View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Propdept
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/30/16
Send PM

My idea of a Nag Screen
#368378 - 07/30/17 03:19 AM

Hello this is my idea of what a nag screen is.
It tells me that the sound is not accurate or there is no sound.
It tells me that the video is not accurate.

Is that generally what the rest of you would describe as a Nag screen?

How do I get rid of them?

All I want is to click on the game intermediately boots to the game can someone please give me advice on this?

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: My idea of a Nag Screen new [Re: Propdept]
#368383 - 07/30/17 04:46 AM

That's not a nag screen.

My advice to you is to delete your post & not mention it here again...

You probably won't like the answers you get(depending on others' mood at the time of their reading this).

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#368384 - 07/30/17 04:57 AM

The information screens are extremely relaxed. I can hit any direction on my D-Pad or any button to clear it.

I enjoy reading the information to said game before I launch it. It's far more convenient and easier to read it there rather than having to manually look up the information.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#368389 - 07/30/17 07:13 AM

We don't support or encourage builds that do that. It has detrimental effects:

• Starting a game and being disappointed when it doesn't work because you weren't warned
  • Getting frustrated at games when they're subtly broken but you weren't warned about imperfect protection emulation etc.
  • Not being warned that your ROM sets are bad and then not knowing why the game doesn't work properly
  • Bug reports for known issues that these screens would warn you about

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#368390 - 07/30/17 08:58 AM

>

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#368417 - 07/31/17 02:09 AM

> Is that generally what the rest of you would describe as a Nag screen?

No, not at all. A nag screen is: "You have run this software 3 times, you need to register". Or "Buy this extension to our product" type screens that popup. Install AVG and you will see these popup regularly.

The MAME screen you are talking about provides useful information about the emulation state of a game = very useful. Essential even. Definitely not a nag screen.

Moose

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#368422 - 07/31/17 06:52 AM

The purpose is to stop bug reports from coming in over and over for years about issues already known about and driving the people insane who work on mame. I would say the punishment for getting rid of a nag screen and then reporting a known bug should be getting a shit porch. If only an automatically shit porch was as easy as coding in a nag screen, then removing it might be fair game.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: My idea of a Nag Post new [Re: Propdept]
#368424 - 07/31/17 08:41 AM

> How do I get rid of them?
>

Remember that you're playing on an emulator and will likely be using the controller to like, move and stuff. So move that controller anyway. And, like magic, it actually goes away with a mere flinch. If you're too lazy to even do that, a mere "nag screen" is the least of your problems.

Or, get and play on the actual hardware/game/PCB/arcade cabinet to avoid this.

No. The real problem isn't with the screen, but your failure to accept the screen. Work on You.

LEVEL-4

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

OK new [Re: Propdept]
#368433 - 07/31/17 04:39 PM

> Hello this is my idea of what a nag screen is.
> It tells me that the sound is not accurate or there is no sound.
> It tells me that the video is not accurate.
>
>
>
> All I want is to click on the game intermediately boots to the game can someone
> please give me advice on this?

Cool

Propdept
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/30/16
Send PM

Re: My idea of a Nag Post new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#368461 - 08/01/17 02:41 AM

Hello I understand that my question may have pissed off some of you but I feel I have a legitimate question. I understand that I could wiggle the joystick and the screen will go away, but that is not what I am seeking to do. In building my game Cabinet, I want the experience to be as authentic as it was in the arcade without Wiggling anything. I understand that information, audio is not correct, the video is not correct, is important information for somebody and that's fine. But what I'm trying to find out is there an option to remove the audio or video caution label. It seems that my question violates the rules of this forum and for that I offer no excuses however differences of opinion should be respected and I should feel free to ask a question and effort to gain better knowledge and understanding of Mame.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#368462 - 08/01/17 02:51 AM

In standard baseline MAME, you can disable the "game info" screens by enabling skip_gameinfo in the mame.ini file.

However the "warning" screens are not supposed to be disabled. They are there for a reason so that people don't report bugs for games that have known issues.

Most end users don't realize there is a difference in the two screens and refer to them all as "nag" screens.

That said, if you *really* want to remove the warning screens, you're welcome to download the MAME source code and build tools from http://mamedev.org/ and compile your own custom EXE with the warning screens disabled. If you want it bad enough, you can use Google to figure out what to modify and how to compile MAME. People with zero coding skill do it all the time.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#368463 - 08/01/17 03:01 AM

> Hello I understand that my question may have pissed off some of you but I feel I
> have a legitimate question. I understand that I could wiggle the joystick and the
> screen will go away, but that is not what I am seeking to do. In building my game
> Cabinet, I want the experience to be as authentic as it was in the arcade without
> Wiggling anything. I understand that information, audio is not correct, the video is
> not correct, is important information for somebody and that's fine. But what I'm
> trying to find out is there an option to remove the audio or video caution label. It
> seems that my question violates the rules of this forum and for that I offer no
> excuses however differences of opinion should be respected and I should feel free to
> ask a question and effort to gain better knowledge and understanding of Mame.

If you want your cabinet to be authentic then don't put games which have warnings on it.

If the warning screens are present, the emulation isn't going to be authentic anyway, that's what they're telling you.

So you either care about it being authentic (only perfectly emulated games) or you don't care about it being authentic (in which case, the warning screens don't change how authentic it is)

these excuses are weak.

casm
Cinematronics > *
Reged: 08/27/07
Send PM

#368464 - 08/01/17 06:24 AM

> Hello I understand that my question may have pissed off some of you but I feel I
> have a legitimate question.

Don't mistake the responses you've received for people being pissed-off. It's just that your question happens to be one that completely misses the point of the warning screens being there in the first place.

> I understand that I could wiggle the joystick and the
> screen will go away,

So you have a working, ready-to-go solution at your fingertips. Excellent! Except:

> but that is not what I am seeking to do.

Ah, there's the crux of the matter.

> In building my game
> Cabinet, I want the experience to be as authentic as it was in the arcade without
> Wiggling anything.

Two parts to this answer:

1) See Haze's reply for an answer to the authenticity question.

2) Building on 1) above and speaking as someone who also runs MAME in a cabinet, it's really not that big of a deal. By definition MAME cabinets didn't exist in arcades back in the day, so accepting that you're playing old games on a modern platform (and everything that goes along with that, for good, bad, or the minorly-inconvenient) is probably for the best.

> I understand that information, audio is not correct, the video is
> not correct, is important information for somebody and that's fine. But what I'm
> trying to find out is there an option to remove the audio or video caution label.

I think it's safe to say that we all understand what it is that you're aiming for.

> It
> seems that my question violates the rules of this forum and for that I offer no
> excuses

Violating the rules of the forum? Doubtful. Now read my next reply:

> however differences of opinion should be respected and I should feel free to
> ask a question and effort to gain better knowledge and understanding of Mame.

Congratulations! You did exactly that, and as part of that process gained a better understanding as to why those warnings are there.

Try this: walk into a biker bar (one with real bikers, not dentists and accountants out on their Harleys for the weekend) and ask a few people why they're a bunch of greasy, foul-smelling tattooed longhairs. Now see what happens next.

Summary: don't try to play the victim after you ask a question and receive answers to that question that you hadn't anticipated (or wanted).

Now go take a look at the advice krick gave you in this reply, which pretty much hands you everything you need to know to make what you want do happen.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#368468 - 08/01/17 10:20 AM

> have a legitimate question.

Nah. Not "pissed" in the slightest. You just come across as whining (or whinging -if you're from the UK) about something probably 99% of us have come to accept and think almost nothing of (other than finding it to be useful info). Think of it as part of the 'price of admission' -if you will, for having the convenience of playing arcade games on an emulator. I'd rather have a large number of games available to me on my computer, "nag screens" and all, rather than big cabs filling up valuable floor space.

But, I can see your point.... So, any user that wants this enough should know to not report bugs, etc. said "nag screens" would have warned them about.

Or have some way where it gives the user the option to choose; "Do not show this message again."

LEVEL-4

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#368472 - 08/01/17 03:38 PM

> Hello this is my idea of what a nag screen is.
> It tells me that the sound is not accurate or there is no sound.
> It tells me that the video is not accurate.
>
>
>
> All I want is to click on the game intermediately boots to the game can someone
> please give me advice on this?

If those get removed then how do you know the games are working, having issues and not working at all?

Seem funny to watch someone get mad because there no message on the screen saying what is wrong. Think about that.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Send PM

#368530 - 08/03/17 05:12 PM

> But what I'm trying to find out is there an option to remove
> the audio or video caution label.

No, there is no such option. The reason being that the developers put these notices in there on purpose, in order to prevent bug reports about (parts of) machines/games that are known not to work correctly. The only option you have left is downloading the MAME sources, modifying them yourself so that these legitimate notices no longer appear, and then compiling it, but: If you chose to do so you are really completely on your own, the build will be an 'unsupported' build, and you will get no assistance with it whatsoever because: The developers put these notices in there on purpose, in order to prevent bug reports about (parts of) machines/games that are known not to work correctly.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: My idea of a Nag Screen new [Re: Dullaron]
#368532 - 08/03/17 06:51 PM

> If those get removed then how do you know the games are working, having issues and
> not working at all?

Granted, a lot of other emulators don't have nag screens like that, they tend to include a text/help file showing which games are fully supported, which games are playable but with issues and which games are buggy or not working at all. That said, a lot of emulators also don't emulate 30000+ machines, such a text file showing the full details of every single system and game emulated in MAME would be absolutely huge.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#368670 - 08/11/17 05:01 PM

If the audio and video are not correct on a driver, than the info screen is the least of your authenticity problems.

anikom15
Instigator/Local CRT Guru
Reged: 04/11/16
Send PM

#368698 - 08/12/17 09:54 PM

Honestly this just makes me think you're selling MAME cabinets for profit and don't want anyone to know what's under the hood.

Jdurgi
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: NEW England, CT
Send PM

Re: My idea of a Nag Post new [Re: krick]
#368718 - 08/13/17 08:10 PM

> In standard baseline MAME, you can disable the "game info" screens by enabling
> skip_gameinfo in the mame.ini file.
>
> However the "warning" screens are not supposed to be disabled. They are there for a
> reason so that people don't report bugs for games that have known issues.
>
> Most end users don't realize there is a difference in the two screens and refer to
> them all as "nag" screens.
>
> That said, if you *really* want to remove the warning screens, you're welcome to
> download the MAME source code and build tools from http://mamedev.org/ and compile
> your own custom EXE with the warning screens disabled. If you want it bad enough, you
> can use Google to figure out what to modify and how to compile MAME. People with zero
> coding skill do it all the time.

This, this, and this. I had the same questions years ago, but also figured out that I should try and learn basic fundamentals about programming and dug into the source code and made the modifications myself. Also changed some regions, etc. Basically, I made my own version of MAME suited for me.

It's not difficult to learn if effort is put into it. And no, making posts asking others how to do it won't get you anywhere either.

--------------------------------------------------
I am just a worthless liar.
I am just an imbecile.
I will only complicate you.
Trust in me and fall as well.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2374