View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

VGCodeMaster
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/22/15
Send PM

Trying to decide what to do.
#336273 - 01/22/15 01:01 PM

First of all, I rescued an ALREADY gutted COMBATRIBES arcade machine. all that was left was the controls and jamma connector.

I bought a J-Pac. After some issues I have it working.

Due to a desire to keep what is left of the cabinet as original as possible, I am not adding buttons. I consider every cigarette burn because someone rested a smoke against the button a testament to my childhood when people played in the arcade and smoking was publicly accepted.

Don't ask why, it just is special to me. It's history. To defile history is wrong to me. (So yes, I will be planning a second MAME cabinet someday to support more things.)

However, this is what we have:

3 joysticks, 2 buttons per person and 3 player select buttons.

I have a few different choices here. Well, I don't like how a keyboard is needed for adding coins and for selecting players. For some reason my player select buttons are not doing anything (that I can tell.) They may need to be remapped somehow.

Next, I need to decide if I do remap them, if I make them player start 1 - 2 or 3 OR if I decide to make them a third button. I was playing Golden Axe and noticed right away, I can jump and attack, but sadly a third button is needed to use the magic. So I have to decide what is more important. It's a TOUGH choice.

Also, I figure I can easily get a USB number pad, the one with just numerical numbers and place that somewhere so people could choose player and add coins so as to not do any major changes to the machine.

I am just looking for advice and corrections if anything I mentioned won't work. I am very new to this and would love to make new friends.

I am VGCodeMaster on Steam and Youtube.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Trying to decide what to do. new [Re: VGCodeMaster]
#336285 - 01/22/15 06:58 PM

As for Golden Axe and using Magic.... I just tried it out in Shadow Dancer. You can assign the Magic (action) to 2 buttons when they're pressed simultaneously. Like, Hold Player 1 Start and press Attack.

LEVEL-4

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Don't bother...... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#336298 - 01/23/15 12:48 AM

Either restore it, or MAME it all the way. That is a 'no one fucking cares' games.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Don't bother...... new [Re: Traso]
#336313 - 01/23/15 07:44 AM

> Either restore it, or MAME it all the way. That is a 'no one fucking cares' games.

*not sure why you're replying to my post*

If it is gutted, and he wanted to restore it properly - then he'd have to find a PCB for the game.

Of course, it's ultimately up to him, but... If he wants to get any practical use out of it... Yeah. MAME it all the way. The only way that would be a hard decision to make is if he gets too attached to it for either some personal or nostalgic reasons.

LEVEL-4

VGCodeMaster
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Don't bother...... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#336316 - 01/23/15 10:08 AM

You misunderstand me. It IS MAMED.

I refuse to ADD buttons by drilling into the existing historical 2 buttons per player which limits how many MAME games I can run.

VGCodeMaster
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Don't bother...... new [Re: VGCodeMaster]
#336317 - 01/23/15 10:11 AM

I am trying how to get the MOST I can out of it with the three joystick, 2 buttons per player and the 3 player select buttons.

The MAMEgui32 is such a great and simple non intensive program but I don't know how to fix the controls that are messed up... I would like to be able to customize each game to fix them.

For instance, when I ran combatribes it didn't utilize the player select buttons... which doesn't make any sense to me since it IS a combatribes cabinet in the first place.

Also, I don't think I can find the 3 player version of Combatribes to fit my cabinet. All I seem to see is 2 players.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Don't bother...... new [Re: VGCodeMaster]
#336353 - 01/24/15 09:04 PM

Make a new CP for it.

@Tomu: just keeping things in line, yo.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Comboman
Can't think of a good title
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Halifax, Canada
Send PM

Re: Trying to decide what to do. new [Re: VGCodeMaster]
#336434 - 01/27/15 07:12 PM

Lots of people have added switches to the coin eject buttons on their cabs. This gives you a couple extra buttons without modifying the outside of the cab.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2569