gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: More Gaelco preservation news @ Haze's *edit* new [Re: Smitdogg]
#369477 - 09/06/17 04:23 PM

Hooray.

As Haze mentioned elsewhere this leaves Touch & Go (supposedly to be worked on next week) and any other alternate versions of Gaelco games that use similar hardware protection setup.

I might have missed discussion elsewhere, but does Gaelco World Rally need to be worked on as well just like the others? Or not necessary because of what Gaelco provided years earlier regarding World Rally?

src/mame/drivers/wrally.cpp

Gaelco World Rally

I want to also remind that an original Counter Run pcb still needs to be found if possible since it is another of the volatile/battery type games that needs to be saved/preserved in case there is still a working pcb of the game still around in this day and age.

-
src/mame/drivers/freekick.cpp

GAME( 1988, countrun, 0, freekick, countrun, freekick_state, 0, ROT0, "Nihon System (Sega license)", "Counter Run (NS6201-A 1988.3)", MACHINE_NOT_WORKING | MACHINE_SUPPORTS_SAVE ) // CPU module not dumped
-

Edited by gregf (02/22/19 04:02 PM)

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

Re: More Gaelco preservation news @ Haze's new [Re: gregf]
#369489 - 09/06/17 09:11 PM

Quote:

As Haze mentioned elsewhere this leaves Touch & Go (supposedly to be worked on next week) and the gambling item Play 2000 as remaining items needing to get same treatment....

Target Hits also.

Quote:

I want to also remind that an original Counter Run pcb still needs to be found if possible since it is another of the volatile/battery
type games that needs to be saved/preserved in case there is still a working pcb of the game still around in this day and age.

One is already in the hands of the MAME preservation team hopefully it can be dumped sometime.

Arcade Addict

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: More Gaelco preservation news @ Haze's new [Re: gregf]
#369490 - 09/06/17 10:18 PM

On the subject of suicide batteries

I think that the original 'Bounty' by Orca might use one.

Shoutime said that he could see a battery, and if you compare the set 2 in MAME with the one that works it seems the main difference is that the startup code in set 2 seems to be hardcoded to draw an Orca logo and nothing else.

I suspect that the module on the PCB overlays the first part of the program rom, I also suspect that the parent set in MAME is a bootleg.

Since the game is from 1982 I'm not really sure we'll see a dump of whatever that battery was keeping alive if my theory is correct ;-)

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: More Gaelco preservation new [Re: gamez fan]
#369491 - 09/07/17 12:05 AM

>>I want to also remind that an original Counter Run pcb still needs to be found if possible
>>since it is another of the volatile/battery type games that needs to be saved/preserved in
>>case there is still a working pcb of the game still around in this day and age.

>One is already in the hands of the MAME preservation team hopefully it can be dumped sometime.

Good to know, but hopefully it can be done in time. I'd be wary with any pcb having that knowing it could go sour at any time.

Edited by gregf (02/20/18 10:46 PM)

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: More Gaelco preservation news @ Haze's new [Re: Haze]
#369492 - 09/07/17 12:11 AM

>On the subject of suicide batteries I think that the original 'Bounty' by Orca might use
>one.

>Shoutime said that he could see a battery, and if you compare the set 2 in MAME with the
>one that works it seems the main difference is that the startup code in set 2 seems to be
>hardcoded to draw an Orca logo and nothing else.

>I suspect that the module on the PCB overlays the first part of the program rom, I also
>suspect that the parent set in MAME is a bootleg.

>Since the game is from 1982 I'm not really sure we'll see a dump of whatever that battery
>was keeping alive if my theory is correct ;-)

Another one....nuts. These are the ones that should be on upper tier of priority of rescuing if possible in case anyone has such pcb.

Edited by gregf (02/20/18 10:44 PM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1427