MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

So Sandy Bridge CPU's......Looks like more Awesomeness for MAME....
#242517 - 01/03/11 01:19 PM

Reviews are up today for Intels latest, and most sites are showing 4.5Ghz to 5Ghz speeds possible with decent air cooling....

Given that clock for clock, Sandybridge CPU's are between 10-20% faster per cycle, thats the equivalent speed of Mames previous king CPU the E8400 Dual Core running at 5.6Ghz!!!!..plus add in the extra 2 cores that could be equal to about 6GHZ!!!!

Will Dolphin Blue be playable?...lol, probably not..

Anyone planning to buy a Sandybridge CPU for MAME here?....

First one to post some benchmarks, wins a cookie...

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

Re: So Sandy Bridge CPU's......Looks like more Awesomeness for MAME.... new [Re: Ziggy100]
#242526 - 01/03/11 05:54 PM

[QUOTE] Reviews are up today for Intels latest, and most sites are showing 4.5Ghz to 5Ghz
> speeds possible with decent air cooling....
[/QUOTE]

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

WHOAH!!!!!!!!!! Are you serious? If 5.0Ghz *STABLE* is possible with these processors I'm definitely going to buy one down the road!!!!

[QUOTE]Anyone planning to buy a Sandybridge CPU for MAME here?....[/QUOTE]

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If what you say is true, then HELL YES!!!!!! Can you say, Daytona 2 @ 500fps???!!!

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: So Sandy Bridge CPU's......Looks like more Awesomeness for MAME.... new [Re: Outrun2006]
#242541 - 01/03/11 11:55 PM

> Reviews are up today for Intels latest, and most sites are showing 4.5Ghz to 5Ghz
> > speeds possible with decent air cooling....
>
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>
> WHOAH!!!!!!!!!! Are you serious? If 5.0Ghz *STABLE* is possible with these processors
> I'm definitely going to buy one down the road!!!!
>
>
> Anyone planning to buy a Sandybridge CPU for MAME here?....
>
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>
> If what you say is true, then HELL YES!!!!!! Can you say, Daytona 2 @ 500fps???!!!

Sandy has her drawbacks...

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9...?taxonomyId=142

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Lotta work for what I see as little return..... (nt) new [Re: Outrun2006]
#242543 - 01/04/11 12:04 AM

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: So Sandy Bridge CPU's......Looks like more Awesomeness for MAME.... new [Re: italie]
#242555 - 01/04/11 01:22 AM

> Sandy has her drawbacks...
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9...?taxonomyId=142

Yeah, and I remember when TPM on the Pentium 4 was going to make Linux and emulation and warez impossible. We'll see.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: So Sandy Bridge CPU's......Looks like more Awesomeness for MAME.... new [Re: italie]
#242556 - 01/04/11 01:24 AM

I'd sooner stay with CD2 indefinitely than deal with copware inside my CPU.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: So Sandy Bridge CPU's......Looks like more Awesomeness for MAME.... new [Re: R. Belmont]
#242574 - 01/04/11 03:21 AM

> > Sandy has her drawbacks...
> >
> >
>
> Yeah, and I remember when TPM on the Pentium 4 was going to make Linux and emulation
> and warez impossible. We'll see.

As long as Intel isn't running whatever protection Raiden 2 has, we should be ok.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#242609 - 01/04/11 08:29 AM

> Sandy has her drawbacks...
>

I LOL'd at the "Core-on" comment ....

Moose

Quantum Leaper
OCRer and Monkey Typist for Galaxy Game
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Orion spiral arm of the Milky Way
Send PM

Re: So Sandy Bridge CPU's......Looks like more Awesomeness for MAME.... new [Re: R. Belmont]
#242614 - 01/04/11 09:45 AM

> >
> >
>
> Yeah, and I remember when TPM on the Pentium 4 was going to make Linux and emulation

I remember the same thing, DRM never effects pirates anyway, so you can only stream video on New CPUs if it has Sandy Bridge, talk about limiting ones consumer base. Just means the pirates will keep coping Bluray or DVDs instead of streaming content.

Sony is finding out if you 'wave' a red flag in front of the hackers, you lose. PS3 keys have been released, now how long before self booting discs for the PS3? How long did BluRay or DVDs last before they could copy them? DRM never works in the end, it just there to give the Pirates something to do and the Media companies feel good.

Edited by Quantum Leaper (01/04/11 09:46 AM)

Malice
Lurker
Reged: 11/10/03
Send PM

#242615 - 01/04/11 09:56 AM

> >
> >
>

TPM didn't become an issue because it was an optional component.

bdam
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/13/07
Send PM

Re: So Sandy Bridge CPU's......Looks like more Awesomeness for MAME.... new [Re: Ziggy100]
#242625 - 01/04/11 03:11 PM

I plan on getting one in the next month or so.

For the purposes of MAME, is there any reason to pony up the extra $100 for the additional L3 cache and hyper-threading of the i7?

Also, any thoughts on the the built-in graphics capabilities?

keshbach1
Reged: 08/26/05
Send PM

Re: So Sandy Bridge CPU's......Looks like more Awesomeness for MAME.... new [Re: Master O]
#242660 - 01/04/11 08:50 PM

> As long as Intel isn't running whatever protection Raiden 2 has, we should be ok.

No, with enough time and money and anything can be done.

Kevin Eshbach

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: So Sandy Bridge CPU's......Looks like more Awesomeness for MAME.... new [Re: Quantum Leaper]
#242669 - 01/04/11 10:39 PM

> Sony is finding out if you 'wave' a red flag in front of the hackers, you lose. PS3
> keys have been released, now how long before self booting discs for the PS3? How long
> did BluRay or DVDs last before they could copy them? DRM never works in the end, it
> just there to give the Pirates something to do and the Media companies feel good.

I'll be sure to tell the next round of layoffs at work that it's actually a feel good story of Standing Up To The Man :P

-RB, disillusioned former PSP coder

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

#242692 - 01/05/11 02:15 AM

> > Sony is finding out if you 'wave' a red flag in front of the hackers, you lose. PS3
> > keys have been released, now how long before self booting discs for the PS3? How
> long
> > did BluRay or DVDs last before they could copy them? DRM never works in the end, it
> > just there to give the Pirates something to do and the Media companies feel good.
>
> I'll be sure to tell the next round of layoffs at work that it's actually a feel good
> story of Standing Up To The Man :P
>
> -RB, disillusioned former PSP coder

I have a hard time seeing any correlation between ease of piracy and the failure of a platform. I mean, the PS1 and PS2 were cracked wide open for essentially their entire lifespans, and the GBA had working emulators before the damn thing even launched.

The two data points that the "piracy/homebrew kills platforms" people always point to both have alternative hypotheses staring you in the face:

PSP: was a handheld not made by Nintendo. 'Nuff said. PSP, meet the Wonderswan, Neo Geo Pocket, N-Gage, Game.com, Game Gear and Lynx in the graveyard of everyone who's ever tried to stand up to the Game Boy juggernaut.

Dreamcast: was a Sega console. If that isn't enough, it came right off the heels of the utter fiasco that was the Saturn (everywhere outside the borders of Japan).

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Send PM

Re: So Sandy Bridge CPU's......Looks like more Awesomeness for MAME.... new [Re: bdam]
#242693 - 01/05/11 02:56 AM

> I plan on getting one in the next month or so.
>
> For the purposes of MAME, is there any reason to pony up the extra $100 for the
> additional L3 cache and hyper-threading of the i7?
>
> Also, any thoughts on the the built-in graphics capabilities?

I had access to an i7-820QM CPU (mobile quad-core @ 1.73ghz base clock, with turbo boost @ 3.02ghz) soon after the line was first released. From my experience with MAME, hyper-threading added nothing and in fact may have been one of the reasons most "challenging" MAME games actually ran slower than on my older 2.66ghz c2d (and there was no way to turn it off in the BIOS or otherwise). Note that this was in the face of all the marketing hype about the i7, with benchmarks demonstrating the proc's vastly superior speed over the c2d in just about every real-world case *other* than emulation.

For a variety of reasons, Sandy Bridge may deliver far different results under emulation tests than what you've been reading would have you believe. Also, any more cores beyond two might actually have a detrimental effect on emulation speed; so perhaps a dual-core i5 would be better in these cases.

Needless to say, until I see test results I will remain highly skeptical of Sandy Bridge and MAME, or any other emulator for that matter. That's not to say the platform isn't great for other non-emulation reasons, though!

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: So Sandy Bridge CPU's......Looks like more Awesomeness for MAME.... new [Re: AWJ]
#242708 - 01/05/11 05:34 AM

You're looking in the wrong place on this.

There's one correlating factor for both platforms that doesn't show up on the others so much-- ease of piracy.

Both PS1 (and PS2 initially) required semi-expensive and difficult hardware modification that not everyone could do easily. The soldering, especially on PS2, would be very delicate work.

On the other hand, Dreamcast piracy was so easy a 12-year-old could do it without assistance. Download ISO, burn in appropriate tool. Same goes with PSP-- download custom firmware, install it by the instructions, download and install ISO to memstick.

With piracy that easy, most people said, "Why buy something I can get for free?" and stopped buying games on that platform. Nintendo's having some major issues with that on the DS side now as well. It's also very true on PC-- the easier it is to pirate, the more likely people will take the easy and cheap way out.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: So Sandy Bridge CPU's......Looks like more Awesomeness for MAME.... new [Re: AWJ]
#242713 - 01/05/11 05:53 AM

> I have a hard time seeing any correlation between ease of piracy and the failure of a
> platform. I mean, the PS1 and PS2 were cracked wide open for essentially their entire
> lifespans, and the GBA had working emulators before the damn thing even launched.

It's very simple. If your mom can pirate for a system, it's over. PSP's that easy. DC's that easy. GBA and DS were that easy (why do you think everyone stopped making non-kiddie games for them?). Wii's that easy. As a result, third-party triple-A software dried up pretty quickly on all of those systems. The really good GBA and DS games were all within the first 18 months of the system, after which it was all "Dora the Explorer Lezzes Out With Bratz". Wii's a blur of Mario Party ripoffs, fitness games, and the occasional Nintendo franchise cash-in now.

PS1/2 required soldering. 360 requires either soldering or taking it apart and using your PC to flash the drive. Unless your mom is really awesome, she's not doing any of that. It of course remains to be seen how easy PS3's gonna be.

(And for the record, I don't blame Marcan and Segher on this - they don't personally enable piracy and went to some length to try and slow it down on the Wii, but lots of people are standing by to corrupt their work in that way).

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#242722 - 01/05/11 08:40 AM

> > I have a hard time seeing any correlation between ease of piracy and the failure of
> a
> > platform. I mean, the PS1 and PS2 were cracked wide open for essentially their
> entire
> > lifespans, and the GBA had working emulators before the damn thing even launched.
>
> It's very simple. If your mom can pirate for a system, it's over. PSP's that easy.
> DC's that easy. GBA and DS were that easy (why do you think everyone stopped making
> non-kiddie games for them?). Wii's that easy. As a result, third-party triple-A
> software dried up pretty quickly on all of those systems. The really good GBA and DS
> games were all within the first 18 months of the system, after which it was all "Dora
> the Explorer Lezzes Out With Bratz". Wii's a blur of Mario Party ripoffs, fitness
> games, and the occasional Nintendo franchise cash-in now.
>
> PS1/2 required soldering. 360 requires either soldering or taking it apart and using
> your PC to flash the drive. Unless your mom is really awesome, she's not doing any of
> that. It of course remains to be seen how easy PS3's gonna be.
>
> (And for the record, I don't blame Marcan and Segher on this - they don't personally
> enable piracy and went to some length to try and slow it down on the Wii, but lots of
> people are standing by to corrupt their work in that way).

I don't necessarily agree with that. Maybe on those particular systems, with those particular distribution methods....but I just can't equate easy piracy = death to a system in general. People like to be able to tweak, and control their data. Even if they don't have a clue as to the what or why, make them feel like they are in control and they won't abandon.

Take Steam for example. Someone could very easily download every game they offer. and install every game they offer on every computer they own, and fudge with the multilplayer workarounds, cracks, etc... or they can buy content and have it at their fingertips wherever and whenever they want, with extra goodies. Their experience is easier than piracy. Funny that piracy is such a non issue that they basically admit to ignoring it.

Wii nearly had me at it's release with the news of an online catalog, but after seeing how weak it was I brushed off buying a system. I know I could hack and emulate, but frankly I don't have the time and/or will anymore. I don't want to go through the hassle. Let me aim the wiimote thingy at original titles and hit 'Buy'. First time I browsed I saw less than a handful of titles, said WTF, and never looked back. Maybe that virtual catalog has improved over the years, and I'm not aware. If that is the case, it brings up a marketing flaws as well. Again, if their experience was better or more convenient that piracy options, I'd probably own a Wii right now.

I've owned MAME cabinets. MAME allows me to play all my favorite arcade games. I can have all the pirated arcade joy I can handle, and more. Could one of these "Piracy is death" advocates explain to my wife why I have a sickening amount of space sucking arcade machines in my possession? Like steam,with an actual cabinet I'm getting something "more". I'm willing to part with my money for whatever "more" is. Give people a better experience than they'd get through piracy and they WILL pay. If they still aren't paying at that point they never would have in the first place, bottom line.

I didn't buy a PSP or GBA, but frankly I haven't used them on an emulator either so I really must not care about either system. Dreamcast was a joke. No interesting titles to me, it was expensive, and the controls were ugly and cumbersome. DS looked and felt like a kids toy.

I did own both a PS1 AND PS2. I modded the hell out of both. I also bought a shittonne of titles. Everything pirated on either system was a title I never would have bought otherwise.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: So Sandy Bridge CPU's......Looks like more Awesomeness for MAME.... new [Re: Firehawke]
#242723 - 01/05/11 09:04 AM

> You're looking in the wrong place on this.
>
> There's one correlating factor for both platforms that doesn't show up on the others
> so much-- ease of piracy.
>
> Both PS1 (and PS2 initially) required semi-expensive and difficult hardware
> modification that not everyone could do easily. The soldering, especially on PS2,
> would be very delicate work.
>
> On the other hand, Dreamcast piracy was so easy a 12-year-old could do it without
> assistance. Download ISO, burn in appropriate tool. Same goes with PSP-- download
> custom firmware, install it by the instructions, download and install ISO to
> memstick.
>
> With piracy that easy, most people said, "Why buy something I can get for free?" and
> stopped buying games on that platform. Nintendo's having some major issues with that
> on the DS side now as well. It's also very true on PC-- the easier it is to pirate,
> the more likely people will take the easy and cheap way out.

As I was poorly eluding to in my last post... 2 points:

1 - Make your paid experience easier and more convenient that a pirated one. If piracy looks, or is even perceived as being a bigger pain in the ass people won't do it. Those that can pay, will. Those that can't pay, well, wouldn't have anyway. Steam models this nicely.

2 - Give people something more. Wii example. If the virtual catalog was more expansive I would have bought one years ago. I knew at the time I could load older games into it myself but didn't want the hassle, so I didn't even buy one. The available titles on their own weren't enough to justify the buy. They still might not be. If I do buy one and the back catalog still sucks, I'd probably pirate games. If it doesn't suck, I'll buy them. They could possibly deter me from pirating further games by giving me more. Give me the ability to play mario cart over the net. Give me the ability to transfer my wii bowling character to my neighbors box. give m e the ability to load an original Super Mario Brothers save state on his box.

I know I'm rambling/wandering a bit at this late hour, but I just don't buy this argument. Put out a better product than the free version offers, and paying customers will pay. Those still pirating weren't going to buy it anyway. They are insignificant, they were never a sale. I think we greatly blur the lines between "stolen sale" and just plain "stolen". They aren't the same in a digital world.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

#242726 - 01/05/11 10:00 AM

Guys let's stay on topic for Kreiss sakes! This thread is about Sandy Bridge not PS3 piracy or whatever!

Anyway, these dudes are hitting 6ghz on air while only hitting 74C max!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/i7_2600k_i5_2500k_2300_1155_sandy_bridge_review/1

Scud Race, SF Rush Alcatraz, and F-Zero AX @ 735fps here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Outrun2006 (01/05/11 10:02 AM)

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

#242728 - 01/05/11 11:25 AM

> > You're looking in the wrong place on this.
> >
> > There's one correlating factor for both platforms that doesn't show up on the
> others
> > so much-- ease of piracy.
> >
> > Both PS1 (and PS2 initially) required semi-expensive and difficult hardware
> > modification that not everyone could do easily. The soldering, especially on PS2,
> > would be very delicate work.
> >
> > On the other hand, Dreamcast piracy was so easy a 12-year-old could do it without
> > assistance. Download ISO, burn in appropriate tool. Same goes with PSP-- download
> > custom firmware, install it by the instructions, download and install ISO to
> > memstick.
> >
> > With piracy that easy, most people said, "Why buy something I can get for free?"
> and
> > stopped buying games on that platform. Nintendo's having some major issues with
> that
> > on the DS side now as well. It's also very true on PC-- the easier it is to pirate,
> > the more likely people will take the easy and cheap way out.
>
>
> As I was poorly eluding to in my last post... 2 points:
>
> 1 - Make your paid experience easier and more convenient that a pirated one. If
> piracy looks, or is even perceived as being a bigger pain in the ass people won't do
> it. Those that can pay, will. Those that can't pay, well, wouldn't have anyway. Steam
> models this nicely.
>
> 2 - Give people something more. Wii example. If the virtual catalog was more
> expansive I would have bought one years ago. I knew at the time I could load older
> games into it myself but didn't want the hassle, so I didn't even buy one. The
> available titles on their own weren't enough to justify the buy. They still might not
> be. If I do buy one and the back catalog still sucks, I'd probably pirate games. If
> it doesn't suck, I'll buy them. They could possibly deter me from pirating further
> games by giving me more. Give me the ability to play mario cart over the net. Give me
> the ability to transfer my wii bowling character to my neighbors box. give m e the
> ability to load an original Super Mario Brothers save state on his box.
>
> I know I'm rambling/wandering a bit at this late hour, but I just don't buy this
> argument. Put out a better product than the free version offers, and paying customers
> will pay. Those still pirating weren't going to buy it anyway. They are
> insignificant, they were never a sale. I think we greatly blur the lines between
> "stolen sale" and just plain "stolen". They aren't the same in a digital world.

1 - Depending on what you do it it easy in some cases. It took me an hour at most to be able to load stuff from a harddisk.

2 - Allot of hat you said can be done. You can send your Mii to other Wii Consoles via the Wii Remote, you can play Mario Cart Wii over the net. Unless I'm reading wrong here...

Anyway, I pirate allot but in all honesty, it's easier and coneniant, plus it's bett to play first before buying just so you know the game you'll get is good IMO. I believe if you can pay for it you should, but I still have little to spend on anything, let alone £30 Wii games/Ps2 yadda yadda.. There's atleast a few games I now own after pirating, but most have ben gifts.

Besides, you still need to pay to get some pirating done, like a large usb hardisk for wii's or modchip's for consoles.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#242750 - 01/05/11 06:42 PM

> People like to be able to tweak, and control their data. Even if
> they don't have a clue as to the what or why, make them feel like they are in control
> and they won't abandon.

No, hardcore nerds and people who grew up on 1980s home computers like to be able to do that. Most modern end users are terrified of computers and Windows and they wouldn't dream of trying to modify a game unless there's some GUI "click here to cheat" kind of thing.

> Take Steam for example. Someone could very easily download every game they offer. and
> install every game they offer on every computer they own, and fudge with the
> multilplayer workarounds, cracks, etc... or they can buy content and have it at their
> fingertips wherever and whenever they want, with extra goodies. Their experience is
> easier than piracy. Funny that piracy is such a non issue that they basically admit
> to ignoring it.

Sure, and yet in spite of your claims that Steam is end-user nirvana it does get pirated and aim-botted.

> First time I browsed I saw less than a handful of titles, said WTF, and never looked
> back. Maybe that virtual catalog has improved over the years, and I'm not aware. If
> that is the case, it brings up a marketing flaws as well. Again, if their experience
> was better or more convenient that piracy options, I'd probably own a Wii right now.

I'm not sure if you're referring to the emulation catalog or the original Wii games one, but in both cases they've expanded quite a bit. A lot of games that on the PC would go through Steam or D2D or whatever get distributed on Wii that way.

> I've owned MAME cabinets. MAME allows me to play all my favorite arcade games. I can
> have all the pirated arcade joy I can handle, and more. Could one of these "Piracy is
> death" advocates explain to my wife why I have a sickening amount of space sucking
> arcade machines in my possession?

Same reason I go to CAX. The emulation experience, even under ideal conditions, is not like real cabinets (and having real cabinets in your house is not like having 500 of them in a room with a few thousand of your fellow enthusiasts to play against). Younger people may not understand what they're missing, but get them to CAX on a real upright Star Wars with a real flight yoke and a real vector monitor that goes whiter-than-white when you destroy the Death Star and they'll understand.

That's not a direct analogy though, because in the case of PC and console games when you pirate the game you *are* getting the exact full experience.

> Like steam,with an actual cabinet I'm getting
> something "more". I'm willing to part with my money for whatever "more" is. Give
> people a better experience than they'd get through piracy and they WILL pay.

That's been tried with downloadable content for registered users. People then pirated the downloadable content.

Similarly, the 3 console stores do give you similar benefits to Steam, but that's not exactly stopping people from pirating them. (Sony and Nintendo even are offering games that were not originally available in the US/Europe since that was a common justification for mod chips. Result: people pirated the downloadable Japanese games).

> If they still aren't paying at that point they never would have in the first place,
> bottom line.

Be that as it may, there is no fundamental right to play currently-sold commercial games for free. I expect to be paid for the stuff I do at my day job, and I would hope you do as well. If people flat-out refuse to pay for games, there is no shortage of free ones on PCs and smartphones nowadays. (Although I'm going to look askance at people who willingly pay a mobile contract but won't buy Call of Duty or whatever).

> Everything pirated on either system was a title I never would
> have bought otherwise.

Given that it's not exactly hard or expensive to rent games (and there's GameFly for the agoraphobic) I fail to understand how that's any justification for piracy.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#242759 - 01/05/11 07:59 PM

> > Everything pirated on either system was a title I never would
> > have bought otherwise.
>
> Given that it's not exactly hard or expensive to rent games (and there's GameFly for
> the agoraphobic) I fail to understand how that's any justification for piracy.

I'm obviously not relaying my points in the intended manner, but don't think I am ~justifying~ piracy in any form. I conceede that it's wrong, but at the same time so is how it's dealt with.

Gamefly wasn't around back in the PS1 days of bootstriping IIRC. Rentals WERE a pain, as they were never in stock. In my personal experience, any ilicit activity I have ever participated in on the gaming front falls into 2 categories:

1 - The game would have never recieved a dime from me otherwise.

2 - The game was so good it resulted in me putting forth money that would not have been seen otherwise.

Again, I'm not justifying. I'm stating fact, for my situation. If the rest of the country's moral compass isn't pointed in that direction, so be it. Do what you have to do to get paid. All I can say is that I HAVE specifically avoided titles I would have otherwise bought due to DRM hell or the like.

So that is it in a nutshell. In MY case, piracy led to sales, and attempting to stop piracy of a title prevented sales. Maybe I'm a minority, but I refuse to believe I'm alone here.

I'm not denying there is piracy. I'm just saying that the "It's going to happen, lets focus efforts elsewhere" attitude might do some good. Get paid for your work, but until I see a valid study otherwise I refuse to believe that the actual number of LOST sales is as large as it's made out to be. We keep getting fed the line that pirated game = lost sale. That just isn't true. Attempting to fix an issue that has yet to be properly quantified is a waste of development time and money IMO. Could windows XP arguably be the most pirated OS to date? Did Microsoft lose money on it? Maybe they did, I don't know. They still seem to be around though. Must be a reason somewhere for that.

I'm not a poor college student anymore, and I participate in your paycheck RB. What I will say is that I haven't found nearly as many reasons to participate in that payday as of late. It's not a testement to your code, production, etc...but there are not a whole lot of titles that interest me lately...sorry.

If the Wii has improved their online distribution they still may have a sale from me yet. I like the idea. It was an epic failure upon release, and a marketing failure that I don't know more about it now. They didn't lose a sale due to piracy here, they lost a sale because they sucked. I can say that for quite a bit these days.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#242766 - 01/05/11 08:48 PM

> So that is it in a nutshell. In MY case, piracy led to sales, and attempting to stop
> piracy of a title prevented a sales. Maybe I'm a minority, but I refuse to believe
> I'm alone here.

You're not. I've refused to buy titles because the anti-piracy methods were so excessive they made it impossible for me to even PLAY the damn thing. That or they bitched about me having CD emulation software so they refused to run. Fuck that noise, I paid for your game and refuse to be told what I can and cannot have installed in my machine.

ranger_lennier
Reged: 04/07/05
Send PM

#242812 - 01/06/11 05:34 AM

> GBA and DS were that easy (why do you think everyone stopped making
> non-kiddie games for them?). Wii's that easy. As a result, third-party triple-A
> software dried up pretty quickly on all of those systems. The really good GBA and DS
> games were all within the first 18 months of the system, after which it was all "Dora
> the Explorer Lezzes Out With Bratz".

While I'm not going to say piracy had no effect on the GBA and DS, your description is nothing like the way I've interpreted the life cycle of these systems. Both had a steady stream of titles of interest to me throughout their life cycles (which I obtained legally). Here are some third party titles released more than 18 months after the system came out which are currently sitting on my shelf: Castlevania Portrait Of Ruin, N+, The World Ends With You, Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure, Scribblenauts, and Retro Game Challenge. Of course, it's nothing new that Nintendo systems have a relative lack of mature titles, and that a lot of the best titles are from Nintendo themselves. But I've made it this far being relatively pleased with the software available, and the 3DS is almost here.

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: So Sandy Bridge CPU's......Looks like more Awesomeness for MAME.... new [Re: Firehawke]
#242923 - 01/07/11 03:17 AM

The DS requires purchasing a DS flash cart, something you can't just walk into Wal-Mart and buy. The DS is suffering not just because of piracy but also (IMO) because of the growth of iOS. A lot of people are using an iPod touch for gaming (or buying one for their kids to game on) rather than using a DS (or buying one for their kids)

iOS piracy isn't rocket science either (in fact, IMO its just as easy to jailbreak an iPod Touch as it is to pirate for PSP) and that platform is still going gangbusters with no signs of slowing down. (including games from the big names in gaming)

As for Wii, it was never going to get the range of AAA mature titles that the PS3 and 360 get (and Nintendo never pushed it that way) but it IS getting top tier titles (e.g. Rock Band, Guitar Hero, sports titles from EA and others.

Piracy didnt kill the Dreamcast, the Dreamcast was as good as dead before it even hit the shelves (both due to the flop that was the Saturn and because of the imminent release of the PS2)

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: So Sandy Bridge CPU's......Looks like more Awesomeness for MAME.... new [Re: jonwil]
#242925 - 01/07/11 03:24 AM

I completely disagree.

I was in a game shop pretty much every afternoon five days a week for a large chunk of 1999-2000, and Dreamcast stuff was flying off the shelves-- until the boot disc appeared. After that, hardware continued to sell, but software dropped back slowly.

Sega's bad record had actually started to fade from peoples' minds, then the piracy wave spread. It wasn't more than a week before half the people I knew online or offline knew about the boot disc. (Recall that the early DC piracy required a special boot disc because they didn't know how to easily reproduce the boot session.)

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Newer games blow anyways.....but..... new [Re: Foxhack]
#242986 - 01/07/11 09:50 AM

in a resource-based economny, protection would be almost irrelevant.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 169 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5068