MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Boki
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/19/17
Send PM

Got a message asking me to report to mame developpers
#368873 - 08/20/17 01:58 AM Attachment: Sans titre.jpg 73 KB (0 downloads)

I got a graphical chip mobile intel 945 GM Express.

I got drivers, all detected in dxdiag and writed as working.

I got an image showing my error but I don't know how to upload in your forums.

Thank you in advance for your help. I got same error under win xp and vista, but it works under linux.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Got a message asking me to report to mame developpers new [Re: Boki]
#368876 - 08/20/17 03:23 AM

MAME isn't going to work well on an Intel GMA945. It was never a good GPU, and it doesn't support features MAME needs.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Got a message asking me to report to mame developers new [Re: Boki]
#368878 - 08/20/17 05:53 AM

>

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Send PM

Re: Got a message asking me to report to mame developpers new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#368943 - 08/23/17 01:31 AM

> MAME isn't going to work well on an Intel GMA945. It was never a good GPU, and it
> doesn't support features MAME needs.

What features? Most people either leave the games with plain stretched pixels or use HLSL for the aged, blurry, worn out CRT look, both of which worked perfectly well even before the new requirements.

Better put, older video cards simply don't support the video modes that MAME inexplicably changed which made it incompatible with just about every video chipset made prior to the Windows 8 era yet the changes and video card feature requirements were of little to no use to most devs or users anyway. If a certain driver hadn't magically started booting games in 0.180 which happened to coincide with the video changes, I would have given up on MAME entirely and stuck with 0.179 forever.

MAME, no longer filling people's hard drives with impunity, but filling junkyards with desktop PCs which can no longer run MAME properly!

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: Got a message asking me to report to mame developpers new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#368944 - 08/23/17 01:54 AM

> What features? Most people either leave the games with plain stretched pixels or use
> HLSL for the aged, blurry, worn out CRT look, both of which worked perfectly well
> even before the new requirements.

GMA950/GMA945 D3D drivers don't support non-power-of-two texture dimensions. This requires nasty workarounds because pretty much everything MAME wants to draw doesn't naturally have dimensions that are powers of two. For whatever reason to OpenGL drivers for these cards seem to support non-power-of-two texture dimensions. You can use OpenGL or GDI mode on these cards, or try a Windows SDL build in SDL2 accelerated mode.

> Better put, older video cards simply don't support the video modes that MAME
> inexplicably changed which made it incompatible with just about every video chipset
> made prior to the Windows 8 era yet the changes and video card feature requirements
> were of little to no use to most devs or users anyway. If a certain driver hadn't
> magically started booting games in 0.180 which happened to coincide with the video
> changes, I would have given up on MAME entirely and stuck with 0.179 forever.

No, MAMEdev decided that it's no longer worth preserving the code to work around lack of support for a useful feature that's been standard on every GPU for over a decade. This makes the code easier to read, understand, debug and maintain. It's easy for you to complain about it, but you aren't in the position of having to support/maintain this stuff.

> MAME, no longer filling people's hard drives with impunity, but filling junkyards
> with desktop PCs which can no longer run MAME properly!

Such is life - PCs have limited useful life before they can no longer run new software. Do you expect new games and operating systems to support old hardware forever? The GMA950/GMA945 were already crippled cards the day they were released (saying this as a former GMA950 owner).

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#368946 - 08/23/17 01:57 AM

> MAME, no longer filling people's hard drives with impunity, but filling junkyards

I think more concerning is that it's just handing users over to RetroArch, and in the end that's going to come back to haunt anybody who actually cares about preservation.

I know that response isn't going to be popular, but it's exactly what we're seeing, one of the reasons people are starting to favour RetroArch is that the interface runs anywhere, even on the crappiest of chipsets. MAME *used* to have the crown, it was thrown away, by choice.

Retroarch and the userbase that supports it have absolutely no interest in preservation (or any interest beyond playing games) so if it becomes the primary goto in the scene then everybody with deeper interests and such loses out big time as MAME is no longer in a position where anybody is going to take note of the real needs. Historically MAME has always been in a strong position to put a message across and dictate the proper way to do things because it has been the first choice emulator. Look at the state of the arcade scene outside of MAME (Type X loaders etc.) to see what a mess you get otherwise due to it having people and projects that couldn't care less about preservation leading the way (the console scene is just as bad, it's only in recent years people have started even trying to make note of proper labels, cart content etc. but that's been an uphill struggle)

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Got a message asking me to report to mame developpers new [Re: Haze]
#368947 - 08/23/17 04:48 AM

> > MAME, no longer filling people's hard drives with impunity, but filling junkyards
> > with desktop PCs which can no longer run MAME properly!
>
> I think more concerning is that it's just handing users over to RetroArch, and in the
> end that's going to come back to haunt anybody who actually cares about preservation.
>
> I know that response isn't going to be popular, but it's exactly what we're seeing,
> one of the reasons people are starting to favour RetroArch is that the interface runs
> anywhere, even on the crappiest of chipsets. MAME *used* to have the crown, it was
> thrown away, by choice.
>
> Retroarch and the userbase that supports it have absolutely no interest in
> preservation (or any interest beyond playing games) so if it becomes the primary goto
> in the scene then everybody with deeper interests and such loses out big time as MAME
> is no longer in a position where anybody is going to take note of the real needs.
> Historically MAME has always been in a strong position to put a message across and
> dictate the proper way to do things because it has been the first choice emulator.
> Look at the state of the arcade scene outside of MAME (Type X loaders etc.) to see
> what a mess you get otherwise due to it having people and projects that couldn't care
> less about preservation leading the way (the console scene is just as bad, it's only
> in recent years people have started even trying to make note of proper labels, cart
> content etc. but that's been an uphill struggle)

The people (At the RetroArch forums.) pissed me off about the MAME core. Saying it support MESS stuff. I never could get the GBA BIOS to load. A few others as well. Funny that the MAME64 for Windows doesn't have that issue at all. Totally BS. Anyway Arcade part is fine on the MAME core. Even though there is something is wrong with the right stick set up. I had to use the buttons for shooting to play Robotron 2084.

I don't know this is the person making the RetroArch MAME core or not. But I did report some issues.

https://github.com/libretro/mame/issues/42

Only using RetroArch and MAME core on the Android. I did mess with those on the Windows 10 for a test.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

anikom15
Instigator/Local CRT Guru
Reged: 04/11/16
Send PM

#368950 - 08/23/17 05:44 AM

It's an unfortunate thing but emulation attracts people with legacy and cheap hardware due to the quality of being 'free'.

That said IF someone is willing to maintain the code there shouldn't be any reason to stop supporting hardware.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#368952 - 08/23/17 07:42 AM

k

anikom15
Instigator/Local CRT Guru
Reged: 04/11/16
Send PM

Re: Got a message asking me to report to mame developpers new [Re: Dullaron]
#368977 - 08/24/17 01:20 AM

Is Libretro convinced our non-arcade drivers are bad or

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: Got a message asking me to report to mame developpers new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#368988 - 08/24/17 10:37 AM

If the Direct3D drivers for these GPUs dont support the necessary features but the OpenGL and GDI options do work, maybe the answer is to detect the lack of support on Direct3D and either A.Switch to OpenGL or GDI mode (possibly with a message saying something like "Direct3D not supported on this hardware, switching to OpenGL mode" or something) or B.Print a message and then give people the option to pick OpenGL/GDI mode.

That way its clear that MAME doesn't work in Direct3D mode on that hardware and that MAME will work just fine in the other modes (and also the user doesn't need to do anything difficult or special to switch to a mode that will work)

Dullaron
Send PM

Re: Got a message asking me to report to mame developpers new [Re: anikom15]
#368992 - 08/24/17 05:08 PM

> Is Libretro convinced our non-arcade drivers are bad or

GBA BIOS won't load on the RetroArch MAME core. Maybe MESS part is broken.

Work fine on the Windows version though.

bandicam 2017-08-24 00-06-07-518 from Dunard on Vimeo.

Anyway I updated my Samsung Chromebook Plus last night. Good news is my controllers are now working on it. Google Dev must've fix the controllers issue.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Send PM

Re: Got a message asking me to report to mame developpers new [Re: jonwil]
#369017 - 08/25/17 04:46 AM

> If the Direct3D drivers for these GPUs dont support the necessary features but the
> OpenGL and GDI options do work, maybe the answer is to detect the lack of support on
> Direct3D and either A.Switch to OpenGL or GDI mode (possibly with a message saying
> something like "Direct3D not supported on this hardware, switching to OpenGL mode" or
> something) or B.Print a message and then give people the option to pick OpenGL/GDI
> mode.

The argument is the fact that MAME worked perfectly with Direct3D all the way up until 0.180 where the D3D stuff was abruptly changed for no apparent reason (it was not for compatibility with new video cards, they worked just fine with older versions of MAME up to and including 0.179).

> That way its clear that MAME doesn't work in Direct3D mode on that hardware and that
> MAME will work just fine in the other modes (and also the user doesn't need to do
> anything difficult or special to switch to a mode that will work)

Code can coexist, it doesn't have to be deleted in its entirety so that another piece of code can be added - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. This video code was changed simply for the sake of shiny code. I could understand if MAME was somehow bought out by Nintendo or Apple or whatever and they had to port the entire codebase (minus the games they can't license) to a completely incompatible device such as the Switch or iOS etc. and it didn't matter if the PC-based stuff was deleted entirely.

The next step would most likely be removing support for 32-bit CPUs, just for the sake of doing so of course, not because it would completely break MAME if they ever had to compile it for more than one CPU type, but because shiny code.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#369018 - 08/25/17 04:52 AM

> The next step would most likely be removing support for 32-bit CPUs, just for the
> sake of doing so of course, not because it would completely break MAME if they ever
> had to compile it for more than one CPU type, but because shiny code.

This is closer to happening than you might seem to believe.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#369019 - 08/25/17 05:44 AM

What part of "maintenance burden" don't you understand? More code paths is more to maintain and test for every change we make. There's a point where the value of keeping certain code functionality is outweighed by its maintenance burden.

If we were actually paid to develop/support MAME, then we'd be able to trade the revenue from supporting this stuff against maintenance burden and make a decision based on actual profitability. But we aren't - we have one dedicated guy volunteering his time to testing, and a bunch of us trying to fit MAME development in with our lives. Something's gotta give.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#369020 - 08/25/17 07:23 AM

I myself haven't used a 32-bit CPU and 32-bit O/S since the P4 Northwood and Windows XP back in 2002. Not sure what the problem is.

Dullaron
Send PM

Got it to work now. Turn off the softwarelist from the RetroArch MAME core. new [Re: Dullaron]
#369030 - 08/25/17 11:54 AM Attachment: Screenshot 2017-08-25 at 4.41.06 AM.png 477 KB (0 downloads)

This person told me to turn it off to fix the MESS games.

Nobody else didn't even tried to explain why the games crashes. Now I know. Thanks to that person.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

#369031 - 08/25/17 01:02 PM

> > MAME isn't going to work well on an Intel GMA945. It was never a good GPU, and it
> > doesn't support features MAME needs.
>
> What features? Most people either leave the games with plain stretched pixels or use
> HLSL for the aged, blurry, worn out CRT look, both of which worked perfectly well
> even before the new requirements.
>
> Better put, older video cards simply don't support the video modes that MAME
> inexplicably changed which made it incompatible with just about every video chipset
> made prior to the Windows 8 era yet the changes and video card feature requirements
> were of little to no use to most devs or users anyway. If a certain driver hadn't
> magically started booting games in 0.180 which happened to coincide with the video
> changes, I would have given up on MAME entirely and stuck with 0.179 forever.
>

This is simply not true. Just because you cannot (visually) see a difference, it does not mean that the (new) code is useless or just "shiny".

> GMA950/GMA945 D3D drivers don't support non-power-of-two texture dimensions. This
> requires nasty workarounds because pretty much everything MAME wants to draw doesn't
> naturally have dimensions that are powers of two. For whatever reason to OpenGL
> drivers for these cards seem to support non-power-of-two texture dimensions. You can
> use OpenGL or GDI mode on these cards, or try a Windows SDL build in SDL2 accelerated
> mode.

> No, MAMEdev decided that it's no longer worth preserving the code to work around lack
> of support for a useful feature that's been standard on every GPU for over a decade.
> This makes the code easier to read, understand, debug and maintain. It's easy for you
> to complain about it, but you aren't in the position of having to support/maintain
> this stuff.

> Such is life - PCs have limited useful life before they can no longer run new
> software. Do you expect new games and operating systems to support old hardware
> forever? The GMA950/GMA945 were already crippled cards the day they were released
> (saying this as a former GMA950 owner)

Totally agree here. I remember that change by Jezze and all i can say is, that this change accelerated "modern" video cards (not older than 10years) by 20-30%, if HLSL and shadowmasks where enabled.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1776