Pages: 1

Mr.Arcade
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/08/12
Send PM

Clicking monitor
#319134 - 12/22/13 06:15 PM

Hi all,

Been a while but back again. Couldn't resist to buy a new cab. This time an original Inskor V-Rally upright racecabinet. Bought it with message: working unknown.

When I fired it up, the monitor worked. Had problems with the game (was a build in PC!), so 31 khz VGA-monitor (Hantarex 28 Polo Star). Removed the PC and with the help of an external TFT-monitor fixed the PC. It seemed the CMOS battery was empty and there were some boot-problems. Replaced the battery en via BIOS repaired the boot-sequence.

Put the PC back in and ....... dead monitor. The only thing I can hear is a soft clicking sound coming form the cased part on the chassis (tansformer?). It's not coming from the High Votage Flyback.

With the multimeter I measured the incoming (into the monitor) voltage, that was 223 (Europe) so just fine, I guess. There ends my knowledge of a crt-monitor en electricity....

Is there a simple way to make the monitor work of, at least, find out what is happening?

Thanks!

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Clicking monitor new [Re: Mr.Arcade]
#319159 - 12/23/13 02:36 PM

> Hi all,
>
> Been a while but back again. Couldn't resist to buy a new cab. This time an original
> Inskor V-Rally upright racecabinet. Bought it with message: working unknown.
>
> When I fired it up, the monitor worked. Had problems with the game (was a build in
> PC!), so 31 khz VGA-monitor (Hantarex 28 Polo Star). Removed the PC and with the help
> of an external TFT-monitor fixed the PC. It seemed the CMOS battery was empty and
> there were some boot-problems. Replaced the battery en via BIOS repaired the
> boot-sequence.
>
> Put the PC back in and ....... dead monitor. The only thing I can hear is a soft
> clicking sound coming form the cased part on the chassis (tansformer?). It's not
> coming from the High Votage Flyback.
>
> With the multimeter I measured the incoming (into the monitor) voltage, that was 223
> (Europe) so just fine, I guess. There ends my knowledge of a crt-monitor en
> electricity....
>
> Is there a simple way to make the monitor work of, at least, find out what is
> happening?
>
> Thanks!

Possibly the bad caps, B+ triggering a HV shutdown, or even a bad HOT. If you aren't comfortable digging around the monitor chassis with a multimeter, I'd start scouring ebay for a new one.

Mr.Arcade
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/08/12
Send PM

Re: Clicking monitor new [Re: italie]
#319164 - 12/23/13 09:10 PM

Thanks,

But what I don't understand is: One minute it's working all fine. Then I (only) plug of the PC, repair it, plug it back and the monitor is dead..... Haven't even touched it!?

There has to be some adjustment to kill it, or was it just bad luck?

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Clicking monitor new [Re: Mr.Arcade]
#319177 - 12/24/13 01:40 AM

> Thanks,
>
> But what I don't understand is: One minute it's working all fine. Then I (only) plug
> of the PC, repair it, plug it back and the monitor is dead..... Haven't even touched
> it!?
>
> There has to be some adjustment to kill it, or was it just bad luck?

If there is one thing I've learned with electronics over the years, it's that so much as looking at something funny is enough reason for it to break.

(There could have been some un-obvious underlying reason like static or something...)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2661