Pages: 1

Stevaside
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/01/13
Send PM

Ms. Pacman rom issue
#369608 - 09/11/17 10:03 PM

Using all .185

The Ms. Pacman rom I have which AFAIK should be the standard version(mspacman.zip), MAME/Launchbox keeps insisting it's "the speedup hack"

Also now, a bootleg machine a store by me has inside that I've been enjoying called Super Zola Puc Gal (aka Ms Pacman Champion Edition?) , I can't get MAME to run it (mschamp.zip), because it needs the original Ms. Pacman file, which apparently doesn't exist anymore because it was changed to a "speedup" hacked version??

I just don't get it..If anyone does, your help would be appreciated

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: Ms. Pacman rom issue new [Re: Stevaside]
#369614 - 09/12/17 01:02 AM

The mspacman rom is not a speedhack version. That would be mspacmnf. The mspacman rom hasn't changed since version 0.185

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

Stevaside
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Ms. Pacman rom issue new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#369626 - 09/12/17 07:29 AM

Well that's what it shows up as..no matter how many times I remove & then re-import the "mspacman" rom it says it's the speedup hack

And it won't let me use it as a parent for bootlegs either for the same reason, it's not recognizing "mspacman.zip" as the official Ms. Pacman game

anikom15
Instigator/Local CRT Guru
Reged: 04/11/16
Send PM

#369628 - 09/12/17 07:55 AM

Sounds like you're using a frontend. Does it work with vanilla MAME?

Stevaside
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Ms. Pacman rom issue new [Re: anikom15]
#369630 - 09/12/17 08:25 AM

Yes, using Launchbox

But although the bootleg does play in regular MAME (Super Zola Puc Gal/Ms Pacman Champion Edition), when I scroll down my games list in it, there is no standard Ms. Pacman, still just showing "Speedup hack"

abelenki
Super Drunk
Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Perm, Russia
Send PM

#369631 - 09/12/17 08:34 AM

> But although the bootleg does play in regular MAME (Super Zola Puc Gal/Ms Pacman
> Champion Edition), when I scroll down my games list in it, there is no standard Ms.
> Pacman, still just showing "Speedup hack"

you need to get up-to-date ROM set.

MAME Stuff | MAME favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration

Stevaside
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Ms. Pacman rom issue new [Re: abelenki]
#369632 - 09/12/17 09:02 AM

Why?

That is the single rom out of hundreds I have a problem with. All my .185 roms work with MAME .185, but this one insists it's something it's supposedly not..I fail to see this need to update everything when a new version comes out (which seems to be every freakin month) if they play fine... unless it's some new game (s) added which right now nothing I'm aware of I'm interested in

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#369633 - 09/12/17 09:43 AM

> Why?
>
> That is the single rom out of hundreds I have a problem with. All my .185 roms work
> with MAME .185, but this one insists it's something it's supposedly not..I fail to
> see this need to update everything when a new version comes out (which seems to be
> every freakin month) if they play fine... unless it's some new game (s) added which
> right now nothing I'm aware of I'm interested in

This is not attack toward you. Just try update those ROM's. You probably feel better if you do so. You can always grab a MAME torrent. Make sure you got a utorrent installed or what ever first. Then look for MAME [version of the MAME] torrent. We are not giving you the links. Google for those.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Roman
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

#369635 - 09/12/17 10:05 AM

No, it's a single SET which consists of various roms.
yes, MAME is updated montly and yes, romsets do change from month to month, not all, but some. Reasons can be multiple: bad dumps get replaced, new dumps (of other ICs on the board) get available which may not directly influence game play but are needed for consistency), romnames change to match actual IC on the board, sets are reordered, device roms are separated etc etc...

so all you need to do is audit your set in question.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#369636 - 09/12/17 01:13 PM

> Why?
>
> That is the single rom out of hundreds I have a problem with. All my .185 roms work
> with MAME .185, but this one insists it's something it's supposedly not..I fail to
> see this need to update everything when a new version comes out (which seems to be
> every freakin month) if they play fine... unless it's some new game (s) added which
> right now nothing I'm aware of I'm interested in

well the MAME -verifyroms command allows you to manually check the romsets. For mspacman these haven't changed in a while. Either you really only have the roms for the speedup version, or your frontend is being dumb. The results of the commands below will tell you.

mame64 mspacman -verifyroms

romset mspacman is good
1 romsets found, 1 were OK.

mame64 mspacmnf -verifyroms

romset mspacmnf [mspacman] is good

mame64 mschamps -verifyroms

romset mschamps [mspacman] is good

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1606