MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU Update: Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air
#256229 - 06/01/11 06:58 PM

Antonio Gonzalez Jr. loaned me his Albatross proto board. It looks like it's an early version of Super Crown's Golf. I'm guessing they developed it as Albatross and sent out flyers during development and then sold it to Nasco near the end of development and the game name was changed. I've never seen or heard of another Albatross existing and this one is clearly a proto.

http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/pics/albatross.jpg
http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/pics/albatross2.jpg

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: DU Update: Face / Yuvo albatross new [Re: Smitdogg]
#256241 - 06/01/11 09:13 PM

>It looks like it's an early version of Super Crown's Golf.

http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=videodb&id=6249

It does look the same like the flyer as already described. Any chance Albatross could have been an actual "limited/test market" release rather than being a prototype?

If you already talked to Fujix and confirmed this, nevermind.

>Antonio Gonzalez Jr. loaned me his Albatross proto board.

Thanks. Hopefully this will easily drop into the driver file with minimal changes being needed.

http://mamedev.org/source/src/mame/drivers/suprgolf.c.html

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU Update: Face / Yuvo albatross new [Re: gregf]
#256244 - 06/01/11 10:10 PM

Anything is possible I guess but Antonio worked for Romstar at the time and he told me it was a proto and it looks like a proto. It could have had some test locations done but someone would have to be extremely masochistic to whip up more than a couple of these boards, in this form, and at it really doesn't make any difference if it's labeled as a proto or test location, they are basically the same thing. All or most Midway boards with proto stickers were on test locations and plenty of other protos in MAME were put on test locations then canned I'm sure.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: DU Update: Face / Yuvo albatross new [Re: Smitdogg]
#256247 - 06/01/11 10:36 PM

>It could have had some test locations done but someone would have to be extremely
>masochistic to whip up more than a couple of these boards, in this form, and at it
>really doesn't make any difference if it's labeled as a proto or test location,

My guess was maybe Albatross had its limited testing in Japan and somehow the pcb arrived here from some long ago overseas purchase.

>but Antonio worked for Romstar at the time and he told me it was a proto and it looks
>like a proto.

Okay. If he was in the business then, I'll go with his info.

btw: There was a long ago artwork debate regarding Gun.Smoke and whether bezels were ever made for the game.

There is the marquee, side art, and control panel instruction pieces for Gun.Smoke. But some were also saying that the game also had a bezel.....that is there were possibly dedicated cab versions of the game besides the "cab replacement-conversion kit" versions of Gun.Smoke

If you can get an answer for whether a bezel was made for Gun.Smoke from Antonio, thanks.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU Update: Face / Yuvo albatross new [Re: gregf]
#256298 - 06/02/11 04:12 AM

It was test locationed, but it's still a prototype board. He says he thinks they did make a bezel for Gun.Smoke but most people were too lazy to install it.

Brian Deuel
Old Man
Reged: 01/09/04
Send PM

Re: DU Update: Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air new [Re: Smitdogg]
#256306 - 06/02/11 05:14 AM

I wonder if anyone got the Pink Floyd reference

"One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces!"- Nick Mason, Pink Floyd

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

+Street Cred (nt) new [Re: Brian Deuel]
#256307 - 06/02/11 05:32 AM

> I wonder if anyone got the Pink Floyd reference

VirtuaIceMan
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/22/07
Send PM

I wonder... if the board died, would it be a "dead Albatross" (nt) new [Re: Smitdogg]
#256314 - 06/02/11 10:50 AM

nt

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Send PM

Re: DU Update: Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air new [Re: Brian Deuel]
#256317 - 06/02/11 02:00 PM

> I wonder if anyone got the Pink Floyd reference

Of course!

Kale
Il Sindaco
Reged: 09/26/03
Loc: Naples, Italy
Send PM

Re: DU Update: Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air new [Re: Smitdogg]
#256416 - 06/03/11 02:37 PM

> Antonio Gonzalez Jr. loaned me his Albatross proto board. It looks like it's an early
> version of Super Crown's Golf. I'm guessing they developed it as Albatross and sent
> out flyers during development and then sold it to Nasco near the end of development
> and the game name was changed. I've never seen or heard of another Albatross existing
> and this one is clearly a proto.
>
> http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/pics/albatross.jpg
> http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/pics/albatross2.jpg

Can you please do a video of this?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU Update: Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air new [Re: Kale]
#256425 - 06/03/11 04:09 PM

If you have a pinout I could try but 4 out of 5 non-Jamma games fail to sync correctly on my supergun monitors (VGA->LCD, VGA->CRT, S-Video->HD, S-Video->TV).

Kale
Il Sindaco
Send PM

#256433 - 06/03/11 05:00 PM

> If you have a pinout I could try but 4 out of 5 non-Jamma games fail to sync
> correctly on my supergun monitors (VGA->LCD, VGA->CRT, S-Video->HD, S-Video->TV).

Actually, by looking at the board, it looks like that the two sockets near the z80 are empty, hence I highly doubt that this would work anyway :/

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Loc: Britland
Send PM

Re: +Street Cred (nt) new [Re: Smitdogg]
#256557 - 06/05/11 10:09 PM

> > I wonder if anyone got the Pink Floyd reference

I was sorely tempted to make a Monty Python reference but that would have been Street Cred -1 (at least)

AeroCityMayor
Entity formerly known as alien_mame
Reged: 11/11/03
Loc: Wakefield, West Yorks, UK.
Send PM

Re: +Street Cred (nt) new [Re: Fever]
#256758 - 06/07/11 09:48 PM

> > > I wonder if anyone got the Pink Floyd reference
>
> I was sorely tempted to make a Monty Python reference but that would have been Street
> Cred -1 (at least)

Palestine!

< /malaprope >

Coherance of posts inversely proportional to Foster's consumption!!!

Kale
Il Sindaco
Send PM

Re: DU Update: Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air new [Re: Kale]
#256964 - 06/10/11 01:59 AM

> > If you have a pinout I could try but 4 out of 5 non-Jamma games fail to sync
> > correctly on my supergun monitors (VGA->LCD, VGA->CRT, S-Video->HD, S-Video->TV).
>
> Actually, by looking at the board, it looks like that the two sockets near the z80
> are empty, hence I highly doubt that this would work anyway :/

And indeed it doesn't work, two ROMs are missing from the romset ... and they are all of the z80 program snippets for gfxs :/
It seems to be an US/World release, anyway.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3350