i am not a big fan. But i think it's time to change. I am going to create torrent as you suggested. Other then here any suggestion on what sites to notify?

franciscohs
M.A.M.E. fan
Reged: 10/04/08
Loc: Argentina
Send PM

#247864 - 03/03/11 12:44 PM

> The problem is that i rebuild the ZIP's with every release. It's how i confirm that
> everything is there and the ZIP is not damaged. I don't know if that would mess
> anything up.

Hint: use TorrentZip

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

#247910 - 03/04/11 01:51 AM

> > I thought CHD was "chunks of data".
>
> "Compressed Hunks of Data"

It's CHoDe with the vowels removed, and you know it.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4136