MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

andyt
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/08/16
Send PM

Hanaho HotrodSE to keyboard to PC using PS2 connector problem!
#351298 - 03/08/16 01:38 AM

Hi everyone,
Got a little problem.
Today I connect my Hanaho Hotrod SE in my keyboard (all of em has PS2 connectors, so its keyboard and hotrod plugged into a cable that is also PS2 into USB since I have no PS2 input on my PC) Windows 7 using mame 64 version .149
Windows 7 64 bits!

So when I play lets say mortal kombat, everything works fine with the Hotrod controller except that when I try to walk backward or forward or down or up it doesn't keep its motion.
Lets say I go forward, the character will go forward and will stop, even if I keep the pressure on the joystick.

Or if I use a schumps the plane goes up a little and stops,same with the back and forward and down.

But if I use my keyboard there is no such problems!

So it has to be the Hotrod since the keyboard works fine.

what would be the best thing to do, not sure if my PS2 to USB is a active cable!

Edited by andyt (03/08/16 03:58 AM)

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Hanaho HotrodSE to keyboard to PC using PS2 connector problem! new [Re: andyt]
#351446 - 03/11/16 07:03 AM

Try Mrepeat. Worked for me years ago. Gonna have to do it again with my Slik Stik, cos my new rig is all usb, too.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

yeah, likely the Hanaho..... new [Re: Traso]
#351477 - 03/12/16 12:51 AM

People have always had USB connection problems with that. My '03-ish I-PAC hasn't. Got it now connected to my new all-usb rig with a PS/2 to USB adapter (size of your thumb), and it works like it's PS/2. Or maybe it's my not-ancient PC. Either way.....

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Hanaho HotrodSE to keyboard to PC using PS2 connector problem! new [Re: andyt]
#351546 - 03/13/16 10:21 PM

The Hotrod's encoder doesn't work with 99% of PS2 / USB adaptors; this is unfortunately a well-known problem. You have to buy a new USB-native encoder and replace the stock Hanaho board (which really isn't too bad to do).

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: Hanaho HotrodSE to keyboard to PC using PS2 connector problem! new [Re: R. Belmont]
#351548 - 03/13/16 11:03 PM

People have had the same problem with connecting the PS/2 I-PAC or J-PAC with an adapter. At least for the Ultimarc products, they actually sell a custom USB cable that works because their older encoders auto-detect PS/2 or USB. I'm not sure about the Hanaho Hotrod. Is Hanaho still in business?

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

Re: Hanaho HotrodSE to keyboard to PC using PS2 connector problem! new [Re: krick]
#351558 - 03/14/16 03:56 AM

> People have had the same problem with connecting the PS/2 I-PAC or J-PAC with an
> adapter. At least for the Ultimarc products, they actually sell a custom USB cable
> that works because their older encoders auto-detect PS/2 or USB. I'm not sure about
> the Hanaho Hotrod. Is Hanaho still in business?

I think Hanaho went defunct back in '07 or '08. IIRC they had some legal trouble with Capcom just before disappearing.

I don't recall ever hearing of a fully workable PS/2-USB adapter for a HotRod from back when I owned one. We used to have a HotRod support site here on MW back in the day and it was a really common question. RB's suggestion of a modern encoder sounds like it makes the most sense.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Hanaho HotrodSE to keyboard to PC using PS2 connector problem! new [Re: jeremymtc]
#351577 - 03/14/16 04:12 PM

> > People have had the same problem with connecting the PS/2 I-PAC or J-PAC with an
> > adapter. At least for the Ultimarc products, they actually sell a custom USB cable
> > that works because their older encoders auto-detect PS/2 or USB. I'm not sure about
> > the Hanaho Hotrod. Is Hanaho still in business?
>
>
> I think Hanaho went defunct back in '07 or '08. IIRC they had some legal trouble with
> Capcom just before disappearing.
>
> I don't recall ever hearing of a fully workable PS/2-USB adapter for a HotRod from
> back when I owned one. We used to have a HotRod support site here on MW back in the
> day and it was a really common question. RB's suggestion of a modern encoder sounds
> like it makes the most sense.

X-Arcade actually sells a full upgrade kit.
http://shop.xgaming.com/products/hanaho-hotrod-joystick-upgrade-kit-with-switches

- Stiletto

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Hanaho HotrodSE to keyboard to PC using PS2 connector problem! new [Re: Stiletto]
#351612 - 03/15/16 08:49 PM

> X-Arcade actually sells a full upgrade kit.
> http://shop.xgaming.com/products/hanaho-hotrod-joystick-upgrade-kit-with-switches

That's actually super-smart. And should be very easy for users too.

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

Re: Hanaho HotrodSE to keyboard to PC using PS2 connector problem! new [Re: R. Belmont]
#352612 - 04/07/16 01:02 AM

> The Hotrod's encoder doesn't work with 99% of PS2 / USB adaptors; this is
> unfortunately a well-known problem. You have to buy a new USB-native encoder and
> replace the stock Hanaho board (which really isn't too bad to do).

Was this that incident where an arcade joystick used the stock Microchip PIC usb firmware, which was super buggy, and so it would cause computers running osx to crash due to a usb stack bug (and would work on linux but fill syslog/dmesg with pages of errors while in use)?

Or is this a different joystick with buggy firmware?

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Hanaho HotrodSE to keyboard to PC using PS2 connector problem! new [Re: Lord Nightmare]
#352614 - 04/07/16 01:46 AM

> > The Hotrod's encoder doesn't work with 99% of PS2 / USB adaptors; this is
> > unfortunately a well-known problem. You have to buy a new USB-native encoder and
> > replace the stock Hanaho board (which really isn't too bad to do).
>
> Was this that incident where an arcade joystick used the stock Microchip PIC usb
> firmware, which was super buggy, and so it would cause computers running osx to crash
> due to a usb stack bug (and would work on linux but fill syslog/dmesg with pages of
> errors while in use)?
>
> Or is this a different joystick with buggy firmware?

Neither - the original Hanaho Hotrod used a PS/2 encoder, it was not USB whatsoever.

Accordingly its compatibility with PS/2 to USB adapters is quite irregular.

You had to do something like this to upgrade it to USB:
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=351577

- Stiletto

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Hanaho HotrodSE to keyboard to PC using PS2 connector problem! new [Re: Stiletto]
#352911 - 04/12/16 11:12 PM

I'm surprised these things are still around, fuck. In any case, for that price they could get a new controller (or hack a game pad), and probably do less work.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2640