View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

MetalliC
Demul/MAME dev
Reged: 03/20/09
Loc: UA
Send PM

[Triforce] Mario Kart GP2 on Dolphin
#289877 - 06/20/12 12:45 AM Attachment: mk2.png 463 KB (7 downloads)

there was some progress in Sega Triforce emulation in few last days in Dolphin, so now MKGP2 is can be called "playable" after last commit to Triforce branch.
It is still very preliminary - uses a lot of patches/hacks, testmode not working, etc, but anyway good to know another arcade system was reverse engeneered and emulated.

more info and screenshots here - http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showthread.php?tid=23763

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by MetalliC (06/20/12 12:47 AM)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Newsworthied (nt) new [Re: MetalliC]
#289880 - 06/20/12 01:47 AM

Ceto
♥ Arcade ♥
Reged: 08/15/09
Loc: Austria/Vienna
Send PM

Re: [Triforce] Mario Kart GP2 on Dolphin new [Re: MetalliC]
#289883 - 06/20/12 03:00 AM

Amazing!

RetroRepair
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/21/09
Send PM

Re: [Triforce] Mario Kart GP2 on Dolphin new [Re: Ceto]
#289907 - 06/20/12 04:08 PM

I wonder if networking would be possible.

IIRC the GC didn't have any provision for this so I guess it's unlikely.

Very cool none the less!

http://www.youtube.com/retrorepair

BadMouth
Arcade Racing Fan
Reged: 06/13/11
Send PM

Re: [Triforce] Mario Kart GP2 on Dolphin new [Re: RetroRepair]
#289908 - 06/20/12 04:30 PM

I doubt it's in the emulator yet, but networking was possible with the original hardware.

Progress on Hikiru, and now this!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: [Triforce] Mario Kart GP2 on Dolphin new [Re: RetroRepair]
#289909 - 06/20/12 04:43 PM

> IIRC the GC didn't have any provision for this so I guess it's unlikely.

There were official Nintendo modem and Ethernet add-ons for the consumer GameCube, but they were pretty rare. (ETA: the GC version of Double Dash even supported them).

Edited by R. Belmont (06/20/12 04:57 PM)

RetroRepair
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/21/09
Send PM

Re: [Triforce] Mario Kart GP2 on Dolphin new [Re: BadMouth]
#289911 - 06/20/12 04:46 PM

> I doubt it's in the emulator yet, but networking was possible with the original
> hardware.

Yeah I just meant that since it's based on GC emulation it'd probably not be a priority just for one game sadly. It's probably on the sega board in the triforce set which I believe is omitted from Dolphin.

>
> Progress on Hikiru, and now this!

Must have missed this.

http://www.youtube.com/retrorepair

MetalliC
Demul/MAME dev
Send PM

Re: [Triforce] Mario Kart GP2 on Dolphin new [Re: R. Belmont]
#289912 - 06/20/12 05:12 PM

> > IIRC the GC didn't have any provision for this so I guess it's unlikely.
>
> There were official Nintendo modem and Ethernet add-ons for the consumer GameCube,
> but they were pretty rare. (ETA: the GC version of Double Dash even supported them).

Triforce uses MIPS-based AMD Au1500 for networking (like in Sega Aurora), instead of NIC-chip in GC ethernet, so I don't think it will be easy to emulate or HLE it.

Edited by MetalliC (06/20/12 05:13 PM)

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#289914 - 06/20/12 05:48 PM

> but anyway good to know another arcade system was reverse engeneered and
> emulated.

AFAIK it's mainly HLE of the arcade side.
I think the iso's going around are bootlegs and not originals as well.

Edited by smf (06/20/12 05:53 PM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#289915 - 06/20/12 06:08 PM

> > > IIRC the GC didn't have any provision for this so I guess it's unlikely.
> >
> > There were official Nintendo modem and Ethernet add-ons for the consumer GameCube,
> > but they were pretty rare. (ETA: the GC version of Double Dash even supported
> them).
>
> Triforce uses MIPS-based AMD Au1500 for networking (like in Sega Aurora), instead of
> NIC-chip in GC ethernet, so I don't think it will be easy to emulate or HLE it.

That wasn't the discussion at hand: it was asserted that Dolphin is "unlikely" to support networking because he thought the GC didn't have it.

I'd be surprised if the Au1500 wasn't dead easy to HLE though - the entire reason you have a separate CPU do that job is so it appears to the main CPU as an easy HLE type of packet stream.

Lewis King
Reged: 12/25/11
Send PM

#289917 - 06/20/12 06:31 PM

Still not released on mame? Is that legal to emulate games before they as been post on the shelf?

MetalliC
Demul/MAME dev
Send PM

Re: [Triforce] Mario Kart GP2 on Dolphin new [Re: ]
#289919 - 06/20/12 06:46 PM

> AFAIK it's mainly HLE of the arcade side.
> I think the iso's going around are bootlegs and not originals as well.

yes, its HLE, but IMO there is only thing can be LLE-ed - Hitachi H8S/2676 MCU on "BaseBoard", I think its ESI-JVS bridge, CMOS, DSW if, just like MIE in Naomi/Hikaru, at least command system looks familiar. but until H8's internal ROM is not dumped only HLE possible.

about iso's: many people confirmed - "Media Board"s contain normal GC iso's and works like DVD-interface emulator, but uses different commands.

Edited by MetalliC (06/20/12 06:48 PM)

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: [Triforce] Mario Kart GP2 on Dolphin new [Re: Lewis King]
#289920 - 06/20/12 06:49 PM

> Still not released on mame? Is that legal to emulate games before they as been post
> on the shelf?

Will be hard to get fully working on MAME without the hacking. Be a while until they added it.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Lewis King
Send PM

Re: [Triforce] Mario Kart GP2 on Dolphin new [Re: Dullaron]
#289939 - 06/20/12 07:56 PM

> > Still not released on mame? Is that legal to emulate games before they as been post
> > on the shelf?
>
> Will be hard to get fully working on MAME without the hacking. Be a while until they
> added it.

Dullaron, i'm not asking for mame emulation, i asking about release them in to the mame emu, only.
That can help us use crlmamepro for the future emulators.
It's 100% impossible to be emulated on mame, less they can improve the emu.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#289945 - 06/20/12 08:54 PM

> yes, its HLE, but IMO there is only thing can be LLE-ed - Hitachi H8S/2676 MCU on
> "BaseBoard", I think its ESI-JVS bridge, CMOS, DSW if, just like MIE in Naomi/Hikaru,
> at least command system looks familiar. but until H8's internal ROM is not dumped
> only HLE possible.

The media board can be emulated, but currently it's HLE'd. Not all games were distributed on disc, some were on flash roms & some were downloaded from sega. Treating them all like iso's is convenient for playing the games, but isn't documentation for the original media.

> about iso's: many people confirmed - "Media Board"s contain normal GC iso's and works
> like DVD-interface emulator, but uses different commands.

The iso's that are being used for emulation are the ones that were put together for piracy using netboot & I believe the original contents are different (iirc they are encrypted). The media board does contain an iso, just not these ones. A dump of a gdrom and the iso stored in the media board aren't the same either.

You can also play the games on a Wii using quadforce, which is where the patches come from. The game is patched so loading goes to the Wii drive and controls go to the gamecube ports. Effectively the game is converted to run on retail hardware.

Edited by smf (06/20/12 09:04 PM)

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

#289946 - 06/20/12 09:27 PM

it's gonna be years before MAME starts running Triforce hardware in a playable speed.
stick with Dolphin.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: ciroconsentino@gmail.com

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: [Triforce] Mario Kart GP2 on Dolphin new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#289947 - 06/20/12 09:28 PM

> it's gonna be years before MAME starts running Triforce hardware in a playable speed.
> stick with Dolphin.

That is true, however it would be nice if we could get proper dumps before they all get overwritten with the bootlegs.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#289948 - 06/20/12 09:28 PM

> Still not released on mame? Is that legal to emulate games before they as been post
> on the shelf?

Emulators don't emulate games, they emulate the hardware that the games run on.

Emulation is not illegal.

S

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#289953 - 06/20/12 10:06 PM

> The iso's that are being used for emulation are the ones that were put together for
> piracy using netboot & I believe the original contents are different (iirc they are
> encrypted). The media board does contain an iso, just not these ones. A dump of a
> gdrom and the iso stored in the media board aren't the same either.

Yup, those are decrypted and patched. But that "scene" is far gone from Duddie's original idea of actually emulating the hardware anyway.

Lewis King
Send PM

Re: [Triforce] Mario Kart GP2 on Dolphin new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#289961 - 06/20/12 11:35 PM

> it's gonna be years before MAME starts running Triforce hardware in a playable speed.
> stick with Dolphin.

CiroConsentino

You not getting the point.
I said a game on the emu "as not working" in mame.
"Emulation will be impossible".

Sune

> Emulators don't emulate games, they emulate the hardware that the games run on.

> Emulation is not illegal.

Finally someone tells me is not illegal emulating games.
Thanks.
I know about emulate games from the hardware "they do the same thing with pirated chinese cards by using a usb cable" is not the same but is just like that, but the emu need some issues to fix in the future if it have some errors ingame, missing pallets and etc...

Some games in the next version will be fixed when was shut down in mame. One is Hardware and other is getting the game work in a simple emulator, "as mame do it itself." Only the source will get them work.

MetalliC
Demul/MAME dev
Send PM

#289962 - 06/21/12 12:22 AM

> The media board can be emulated, but currently it's HLE'd. Not all games were
> distributed on disc, some were on flash roms & some were downloaded from sega.

Okay, please tell me how to emulate Sega 315-6347A ASIC, that used on Mario Kart GP/2 flash carts ?

> Treating them all like iso's is convenient for playing the games, but isn't
> documentation for the original media.

> The iso's that are being used for emulation are the ones that were put together for
> piracy using netboot & I believe the original contents are different (iirc they are
> encrypted). The media board does contain an iso, just not these ones. A dump of a
> gdrom and the iso stored in the media board aren't the same either.
>

I dont want flame or something, but I think you are wrong, please read this 3 years old blog - there was already confirmed - MB contain iso's.
BUT yes, I agree - these 'dumps' may be already patched by someone for netboot.

and btw AFAIK at least half of Naomi cart 'dumps' was made using D.Knute's trojan in the same way (i.e. cart was readed to RAM then sended to PC), so it can't be called 'proper dumps' too

> You can also play the games on a Wii using quadforce, which is where the patches come
> from. The game is patched so loading goes to the Wii drive and controls go to the
> gamecube ports. Effectively the game is converted to run on retail hardware.

I don't won't say anything, read patch list by yourself here

Edited by MetalliC (06/21/12 12:40 AM)

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/27/11
Send PM

#289967 - 06/21/12 04:23 AM

Played this tonight for an hour or so. Works quite well. I get occasional slow down or a cut off comment from the announcer but otherwise it's pretty fantastic. These could also mean I need a slightly faster computer. Awesome work from the Dolphin Devs!

View my gameplay videos:
Light Gun Games with Aimtrak
Trackball Games with X-Arcade Trackball
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer with Dual Throttle Controls

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#289986 - 06/21/12 05:09 PM

Here is the video of emulated Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 :

...now, I can hardly wait for Donkey Kong Jungle Fever !

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#290005 - 06/21/12 11:20 PM

> I don't won't say anything, read patch list by yourself here

Oh, man, they've gone all ePSXe with per-game patches instead of improving the emulation. That's unfortunate.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#290023 - 06/22/12 03:47 AM

It's not quite as bad as it sounds. They've been removing per-game patches fairly frequently of late too, as they improve parts of it that are problematic.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#290046 - 06/22/12 12:11 PM

> > The media board can be emulated, but currently it's HLE'd. Not all games were
> > distributed on disc, some were on flash roms & some were downloaded from sega.
>
> Okay, please tell me how to emulate Sega 315-6347A ASIC, that used on Mario Kart GP/2
> flash carts ?

I don't know, but I'd start with emulating the SH4 on the media board.

> I dont want flame or something, but I think you are wrong, please read this 3 years
> old blog - there was already confirmed - MB contain iso's.

How can I be wrong when I said the media board contained iso's?

> BUT yes, I agree - these 'dumps' may be already patched by someone for netboot.

Not "may be", they are. The mario kart gp 1 definately as I know who did it.

> and btw AFAIK at least half of Naomi cart 'dumps' was made using D.Knute's trojan in
> the same way (i.e. cart was readed to RAM then sended to PC), so it can't be called
> 'proper dumps' too

That isn't the same way, he then went on to split the data up so that it would be the same as if he had dumped them. As some of the games were dumped properly it is an educated guess, which I would agree is better done by dumping every game properly. We can discuss why if you like.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

#290048 - 06/22/12 01:20 PM

Maybe I read it wrong but, in their forum, they say that the specific game settings in the emulator are there to make the game playable until the emulation gets improved.

Once that happens, these special settings are removed. They are in .ini files.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: ciroconsentino@gmail.com

MetalliC
Demul/MAME dev
Send PM

#290188 - 06/25/12 11:38 AM

> > Okay, please tell me how to emulate Sega 315-6347A ASIC, that used on Mario Kart GP/2 flash carts ?
>
> I don't know, but I'd start with emulating the SH4 on the media board.
>
I dont think this is good idea.
Triforce type1/2 media board just contain ALTERA FPGA, 2Mb flash chip (IPL?) and connected to (regular?) Sega DIMM board. so at first must be emulated DIMM with SH4 and then RE how ALTERA emulate Drive Interface commands and scrambles it. All this looks too complicated.

much interesting looks type3 - it combines functions of DIMM board and media board, and contains only one huge chip - mentioned earlier Sega's ASIC.
thanks to great work done by tmbinc we know Segaboot uploads encrypted firmware to that ASIC and have brute-forced DES-key.
I've extracted firmware.asic file and decrypted it - it looks like code for some CPU, but I cant identify for what CPU-type it is (
if anyone can/want help with this - PM me.

> How can I be wrong when I said the media board contained iso's?

oh, sorry, I probably missunderstood you.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#290287 - 06/26/12 06:02 PM

> Triforce type1/2 media board just contain ALTERA FPGA, 2Mb flash chip (IPL?) and
> connected to (regular?) Sega DIMM board. so at first must be emulated DIMM with SH4
> and then RE how ALTERA emulate Drive Interface commands and scrambles it. All this
> looks too complicated.

"looks too complicated, let's do that" is the unofficial MAME motto. I realize Demul has different goals (fame, women, money) than we do though ;-)

> I've extracted firmware.asic file and decrypted it - it looks like code for some CPU,
> but I cant identify for what CPU-type it is (
> if anyone can/want help with this - PM me.

Didn't tmbinc identify the CPU as an NEC V850? I would guess that's probably a similar instruction set to the V810 used in Virtual Boy and PC-FX.

brad000123
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/19/12
Send PM

#297724 - 10/19/12 06:39 AM

Great news want to join this ,,,,,,,,,,,
thanks

Test king testking
350-018 350-018
646-364 646-364
642-447 642-447

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 10511