View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

BGFX - crt-geom-deluxe shader question
#369368 - 09/03/17 03:25 PM

After trying several shader options with my games, I decided that the best one for my 1920x1080 TV screen is BGFX with crt-geom-deluxe shader with some slightly modified settings. The settings I'm currently using are crt-geom-deluxe with delta-1-4x1-rgb.png, gamma screen output at 2.40 and shadow mask at 0.50. All other settings remain unchanged.

However, since the TV has a larger area than a laptop monitor, the resulting scanlines are quite large and they are way too dark, which darkens the game screen and makes the game to look not quite pleasant. It hurts my eyes when I'm playing at night for example.

Is there any way to reduce the amount of darkness that are applied to the scanlines, so it would not look so dark on screen?

anikom15
Instigator/Local CRT Guru
Reged: 04/11/16
Send PM

Re: BGFX - crt-geom-deluxe shader question new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#369373 - 09/03/17 06:04 PM

You can try increasing your backlight.

Use a test pattern like those found in mk2 to see how the shader is affecting the output.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

Re: BGFX - crt-geom-deluxe shader question new [Re: anikom15]
#369421 - 09/04/17 01:46 PM

> You can try increasing your backlight.
>
> Use a test pattern like those found in mk2 to see how the shader is affecting the
> output.

This artifact actually does not help on my TV, the more I increase the backlight, the more the colors become faded and it does not reduce the darkness in the scanlines significantly. In fact, it makes the screen even harder to look at at night. But I've noticed that the scanlines are thicker in games with lower resolution monitors (240p). In games such as MK/MKII/MK3 (which originally uses a medium resolution monitor I guess) the scanlines are thinner and the final result is better, much less noticeable. In games that used standard resolution monitors such as Pit-Fighter, Jail Break, Pole Position, etc. the scanlines are thicker.

anikom15
Send PM

#369438 - 09/05/17 05:28 AM

HLSL has a scanline alpha option. Not sure about crt-geom-deluxe.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

#369449 - 09/05/17 01:49 PM

> HLSL has a scanline alpha option. Not sure about crt-geom-deluxe.

Unfortunately, it does not have this option. Do you know who developed this shader? It would be great to have both scanline alpha and defocus options in this one as well.

I've stopped using HLSL because it generates undesired 'phantom' shadows in some games when characters are moving, which were directly related to the amount of shadow mask applied. And I'm using a 5 meter HDMI cable to connect my desktop to the TV and I guess this could be the source of this problem as well, but I cannot get rid of this cable. So I decided to find another option and crt-geom-deluxe is the best one for me.

I've tweaked some settings and now I think I've achieved a better result, it looks great so far. Thanks for your help on this

anikom15
Send PM

#369450 - 09/05/17 05:27 PM

Are those 'phantom shadows' due to phosphor_life? Otherwise it is something stupid your television does.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

#369474 - 09/06/17 02:06 PM

> Are those 'phantom shadows' due to phosphor_life? Otherwise it is something stupid
> your television does.

No, it is not. But I don't think it is my TV because it does not happen with other shaders, only when I use HLSL with higher shadow mask values applied. Reducing the amount of shadow mask would reduce the phantom shadows but the screen started to look 'fake' and not like a real arcade monitor.

Also, the shadows only occur with specific colors in the background (like light blue or light green). Some examples are the light green seen in the metro stages in Pit-Fighter, or the light blue seen in the Karate Champ intro where the white fighters are jumping away from the bull above the high scores table, things like that.

And when I changed the shader, these shadows are gone. I talked about it with Jezze some time ago, but we couldn't figure out a solution and he said it could be my HDMI cable, since it is way too long. IDK.

anikom15
Send PM

#369482 - 09/06/17 06:35 PM

5 meters is the maximum cable length for HDMI. It's not too long.

Why don't you take a screenshot with Alt+F12? Then we can know for certain if it is due to software.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

#369514 - 09/07/17 04:04 PM

> Why don't you take a screenshot with Alt+F12? Then we can know for certain if it is
> due to software.

I can't. Every time I pause the game the phantom shadows disappear. I guess it confirms that is nothing software related, right?

If so, which settings could be affecting my games the most on my TV? The amount of Brightness? Contrast? Backlight? Sharpness?

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#369516 - 09/07/17 04:56 PM

It sounds like some kind of interference pattern with one of the filters on your TV.

Can you put your TV in "Game Mode" (which usually disables filters) to see if it makes any difference?

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

anikom15
Send PM

#369519 - 09/07/17 05:17 PM

You don't need to pause the game to take a screenshot.

What's the TV model?

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

#369522 - 09/07/17 06:49 PM

It is a SAMSUNG LN32A550P3R 32" with a maximum res of 1920x1080@60hz. It is an old TV model indeed :P

anikom15
Send PM

#369544 - 09/08/17 11:31 PM

Are you located in Latin America?

Set black adjust to off.
Set dynamic contrast to off.
Set color space to native or custom.
Set flesh tone to 0.
Set edge enhancement to off.
Set xvYCC to off.
Set digital noise reduction to off.
Set DNIe to off.
Set Movie Plus to off.

Let me know if that has any effect.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

#369547 - 09/09/17 12:22 AM

> Are you located in Latin America?
>
> Set black adjust to off.
> Set dynamic contrast to off.
> Set color space to native or custom.
> Set flesh tone to 0.
> Set edge enhancement to off.
> Set xvYCC to off.
> Set digital noise reduction to off.
> Set DNIe to off.
> Set Movie Plus to off.
>
> Let me know if that has any effect.

Believe it or not, I already have all these exact settings on my TV

But now I think I've managed to make a fine tuning on it by reducing the amount of contrast from 88 to 65 and brightess from 55 to 65. Also, I've increased the backlight to 10 (maximum) since reducing the contrast also darkened the image too much. With these settings applied, the phantom ghosting is gone

Thank you all for your support on this! Problem solved.

anikom15
Send PM

#369548 - 09/09/17 03:28 AM

Hmm that is funny.

You probably can't catch it with a photograph. I'm curious to see what it looks like.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

#369552 - 09/09/17 02:44 PM

It looks like the Johnny Cage shadow kick, only with much less intensity, black and barely noticeable.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1967