MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

uVSthem
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/06/11
Send PM

What is a good front end for a 4k monitor?
#369059 - 08/27/17 02:27 AM

Can anyone recommend a frontend that works well with a 3840 by 2160 Windows desktop?

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

Re: What is a good front end for a 4k monitor? new [Re: uVSthem]
#369071 - 08/27/17 01:49 PM

My frontend Emu Loader have partial support for 3840x2160 resolution.
I myself have a 4K res monitor and I'm slowly adapting the frontend for this resolution. You can change font sizes and increase panel sizes on some screens.

I use 100% scale DPI in Windows desktop settings... if you use higher DPI scale, then it will not make any difference because Emu Loader doesn't support DPI scale... afaik, no frontend does that.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: ciroconsentino@gmail.com

uVSthem
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: What is a good front end for a 4k monitor? new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#369111 - 08/29/17 01:01 AM

My DPI scale is set to 225% The problem I am having is that the icons and screen shots are way too small.

anikom15
Instigator/Local CRT Guru
Reged: 04/11/16
Send PM

#369113 - 08/29/17 04:02 AM

You should override the DPI settings so that the OS scales instead of the application. When you have a program that's too small it means the program advertises as DPI-aware but it isn't actually DPI-aware.

If you're a software developer, make your application work on high-DPI displays. They are becoming ubiquitous.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

#369116 - 08/29/17 04:56 AM

Ok, way off topic here, but I gotta ask. Your 1st screenshot, showing a snapshot of Asteroids Deluxe, is that being played through MAME? And if so, how did you make it look like that?

http://emuloader.mameworld.info/screenshots/01.png

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

Re: What is a good front end for a 4k monitor? new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#369134 - 08/29/17 01:32 PM

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

Re: What is a good front end for a 4k monitor? new [Re: anikom15]
#369135 - 08/29/17 01:34 PM

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

#369137 - 08/29/17 01:40 PM

what size is you monitor ? 4K resolution only looks good if the panel is between 43 inches and 58 inches. Anything lower or higher than that, everything will look tiny and unreadable.
My 4K monitor is 28 inches and icons and texts looks tiny. I don't like using DPI scale more than 100% because Windows looks horrible with DPI scale enabled... and applications looks horrible as well, because most of them they are not DPI scale compatible.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

uVSthem
MAME Fan
Send PM

#369139 - 08/29/17 01:56 PM

60 inches. It's a 4K TV.

uVSthem
MAME Fan
Send PM

#369141 - 08/29/17 02:01 PM

I'm guessing this is why MAMEUI doesn't natively support it?

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#369149 - 08/29/17 07:41 PM

> This emu renders the game completely in OpenGL and use shaders.

> MAME renders everything via software
> only and it relies on HSLS/GLSL/BGFX to achieve those effects.

This is hilarious.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#369150 - 08/29/17 08:11 PM

> My 4K monitor is 28 inches and icons and texts looks tiny. I don't like using DPI
> scale more than 100% because Windows looks horrible with DPI scale enabled... and
> applications looks horrible as well, because most of them they are not DPI scale
> compatible.

Depends on the Windows version. I have a 28" 4K display and post-first-anniversary build Windows 10 looks perfectly fine with DPI scale enabled, at least for Windows itself and its built-in apps. Windows Store apps typically are fully DPI-scale compatible.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#369151 - 08/29/17 08:14 PM

> I'm guessing this is why MAMEUI doesn't natively support it?

MAMEUI is being "maintained" by people who don't understand Win32 well enough to have created it in the first place, never mind adding any post-Windows 95 capabilities like favorites or jump lists or DPI scaling. This is why MAMEdev has warned people for literally the last decade that they should use a real FE, to the point of including the current built-in one.

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

Re: What is a good front end for a 4k monitor? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#369153 - 08/29/17 10:56 PM

> > This emu renders the game completely in OpenGL and use shaders.
>
> > MAME renders everything via software
> > only and it relies on HSLS/GLSL/BGFX to achieve those effects.
>
> This is hilarious.

No, this is:

Quote:

For vector games, AAE is better than MAME (visually speaking).

anikom15
Send PM

#369161 - 08/30/17 03:33 AM

Really? I think you're just lazy. All universal Windows apps and WPF apps are automatically DPI-aware. You don't have to do anything. Now with media there will be some work, but it really shouldn't be that difficult with whatever your frontend is doing.

Now win32 is a different story, but everything is difficult to do with win32.

anikom15
Send PM

Re: What is a good front end for a 4k monitor? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#369162 - 08/30/17 03:39 AM

Yes. Even non-DPI-aware apps are looking better with the new scaler. There are still some troublesome apps that somehow override the DPI scaler but don't scale. My laptop is 150% and my work laptop is 200%. The text is much easier to read and is worth some inconvenience.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: What is a good front end for a 4k monitor? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#369171 - 08/30/17 12:14 PM

> > I'm guessing this is why MAMEUI doesn't natively support it?
>
> MAMEUI is being "maintained" by people who don't understand Win32 well enough to have
> created it in the first place, never mind adding any post-Windows 95 capabilities
> like favorites or jump lists or DPI scaling. This is why MAMEdev has warned people
> for literally the last decade that they should use a real FE, to the point of
> including the current built-in one.

Be serious...that inbuilt one is complete rubbish.

I can see you're going for the low-hanging fruit, by stabbing an old pensioner in the back. Since when have you offered even one word of assistance? Never.

I think I've done pretty well, since I've had zero training in Windows programming, and have no tools and have to do it all manually. The project has no documentation, just like MAME itself. I'm completely on my own here, trying to help out our user community, and all I get is backstabbers. Or I get people who have never used it saying that it's bad... like they would know.

If you're really concerned about DPI scaling and 4k monitors, buy me one.

EDIT: It does have a Favorites facility, and you can have multiple favorites folders, named to whatever you want. The user just has to set it up. Jump lists could be done, if someone asked.

Edited by Robbbert (08/30/17 04:42 PM)

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: What is a good front end for a 4k monitor? new [Re: Robbbert]
#369173 - 08/30/17 12:39 PM

> > > I'm guessing this is why MAMEUI doesn't natively support it?
> >
> > MAMEUI is being "maintained" by people who don't understand Win32 well enough to
> have
> > created it in the first place, never mind adding any post-Windows 95 capabilities
> > like favorites or jump lists or DPI scaling. This is why MAMEdev has warned people
> > for literally the last decade that they should use a real FE, to the point of
> > including the current built-in one.
>
> Be serious...that inbuilt one is complete rubbish.
>

If the inbuilt one is rubbish I'm not quite sure what that makes MAMEUI .. nuclear waste?

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

Re: What is a good front end for a 4k monitor? new [Re: uman]
#369174 - 08/30/17 01:30 PM

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

#369175 - 08/30/17 01:45 PM

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#369177 - 08/30/17 02:05 PM

> >> All universal Windows apps and WPF apps are automatically DPI-aware
>
> Huh, not true. WPF apps... yes, because they are native Win10 apps. Are you seriously
> thinking that someone would create a Win10 exclusive program ? WPF apps do not run on
> Win8 or Win7.
> EL is NOT a Win10 app and it will never be.

You can run WPF apps on Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 as well. For example the Windows 8 Minesweeper replacement is a WPF app.

> I will have to rewrite THE ENTIRE PROJECT to make it compatible with DPI scale. Damn
> right I'm lazy. I worked hard for 20 years in this frontend, using my free time on my
> free will, to reach its current form. I created Emu Loader all the way back in 1997.

Well such is life - look at the amount of effort that goes into modernising MAME. Pretty much no part of it is left untouched. I've manually changed over 100,000 lines myself this year.

> I installed Delphi XE Seattle 2017 and created a project for DPI scale. You need to
> use DPI-aware controls EVERYWHERE. You cannot use regular controls because they do
> NOT scale. That's the big problem. My frontend uses some controls that ARE NOT
> compatible with DPI scale and there is no way to update them or to use another
> controls. I cannot replace them with Delphi's native controls.

So write your own DPI-aware controls for the things Delphi doesn't cover. That's part of developing a GUI application. Software development isn't just dragging and dropping someone else's components around. Or if Delphi isn't meeting your needs, ditch the boat anchor - choose another tool. Development environments come and go, software development stays.

> Creating a 64-bits frontend is not an option right now. Besides, a 32-bits app should
> be able to scale just fine.

64-bit makes no difference, no-one's saying you can't make a 32-bit DPI-aware application. It's fairly obvious anyway, given there are 32-bit Windows versions with DPI-aware applications.

> I simply HATE Windows 10 because it's a butt-ugly OS. Its interface is a freaking
> J.O.K.E.
> Win10 DPI scale of its newest build looks great but still...

Total non sequitur. Besides, desktop applications still look pretty much the same on Windows 10 as they did on Windows 7 with the aero look. No-one's saying you have to make your application use the flat look without button borders like the Settings app.

anikom15
Send PM

#369183 - 08/30/17 05:11 PM

WPF is .NET 3.5. It's been around long before windows 10 and is the framework of choice for Windows apps that need to be compatible with earlier versions of Windows.

Universal Windows is the new 10 only framework, and I'm skeptical about its longevity.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

#369189 - 08/30/17 06:50 PM

OK then. I stand corrected.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: What is a good front end for a 4k monitor? new [Re: Robbbert]
#369193 - 08/30/17 08:31 PM

> Be serious...that inbuilt one is complete rubbish.
>
> I can see you're going for the low-hanging fruit, by stabbing an old pensioner in the
> back. Since when have you offered even one word of assistance? Never.
>
> I think I've done pretty well, since I've had zero training in Windows programming,
> and have no tools and have to do it all manually. The project has no documentation,
> just like MAME itself. I'm completely on my own here, trying to help out our user
> community, and all I get is backstabbers. Or I get people who have never used it
> saying that it's bad... like they would know.
>
> If you're really concerned about DPI scaling and 4k monitors, buy me one.
>
>
> EDIT: It does have a Favorites facility, and you can have multiple favorites folders,
> named to whatever you want. The user just has to set it up. Jump lists could be done,
> if someone asked.

Seriously, what's with front-end authors playing the martyr? it's like if they are asking for pity. "I don't have proper training, I am busy and I have a though life. You're not allowed to criticize my work I spend on my very little free time I'm not pursuing money to eat today ... but use my project, I recommend it. I only have enough free time to accept good feedback".

BREAKING NEWS!!! Everyone has a though life and everyone spends their free time on these projects. It's not our fault you chose a deprecated / unpopular language (Delphi) to program and never learn anything else. Neither is if you self consider you live in a shitty country you can't earn money. Even less is not our fault you chose poorly a career you don't have the abilities or field experience necessary to earn money or improve your project. We don't care about your personal life as excuses to do a bad job. Your bad work, your fault. An excuse to earn pity won't make it any better. One thing is "I'm busy at the moment I can't fix it for now" and it's totally different to "I can't change it because I'm poor. I'd fix it but I'll have to rewrite it all and that's time I can't earn money ". The victim role doesn't fit you when you do exactly the same given the chance.

Do you have any idea how many people apart from yourself has to deal with money and health problems? It looks like you don't. It also looks like you believe MAME developers get paid over their free time fixing bugs, improving emulation or adding new dumps. Offering something to the public, free or not, involves getting positive and negative critics because as the word says it's now PUBLIC. You don't want to be "attacked by backstabbers when my life is so miserable ", don't make it public. Simple as that.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1850