MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU: New Cross Pang & Lup Lup Puzzle
#375527 - 04/09/18 05:21 AM

f205v dumped New Cross Pang. Brian Troha and caius got Lup Lup Puzzle v1.05 but one of the roms won't read out correctly.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: DU: New Cross Pang & Lup Lup Puzzle new [Re: Smitdogg]
#375529 - 04/09/18 02:18 PM

> f205v dumped New Cross Pang. Brian Troha and caius got Lup Lup Puzzle v1.05 but one
> of the roms won't read out correctly.
>

New Cross Pang is frustrating.

In many senses it's a really nice polished game, adding a lot compared to the original. However, at least in MAME it frequently misses button presses, or keys stick causing actions to be repeated twice.

For a puzzle game, you're always trying to buffer up moves in advance and make quick keypresses, so the second the game misses an input that becomes impossible and it becomes painful to play.

Brian said he can't notice any input issues in MAME, but when I try to play it the issues are really obvious, so I have no idea at all if such issues are present on the PCB (as if one person can be completely unable to detect them, I guess it could have got through testing) or if it's a bug in MAME (maybe interrupts on the hyperstone are being missed?)

Glad to see it dumped (and IIRC system11 has one, so there could be other revisions for all I know) but definitely one where some work is going to need to be done in studying the input code the game uses to see if the problems are game related or MAME related.

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Send PM

Re: DU: New Cross Pang & Lup Lup Puzzle new [Re: Haze]
#375543 - 04/10/18 12:47 AM

> > f205v dumped New Cross Pang. Brian Troha and caius got Lup Lup Puzzle v1.05 but one
> > of the roms won't read out correctly.
> >
>
> New Cross Pang is frustrating.
>
> In many senses it's a really nice polished game, adding a lot compared to the
> original. However, at least in MAME it frequently misses button presses, or keys
> stick causing actions to be repeated twice.
>
> For a puzzle game, you're always trying to buffer up moves in advance and make quick
> keypresses, so the second the game misses an input that becomes impossible and it
> becomes painful to play.
>
> Brian said he can't notice any input issues in MAME, but when I try to play it the
> issues are really obvious, so I have no idea at all if such issues are present on the
> PCB (as if one person can be completely unable to detect them, I guess it could have
> got through testing) or if it's a bug in MAME (maybe interrupts on the hyperstone are
> being missed?)
>
> Glad to see it dumped (and IIRC system11 has one, so there could be other revisions
> for all I know) but definitely one where some work is going to need to be done in
> studying the input code the game uses to see if the problems are game related or MAME
> related.

Hopefully this provides the player some actual challenge beyond this input issue. IMO the original Cross Pang was far too easy, especially for an arcade game. On my first try, I played for over an hour and reached about level 40 on one credit before quitting out of boredom (the game starts off easy and doesn't appear to have any difficulty curve to speak of), something I've rarely done with arcade games. In that regard at least, it has a bit of a prototype feel even if the game seems quite polished and fun otherwise.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: DU: New Cross Pang & Lup Lup Puzzle new [Re: Shoegazr]
#375549 - 04/10/18 02:07 AM

> > > f205v dumped New Cross Pang. Brian Troha and caius got Lup Lup Puzzle v1.05 but
> one
> > > of the roms won't read out correctly.
> > >
> >
> > New Cross Pang is frustrating.
> >
> > In many senses it's a really nice polished game, adding a lot compared to the
> > original. However, at least in MAME it frequently misses button presses, or keys
> > stick causing actions to be repeated twice.
> >
> > For a puzzle game, you're always trying to buffer up moves in advance and make
> quick
> > keypresses, so the second the game misses an input that becomes impossible and it
> > becomes painful to play.
> >
> > Brian said he can't notice any input issues in MAME, but when I try to play it the
> > issues are really obvious, so I have no idea at all if such issues are present on
> the
> > PCB (as if one person can be completely unable to detect them, I guess it could
> have
> > got through testing) or if it's a bug in MAME (maybe interrupts on the hyperstone
> are
> > being missed?)
> >
> > Glad to see it dumped (and IIRC system11 has one, so there could be other revisions
> > for all I know) but definitely one where some work is going to need to be done in
> > studying the input code the game uses to see if the problems are game related or
> MAME
> > related.
>
> Hopefully this provides the player some actual challenge beyond this input issue. IMO
> the original Cross Pang was far too easy, especially for an arcade game. On my first
> try, I played for over an hour and reached about level 40 on one credit before
> quitting out of boredom (the game starts off easy and doesn't appear to have any
> difficulty curve to speak of), something I've rarely done with arcade games. In that
> regard at least, it has a bit of a prototype feel even if the game seems quite
> polished and fun otherwise.

The difficult on the original Cross Pang very much depends on the 'Number of Balls Per Row' dipswitch. Maybe the default of 3 means it never presents a challenge.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 559