View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Procyon
StrategyWiki.org operator
Reged: 02/07/04
Send PM

Poor crt-geom performance in brand new laptop
#366670 - 06/09/17 03:29 AM

Hello, I have a new laptop which contains an NVidia GTX 1050 with a native screen resolution of 3840x2160. It blasts out most 3D games with ease, so I was really surprised to find that when I enabled the crt-geom setting through bgfx, MAME slowed to a crawl. I was trying Street Fighter Alpha, and the frame rate dropped down to 60%. It only did this for crt-geom, crt-geom-deluxe, and hlsl. Stuff like supereagle and hq4x ran fine. Any ideas on how I can remedy this? My only suspicion is that the native resolution just too much for crt-geom to process at 60fps..? Thanks very much for your help.

Procyon
Send PM

Solved my own problem... "Run with graphics processor" new [Re: Procyon]
#366671 - 06/09/17 04:06 AM

So I didn't know about the need to select a graphics processor so that I was making use of the NVidia hardware. I right clicked on the executable, and there it was. I'm coming from a linux environment where I just always kept the hardware acceleration enabled. Now that I not only figured out how to enable it, but also enable it by default, it kicks in on its own, even from the command line. BGFX with crt-geom-deluxe is running at 100% now, and I can even crank it up a little over 150% when I turn the throttle off.

I'd love to get this in some sort of knowledge base for other users who stumble on the same problem, but I don't know where would be best. I guess here will have to do for now.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Solved my own problem... "Run with graphics processor" new [Re: Procyon]
#366676 - 06/09/17 01:25 PM

> So I didn't know about the need to select a graphics processor so that I was making
> use of the NVidia hardware. I right clicked on the executable, and there it was. I'm
> coming from a linux environment where I just always kept the hardware acceleration
> enabled. Now that I not only figured out how to enable it, but also enable it by
> default, it kicks in on its own, even from the command line. BGFX with
> crt-geom-deluxe is running at 100% now, and I can even crank it up a little over 150%
> when I turn the throttle off.
>
> I'd love to get this in some sort of knowledge base for other users who stumble on
> the same problem, but I don't know where would be best. I guess here will have to do
> for now.

Oh! Dude! What OS are you using, is it Windows 10? How do you select "Run with graphics processor"? Where can I find that option in Win10 to turn it on? That might be why my performance on my laptop has been so abysmal with shaders turned on.

Procyon
Send PM

Re: Solved my own problem... "Run with graphics processor" new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#366687 - 06/10/17 05:11 AM

Like I said, in Windows 10, just right click on the executable. One of the options in the menu should be "Run with graphics processor >" and if you hover over it, you will see some options, along with a "Change default graphics processor..." option at the bottom. Now, I have no idea if this is standard vanilla Windows 10, or perhaps its a byproduct of installing nVidia drivers (I suspect it may be since that last option opens nVidia's control panel) but if you do in fact have a GeForce installed, you likely have that item in your context menu.

casm
Cinematronics > *
Reged: 08/27/07
Send PM

It's an Nvidia byproduct. new [Re: Procyon]
#366688 - 06/10/17 07:07 AM

> Like I said, in Windows 10, just right click on the executable. One of the options in
> the menu should be "Run with graphics processor >" and if you hover over it, you will
> see some options, along with a "Change default graphics processor..." option at the
> bottom. Now, I have no idea if this is standard vanilla Windows 10, or perhaps its a
> byproduct of installing nVidia drivers (I suspect it may be since that last option
> opens nVidia's control panel) but if you do in fact have a GeForce installed, you
> likely have that item in your context menu.

This is most certainly an Nvidia byproduct. I'm going through something similar to MG right now with a reinstall of the gaming PC in the other room, and the option is only available once the Nvidia control panel is installed.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Solved my own problem... "Run with graphics processor" new [Re: Procyon]
#366690 - 06/10/17 01:07 PM

> Like I said, in Windows 10, just right click on the executable. One of the options in
> the menu should be "Run with graphics processor >" and if you hover over it, you will
> see some options, along with a "Change default graphics processor..." option at the
> bottom. Now, I have no idea if this is standard vanilla Windows 10, or perhaps its a
> byproduct of installing nVidia drivers (I suspect it may be since that last option
> opens nVidia's control panel) but if you do in fact have a GeForce installed, you
> likely have that item in your context menu.

Oddly enough, I don't have that menu option, and yet I do in fact have the GeForce drivers installed. I'm on a MacBook Pro 17" that I bought in January 2015, it has both integrated Intel graphics and GeForce 750M graphics, so I'm not sure why I wouldn't be getting that option.

Curses, I was hoping that that was why I couldn't seem to get any more than just a little above full speed with BGFX on my laptop.

Sacrilego
Reged: 09/10/05
Send PM

#366702 - 06/11/17 08:34 AM

> Oddly enough, I don't have that menu option, and yet I do in fact have the GeForce
> drivers installed. I'm on a MacBook Pro 17" that I bought in January 2015, it has
> both integrated Intel graphics and GeForce 750M graphics, so I'm not sure why I
> wouldn't be getting that option.
>
> Curses, I was hoping that that was why I couldn't seem to get any more than just a
> little above full speed with BGFX on my laptop.

Apple hides the onboard intel graphics when booting windows through bootcamp on MacBooks with dual graphics. That's very likely the reason why you don't see those options.

I have the exact same MacBook. You should only see the Nvidia 750M in the device manager.
That got me really confused at first and I thought I had something wrong with my installation.

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

Re: It's an Nvidia byproduct. new [Re: casm]
#366710 - 06/11/17 10:01 PM

This is the so called Optimus technology by Nvidia. They made it, to increase battery-power time for laptops. What first sounds good, is sadly very awful when it comes to certain things, like hacking the display drivers to output 15khz resolutions for example. You will not be able to do that, because you share your display-output with the integrated Intel graphics and everything is outputted through this Intel graphics port. Dedicated Nvidia cards in laptops, without Optimus technology, dont have that problem. I regret it so much, that i had bought my laptop with Optimus technology.

... and yep, you can only choose which graphic processor is used through the Nvidia panel. I wouldnt advice to use the Nvidia processor all the time for everything (at least if you use the laptop in mobile mode), as you will not have any advantage from the Optimus technology at all and shorten batterypower time.

smf
I've been here before
Reged: 01/16/15
Send PM

#366723 - 06/12/17 09:29 AM

> it has
> both integrated Intel graphics and GeForce 750M graphics, so I'm not sure why I
> wouldn't be getting that option.

if you run with -verbose then it will tell you which graphics card it's using.

Video: Monitor 65537 = "\\.\DISPLAY1" (primary)
Direct3D: Using Direct3D 9
Physical width 242, height 346
Direct3D: Initialize
Direct3D: Configuring adapter #0 = Intel(R) HD Graphics 530
RawInput: APIs detected

If it's using the 750M then it may just be too slow, or it might be using main ram to pretend that it has more ram than it actually has (an old nvidia trick, which on some gpu's can be disabled).

nVidia optimus is the standard way of switching between intel & nvidia chips. The nvidia just outputs into the intel framebuffer, so it really just works as a display accelerator. Earlier laptops used a more complicated system where each chip was powered up and hooked up to the video out, which required specific device drivers from the laptop manufacturer (who never bothered keeping up to date with nvidia releases). I don't know which method Apple used, but it sounds like it's not optimus.

Edited by John Doe (06/12/17 09:33 AM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1821