View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Procyon
StrategyWiki.org operator
Reged: 02/07/04
Send PM

MAME4droid Reloaded clean set?
#303591 - 02/01/13 07:04 AM

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how to strip the MAME4Droid reloaded rom set (aka MAME 0.139u1 rom set) down to only those files which actually work. I'm thinking in terms of maximizing space on my SD card. I manually sorted the ROMs by size and manually confirmed that almost the entire first 6 gigs of the largest ROMs are naomi and model3 games which means they're complete space wasters as far as a 32GB SD card goes. That being said, once I got to the larger SNK games (KoF2k3, SvC, etc.) I stopped my search, but I'm sure there's more I could remove. I did a search on Google for a while, but didn't really come up with any efficient solution for hunting down and removing non-working ROMs. Naturally, this seemed to be the best place to pose this kind of question. If it's already been asked and answered, I apologize, just point me to the solution. Otherwise, I'd love to know any ideas that any of you have. Thanks very much.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Download the MAMEUI32 0.139u1 so that you can see what not working on the games list. new [Re: Procyon]
#303594 - 02/01/13 09:05 AM

Go here and then download this. http://mamedev.emulab.it/clrmamepro/

Use split setting.

I only keep the main sets from the csp2 to upload onto the iPad. There is a few that I don't play because of the texts not in English.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

MrV2K
Explainer in simple terms.
Reged: 04/23/04
Loc: SE, England
Send PM

Re: MAME4droid Reloaded clean set? new [Re: Procyon]
#303604 - 02/01/13 02:30 PM

You need a few things...

ClrMAMEPro.
The 0.139 DAT file from the progretto snaps site (All u dats are in the archive)
A full current set of roms.
The rollback set from the pleasuredome site.

All you need to do now is load up the DAT in clrMAME. Select Rebuilder and use the two roms folders for the sources. A couple of minutes later you'll have the full set.

There are a couple of guides on how to do this about. There's one on my site though it might be a bit old.

"I See Dead People!"

easyEmu

Procyon
Send PM

Re: MAME4droid Reloaded clean set? new [Re: MrV2K]
#303617 - 02/01/13 05:07 PM

No... you both kind of missed my point. I have a complete set for MAME 0.139u1 and I used ClrMAMEPro to confirm the validity of the ROMs. That's not the issue.

The issue is that the set is 26 GB, and of that 26, at least 6GB (at a minumum, probably more) are classified as non-working ROMs. As in, MAME supports them, and will load the game, but the emulation is incomplete, and you can't actually play them. So perhaps the correct term is incomplete emulation ROMs.

In a day and age of 500GB, 1TB, and 2TB drives, 6GB is not an issue, and I'd just live with them. But we're talking about a 32GB SD card that I'd like to make the most use of, and put other system's ROMs on. 6GB of wasted space is not exactly ideal. I was manually able to whittle the list down to 20 GB by eliminating the largest ROMs, but I'm sure there are further incomplete emulation ROMs that I could remove to get the directory even smaller.

So what I'm asking is, is there any utility that can filter out incomplete emulation ROMs?

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#303618 - 02/01/13 05:44 PM

> So what I'm asking is, is there any utility that can filter out incomplete emulation
> ROMs?

It's not automatic, but you could use a frontend like Emuloader to get a list of non-working drivers. From there you'd have to manually go through your ROMs and clear out the ones you don't want. Emuloader has a "delete game" option on its right-click menu, but I think that just removes the game from Emuloader's list, rather that deleting the ROM itself.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: MAME4droid Reloaded clean set? new [Re: DMala]
#303626 - 02/01/13 06:41 PM

> > So what I'm asking is, is there any utility that can filter out incomplete
> emulation
> > ROMs?
>
> It's not automatic, but you could use a frontend like Emuloader to get a list of
> non-working drivers. From there you'd have to manually go through your ROMs and clear
> out the ones you don't want. Emuloader has a "delete game" option on its right-click
> menu, but I think that just removes the game from Emuloader's list, rather that
> deleting the ROM itself.

Better yet, Ciro (Emuloader author) recently re-wrote MAME Content Manager, which DOES delete ROMs and might do what you want (can't remember if it can sort on GAME_NOT_WORKING but it can based on Category.ini). Even if it can't, I'm sure Ciro could add desired features quickly.

http://mcm.mameworld.info/

- Stiletto

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: MAME4droid Reloaded clean set? new [Re: Stiletto]
#303631 - 02/01/13 07:19 PM

There are plenty of working games that won't do you any favors on ARM devices, as well. Killer Instinct and KI2, all the ST-V games, CPS-3, and the Kaneko Super Nova games all rely on DRCs and there's no ARM backend (yet?) for that.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

Re: MAME4droid Reloaded clean set? new [Re: Stiletto]
#303632 - 02/01/13 07:28 PM

> > > So what I'm asking is, is there any utility that can filter out incomplete
> > emulation ROMs?
> > It's not automatic, but you could use a frontend like Emuloader to get a list of
> > non-working drivers. From there you'd have to manually go through your ROMs and
> clear
> > out the ones you don't want. Emuloader has a "delete game" option on its
> right-click
> > menu, but I think that just removes the game from Emuloader's list, rather that
> > deleting the ROM itself.

if you use the "Delete Selected Games" in Emu Loader, it actually deletes game .zip files and config files from the disk, not from the games list.

> Better yet, Ciro (Emuloader author) recently re-wrote MAME Content Manager, which
> DOES delete ROMs and might do what you want (can't remember if it can sort on
> GAME_NOT_WORKING but it can based on Category.ini). Even if it can't, I'm sure Ciro
> could add desired features quickly.
>
> http://mcm.mameworld.info/

I could add a feature in MCM Plus to show the set status yes, but if I'm not mistaken, the only way to get the driver status info is from MAME's "-listxml" output. Generating this output takes several seconds. Good thing it only does that once after you select a new MAME executable.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: ciroconsentino@gmail.com

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: MAME4droid Reloaded clean set? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#303634 - 02/01/13 07:46 PM

> There are plenty of working games that won't do you any favors on ARM devices, as
> well. Killer Instinct and KI2, all the ST-V games, CPS-3, and the Kaneko Super Nova
> games all rely on DRCs and there's no ARM backend (yet?) for that.

Is there really a way to find those, though, other than being familiar with the code or through trial and error? Personally, if I were running MAME on a device where space was at a premium, I'd probably start with a blank slate and just add the games I want, rather than trying to pare down the entire massive list.

Procyon
Send PM

#303635 - 02/01/13 08:57 PM

@Ciro: I see, so if you did add that functionality to MCM+ (which would be very much appreciated), one would need a MAME 0.139u1 executable in order to generate the xml file for that to work, correct? That shouldn't be too difficult to find... I assume MCM+ can also filter out CHD reliant sets as well?

@RB: I don't have any experience with the others, but CPS3 actually runs fairly well on Android. On lower end devices, you pretty much need Tiger Arcade, but on Tegra 3 devices, even M4D Reloaded can run SF3 at a decent (if not full) frame rate. You can find some videos on YouTube of SF3 performance on Android.

Thanks for your help everyone.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#303636 - 02/01/13 09:01 PM

> Is there really a way to find those, though, other than being familiar with the code
> or through trial and error? Personally, if I were running MAME on a device where
> space was at a premium, I'd probably start with a blank slate and just add the games
> I want, rather than trying to pare down the entire massive list.

I don't disagree, that's exactly how I populated my Nexus 7.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

#303638 - 02/01/13 10:37 PM

Yes. MCM Plus only needs a MAME binary and catver.ini

Filter CHD ? You mean, exclude or include all games that use .chd files ? Currently it doesn't do that, but by reading MAME's "-listxml" output, I can make MCM Plus create a list of games that use .chd files, so yes... this is possible.

To keep the app compatible with 800x600 resolution (requested), I need to figure out a way to add a filters panel.

One downside of creating a list with MAME's -listxml is that it can take up to 40 seconds for the file to be generated (Windows cache system's fault). But this is done only once when you select a new MAME binary...

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#303639 - 02/01/13 10:56 PM

> Is there really a way to find those, though, other than being familiar with the code
> or through trial and error?

It wouldn't be that much work to take the MAME XML output from -listxml and write an XSL transform to build a DAT file that excludes all the games with the non-working flag (and/or other flags). Then you could add additional conditions to the XSL transform to exclude specific games, parents, or entire drivers that you know don't work on the target device.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: MAME4droid Reloaded clean set? new [Re: krick]
#303640 - 02/01/13 11:12 PM

Doesn't ROMLister strip the sets the way you guys want?
http://www.waste.org/~winkles/ROMLister/

Maybe they could add some option to ignore ROMs that also require CHDs, but since I only run on my PC, I don't keep up with this stuff.

I guess it's too bad the 7-zip support didn't get added earlier for you guys

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Oh OK. new [Re: Procyon]
#303659 - 02/02/13 09:41 AM

I just giving you idea on what I done. No problem.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Bernoulli
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/26/06
Send PM

#303679 - 02/02/13 10:08 PM

Funnily enough I recently ran Killer Instinct on an iPad 4 via Gridlee and I got, at a guess, around 0.5 frames per second.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

see this post here... new [Re: Procyon]
#303702 - 02/03/13 02:40 AM

some bling to MCM Plus
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...p;vc=1&new=

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 24927