Pages: 1

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Quick market survey - USB controller "controller"
#270727 - 12/11/11 07:26 PM

Quick little market study on who would be interested in a device that performed the features listed below, and what you would expect to pay for it.

Basically a USB to game controller kit for wiring up joysticks/buttons and the like. Feel free to add input as to something you might like to see included

-Single USB input into PC
-50 digital inputs (buttons, joystick UDLR, coin, etc)
-Trackball input (happ, imperial)
-Spinner input (independent of trackball)
-4or8 port USB hub (additional USB inputs on controller)
-Capable of converting NES/SNES controller input
-Capable of converting PS/PS2 controller input
-Device firmware upgradable for future abilities/fixes

-optional wireless configuration in lieu of USB connection (additional cost obviously)

Thoughts?

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: Quick market survey - USB controller "controller" new [Re: italie]
#270732 - 12/11/11 09:59 PM

> Quick little market study on who would be interested in a device that performed the
> features listed below, and what you would expect to pay for it.
>
> Basically a USB to game controller kit for wiring up joysticks/buttons and the like.
> Feel free to add input as to something you might like to see included
>
> -Single USB input into PC
> -50 digital inputs (buttons, joystick UDLR, coin, etc)
> -Trackball input (happ, imperial)
> -Spinner input (independent of trackball)
> -4or8 port USB hub (additional USB inputs on controller)
> -Capable of converting NES/SNES controller input
> -Capable of converting PS/PS2 controller input
> -Device firmware upgradable for future abilities/fixes
>
> -optional wireless configuration in lieu of USB connection (additional cost
> obviously)
>
> Thoughts?

Adding output support would be cool aswell I guess.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

StevieWunderful
Reged: 11/19/04
Loc: NY
Send PM

#270735 - 12/11/11 10:29 PM

There are a Lot of encoder options out there already.
Adding some USB ports really doesnt mean much... (use a simple pre-existing hub) Nor can I understand why anyone would want console controller plug-ins... if they have true arcade controls.

What is it you are trying to accomplish that isnt already taken care of by the other guys?

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: Quick market survey - USB controller "controller" new [Re: StevieWunderful]
#270738 - 12/11/11 11:00 PM

> There are a Lot of encoder options out there already.
> Adding some USB ports really doesnt mean much... (use a simple pre-existing hub) Nor
> can I understand why anyone would want console controller plug-ins... if they have
> true arcade controls.
>
> What is it you are trying to accomplish that isnt already taken care of by the other
> guys?

Jeez, he's asking for opinions..

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#270746 - 12/12/11 01:11 AM

> Adding some USB ports really doesnt mean much... (use a simple pre-existing hub) Nor
> can I understand why anyone would want console controller plug-ins... if they have
> true arcade controls.
>
> What is it you are trying to accomplish that isnt already taken care of by the other
> guys?

I'll answer with a question of my own. Why should Chevy bother making trucks if I can get one from Ford or Dodge?

Quantum Leaper
OCRer and Monkey Typist for Galaxy Game
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Orion spiral arm of the Milky Way
Send PM

#270754 - 12/12/11 05:30 AM

> Quick little market study on who would be interested in a device that performed the
> features listed below, and what you would expect to pay for it.
>
> Basically a USB to game controller kit for wiring up joysticks/buttons and the like.
> Feel free to add input as to something you might like to see included
>
> Thoughts?

I like to see more people doing things like this. I just don't like the approach of throwing everything into one unit, most of the time, I need one function and never use other functions. I would love someone to do something like Tinkerforuge for arcade controls. So you only need to buy exactly what you need for a given project.

As for pricing, it sounds expansive the way you want to do it, by including everyone in one unit. As long as the prices are in line with other similar products it would be great, if it was cheaper than others it would be even better.

Edited by Quantum Leaper (12/12/11 12:52 PM)

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#270755 - 12/12/11 06:30 AM

> true arcade controls.
>
> guys?

Um... Try playing something like Super Metroid with an arcade control stick. It might suffice for the general movements, but won't cut it for quick subtle movements like wall jumping, mock-balls....

I guess what I'm meaning to say is - there are just sometimes when a control pad is the best option. :-)

LEVEL-4

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Quick market survey - USB controller "controller" new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#270761 - 12/12/11 08:03 AM

> Um... Try playing something like Super Metroid with an arcade control stick. It might
> suffice for the general movements, but won't cut it for quick subtle movements like
> wall jumping, mock-balls....
>
> I guess what I'm meaning to say is - there are just sometimes when a control pad is
> the best option. :-)

Most definitely.

It would be pretty slick to have an arcade controller with a row of NES, SNES, and USB ports on the front to plug controllers into. Kind of an all-in-one emulation station... I like it.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#270766 - 12/12/11 08:52 AM

> Um... Try playing something like Super Metroid with an arcade control stick. It might
> suffice for the general movements, but won't cut it for quick subtle movements like
> wall jumping, mock-balls....
>
> I guess what I'm meaning to say is - there are just sometimes when a control pad is
> the best option. :-)

I find that a control pad is actually more difficult to use for games that require certain types of quick movements.

A classic example for me is Boulder Dash on the Commodore 64. Back in the day, I played it with an Atari joystick on my friend's C64. 24 years later, I download Boulder Dash on my Wii and attempt to play it with a SNES gamepad controller connected through a N64 adapter. I find that it's almost impossible to play with the gamepad. I believe that it's because you can stop on a dime and reverse direction immediately with a stick. The gamepad is just too "loose" and imprecise. I find myself running into the enemies or getting crushed by rocks because I can't stop and change direction accurately with the gamepad.

Another possibility is that with an Atari joystick, the stick is controlled by your right hand, whereas the gamepad directional cross is controlled by your left thumb. Maybe I'm just not as coordinated with my left thumb as my right hand.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#270775 - 12/12/11 05:14 PM

If you can make guarantees about it not having latency issues, you've definitely got something there I'd consider interesting.

With the relative lack of Adaptoids out there, how about N64 support? There's also always Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast-- lots of other systems where you end up with a boatload of specialized adaptors for everything to play stuff on your PC.

Also, if you can get true button pressure sensitivity on PS2 controllers, you may have the holy grail for PS2 emulation. You may have to seperate one PS2 controller off into multiple devices to get enough axes on Windows-- a PS3 controller is the current best choice, but those triggers aren't so hot for some games (e.g. Gradius 5-- I use R1 for powerup and R2 for option control.)

I'd honestly be willing to pay up to $80 for a solid converter that just does *everything* cleanly and doesn't need me plugging and unplugging adaptors all the time. I say this because I was actually thinking about gutting a USB hub (and various adaptors) and building something like this.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/28/10
Send PM

#270784 - 12/12/11 07:22 PM

> > There are a Lot of encoder options out there already.
> > Adding some USB ports really doesnt mean much... (use a simple pre-existing hub)
> Nor
> > can I understand why anyone would want console controller plug-ins... if they have
> > true arcade controls.
> >
> > What is it you are trying to accomplish that isnt already taken care of by the
> other
> > guys?
>
> I'll answer with a question of my own. Why should Chevy bother making trucks if I can
> get one from Ford or Dodge?

If Chevy didn't exist yet and Ford and Dodge did, and then someone made a post asking whether or not they should make a company named Chevy making trucks very similar to those that Ford and Dodge make, but with a few very minor extra bells and whistles that few people may care about, wouldn't it be a valid question to ask what part of the market they expect to address that isn't addressed already by Ford and Dodge?

Your question doesn't really give the answer that you think it does.

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Quick market survey - USB controller "controller" new [Re: Naoki]
#270785 - 12/12/11 07:23 PM

> > There are a Lot of encoder options out there already.
> > Adding some USB ports really doesnt mean much... (use a simple pre-existing hub)
> Nor
> > can I understand why anyone would want console controller plug-ins... if they have
> > true arcade controls.
> >
> > What is it you are trying to accomplish that isnt already taken care of by the
> other
> > guys?
>
> Jeez, he's asking for opinions..

Jeez, he's getting them.

StevieWunderful
Send PM

#270786 - 12/12/11 07:28 PM

I also agree with Krick.

The larger bat stick may have a longer travel distance... however, you also have greater leverage and ability due to your entire hands reaction.

The Thumb is actually a pretty slow digit. Try moving your thumb left to right back and forth repeatedly for 20 seconds or more. Then do the same with your fist rocking as if holding a stick. Less fatigue, and faster more precise responses.

The only exceptions, would be if you are using a very crappy cheap-o stick. Most people will rightly so use Happs Competition sticks for most general games... Dedicated Leafs for classics, and some use the tighter less-travel Japanese sticks for shumps and other games.

Each stick has a certain advantage / disadvantage... but overall, they should be miles better than a gamepad.

morksta
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/01/11
Send PM

Re: Quick market survey - USB controller "controller" new [Re: Bryan Ischo]
#270807 - 12/13/11 02:20 AM

Bryan,

Your snipe at the end of your post that "Your question doesn't really give the answer that you think it does" is hostile and quite unnecessary.

italie is trying to do something for the emu community and gamers in general.

I think people like italie should be encouraged and not donked over the head for investigating whether there is a particular niche market for gaming peripherals.

I say good luck to you italie and I hope you manage to find the seller's edge for your adapter and make $$$$$!

Mark

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#270816 - 12/13/11 04:10 AM

> > > There are a Lot of encoder options out there already.
> > > Adding some USB ports really doesnt mean much... (use a simple pre-existing hub)
> > Nor
> > > can I understand why anyone would want console controller plug-ins... if they
> have
> > > true arcade controls.
> > >
> > > What is it you are trying to accomplish that isnt already taken care of by the
> > other
> > > guys?
> >
> > I'll answer with a question of my own. Why should Chevy bother making trucks if I
> can
> > get one from Ford or Dodge?
>
> If Chevy didn't exist yet and Ford and Dodge did, and then someone made a post asking
> whether or not they should make a company named Chevy making trucks very similar to
> those that Ford and Dodge make, but with a few very minor extra bells and whistles
> that few people may care about, wouldn't it be a valid question to ask what part of
> the market they expect to address that isn't addressed already by Ford and Dodge?
>
> Your question doesn't really give the answer that you think it does.

Okay, Change the "truck" analogy to "car", and insert "Saturn" or "Scion" in place of "Chevy".

There are a handful of reasons I'd look into this, but the main words I'm bouncing around in my head are "All-inclusive", "Cost effective", and "Spinner/Trackball and misc controller support"

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

#270818 - 12/13/11 05:28 AM

> I also agree with Krick.
>
> The larger bat stick may have a longer travel distance... however, you also have
> greater leverage and ability due to your entire hands reaction.
>
> The Thumb is actually a pretty slow digit. Try moving your thumb left to right back
> and forth repeatedly for 20 seconds or more. Then do the same with your fist rocking
> as if holding a stick. Less fatigue, and faster more precise responses.
>
> The only exceptions, would be if you are using a very crappy cheap-o stick. Most
> people will rightly so use Happs Competition sticks for most general games...
> Dedicated Leafs for classics, and some use the tighter less-travel Japanese sticks
> for shumps and other games.
>
> Each stick has a certain advantage / disadvantage... but overall, they should be
> miles better than a gamepad.

To me the most awkward part of playing console games with an arcade stick are the shoulder buttons. Pressing shoulder buttons with your index finger while manipulating other stuff with your thumbs is very intuitive. The same maneuver on a flat arcade panel is awkward at best. Hitting the equivalent of the left shoulder button with your joystick hand is pretty much impossible.

Also, the point (at least for me) is to replicate the original experience as much as possible. A decent gamepad can at least approximate the experience of a fair number of classic systems. Having connections for the original controllers would give me that many more options.

StevieWunderful
Send PM

Re: Quick market survey - USB controller "controller" new [Re: DMala]
#270828 - 12/13/11 08:09 AM

Personally, I dont understand why you feel its different.

In the arcade, Street Fighter IIce got me hooked. I ran out and bought an SNES as soon as SFII came out for it. Was very disappointed in how poorly it was to try to use shoulder buttons as high kick & high punch. Even worse is trying to play Killer Instinct with them accurately.

Even simple moves like dragon punches were a ton easier with real arcade sticks, rather than the dpad.

In fact, in the arcade, I and a group of like 20 regulars played KI several times a week for hours at a time... and I got to the point where I was doing combos while holding down a certain button.. then when you end the combo with a special move, you release that button...which adds more damage + speeds up the move by 50%. No way in hell Id be able to pull that stuff off well on an Snes controller.

Trust me, I loved the consoles. I have owned (and still own most) C64,Amiga500,Atari 2600, Sega Master System,Snes,Sega CD,Atari Lynx,PS1,PS2, NeoGeo CD,(other consoled Ive played.. but never owned). Also have, Spy Hunter Arcade, Asteroids Deluxe Arcade, Sega Turbo Arcade, and 3 pinball machines. I loved games so much, that I ended up managing a Namco Arcade for 3yrs.

Ive learned the ins and outs of almost every type of controller... as from an early age, I ripped them apart to see how they worked... and years later, fixed them, most especially in the arcade.

My very first realization about arcade level controls-vs-console gamepads came from the Sega Master System. A game called Maze Hunter 3D. You had to run on Ice.. exactly two tiles long, then make an immediate one tile diagonal, then jump across a 2 tile gap chasm. It was impossible to do accurately with a dpad. Then I found an Epyx handheld joystick that worked with the C64 & SMS. It has real arcade micro-switches in it, and is very close in construction and accuracy of real happs controllers. I was able to nail the complicated & precise jump almost every time with that stick.

I dont think there are any console controllers that come close to the control, durability, accuracy, etc.. of real arcade controllers.

I can see gamepads for nostolgia.. or cheap means of playing a game.. but IMO, the control is far inferior to real arcade controls. And heck, remember that most consoles and even computers... had plenty of arcade ported titles. Though sadly, almost none of them were worthy.
A lot of times it was the missing and adapted controls that have ruined those ports... such as Spy Hunter. You simply cant play that game right... without the real controllers.

StevieWunderful
Send PM

#270829 - 12/13/11 08:18 AM

Andys newest controller (U-Hid) supports almost any configuration you can imagine... from multiple trackballs, multiple spinners, multiple pedals / multiple pots, rotary joystick support, and even can output voltage/leds.

At $80, its not cheap... but for what it does, its quite awesome... and I cant imagine much improving upon that level of customizable functionality.

My post wasnt meant to be an attack... merely a question of what direction you were intending.. and how you were going to compete in a crowded interface market.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#270835 - 12/13/11 10:25 AM

I suppose I should mention that the only control pad.. e.g. "D-Pad" that I prefer is the type that's used in the Sega Saturn controller. And not to argue the point, perhaps it's just a matter of personal preference... But like I said, there are times, and certain games , where using a D-Pad for movements is easier than using a stick. imo. And, for example: fighting games would best be used with a stick. etc. :-)

I could go further and request someone that knows how to do some (so-called) "advanced" techniques in a game such as Super Metroid - to try them with a stick and then a pad and convey which of the 2 was easier to use.

Then again, that could also depend on which type of controller the person was used to using for that game. I've tried an arcade control stick in that game... And I didn't do very well at all.

I know some feel that the nes/snes d-pads are superior, and I also wonder what they're smoking.

Edited by T0M (12/13/11 10:27 AM)

LEVEL-4

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#270837 - 12/13/11 10:34 AM

This reply doesn't really answer your question/s. But I will say this...

When I was trying to figure out how to make a rotary controller / 'Discs of TRON Spinner' - I also envisioned being able to connect some handle controls to it or a steering wheel, which would connect to the knob that rotates. I'd also need a way to lock it from moving up/down, as well as add some tension and limits to how far it could turn -if needed.

I just had another brilliant idea!

LEVEL-4

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#270841 - 12/13/11 01:53 PM

> Andys newest controller (U-Hid) supports almost any configuration you can imagine...
> from multiple trackballs, multiple spinners, multiple pedals / multiple pots, rotary
> joystick support, and even can output voltage/leds.
>
> At $80, its not cheap... but for what it does, its quite awesome... and I cant
> imagine much improving upon that level of customizable functionality.
>
> My post wasnt meant to be an attack... merely a question of what direction you were
> intending.. and how you were going to compete in a crowded interface market.

I'm not taking anything as an attack. I'm not really looking at this as a profit venture ATM either, more of a "Could I break even if I spun a few boards." I'm aware of the U-Hid, and see much room for improvement at an $80 price point, with the price point being one of the improvements.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

#270850 - 12/13/11 06:42 PM

> I know some feel that the nes/snes d-pads are superior, and I also wonder what
> they're smoking.

I always thought NES controllers in general were superior, until I resurrected my NES and actually used one again. Larger hands + 27 years of evolution in ergonomic design means my memory of the NES controller was far superior to the objective reality.

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Send PM

#270854 - 12/13/11 08:15 PM

> I'm not taking anything as an attack. I'm not really looking at this as a profit
> venture ATM either, more of a "Could I break even if I spun a few boards." I'm aware
> of the U-Hid, and see much room for improvement at an $80 price point, with the price
> point being one of the improvements.

I'm curious to know what your thinking is on that $80 price point. I have bought controllers from Andy and did think they seemed expensive for what they are, but then I don't know much about the costs of doing custom board design and fabrication, either in development cost or production cost.

Are you saying that you think you can make a board comparable to the one that Andy makes for significantly less than $80 and still make a comfortable profit (if you're not planning on making a profit, then I don't think you can really be serious, since there is no way that you're going to be able to sustain the time and energy necessary to complete this project without an expected payoff)?

If so, can you give any details about what leads you to that conclusion? I'm genuinely curious.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#270895 - 12/14/11 06:31 AM

> > I'm not taking anything as an attack. I'm not really looking at this as a profit
> > venture ATM either, more of a "Could I break even if I spun a few boards." I'm
> aware
> > of the U-Hid, and see much room for improvement at an $80 price point, with the
> price
> > point being one of the improvements.
>
> I'm curious to know what your thinking is on that $80 price point. I have bought
> controllers from Andy and did think they seemed expensive for what they are, but then
> I don't know much about the costs of doing custom board design and fabrication,
> either in development cost or production cost.

I'm not knocking Andy, he's delivered a good product for years. I do question the $80 price point in that I know can do more, for much less. I'm not saying that Andy has been gouging either, just that newer technologies can do the job cheaper.

> Are you saying that you think you can make a board comparable to the one that Andy
> makes for significantly less than $80 and still make a comfortable profit (if you're
> not planning on making a profit, then I don't think you can really be serious, since
> there is no way that you're going to be able to sustain the time and energy necessary
> to complete this project without an expected payoff)?

What would you say to a device that had:

4 joystick support
10 buttons per joystick (start, coin, shift, etc...)
Dual trackball support (or 1 trackball and 2 spinners)
A 4 to 8 port USB hub
LED support
Rumble support
3 steering wheel support
Legacy controller support (NES/SNES/PS2/tbd)
Probably a handful of other goodies that I haven't thought of yet.

All in on package, under $50. Legacy controller sockets would probably be extra cost, as would any custom pigtails. That math is on very small runs, at a fairly decent profit as well. I might even toy with the idea of wireless or bluetooth if they seem worth it.

> If so, can you give any details about what leads you to that conclusion? I'm
> genuinely curious.

My conclusion is based upon professional experience. I might be leaving that profession behind, and might like a project or two to keep me busy. Then again I might not. We'll see.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#270902 - 12/14/11 10:29 AM

> What would you say to a device that had:
>
> 4 joystick support
> 10 buttons per joystick (start, coin, shift, etc...)
> Dual trackball support (or 1 trackball and 2 spinners)
> A 4 to 8 port USB hub
> LED support
> Rumble support
> 3 steering wheel support
> Legacy controller support (NES/SNES/PS2/tbd)
> Probably a handful of other goodies that I haven't thought of yet.
>
> All in on package, under $50. Legacy controller sockets would probably be extra cost,
> as would any custom pigtails. That math is on very small runs, at a fairly decent
> profit as well. I might even toy with the idea of wireless or bluetooth if they seem
> worth it.

I'd buy one or two.

StevieWunderful
Send PM

#270916 - 12/14/11 05:36 PM

What would you say to a device that had:

Quote:

4 joystick support
10 buttons per joystick (start, coin, shift, etc...)
Dual trackball support (or 1 trackball and 2 spinners)

- If two trackballs are supported, that should equate to 4 spinners (warlords). Wiring could probably be slaved off the same inputs, with a toggle pin to kill the signal to the unused devices. A button setup could be programmed to scroll thru the devices, enabling or disabling them in sequence. Possible LED lights up the active controls.

- I dont think there are any games that use a trackball and a spinner together, so alternating them would be a nice way to have more controls off one controller board.

Quote:

Rumble support

- True arcade motor support would be nice. Such as being able to drive a real high-current force feedback wheel, or outrun shaker motor directly. Other desired outputs, would be 30v coil output support for both T2 guns, Qbert knocker, and maybe at least 3 coils for pinball support. (left&right flippers, and one coil for anything else activated)

Andys board only outputs 5v I believe.. and so unless you are a guru of electronics.. which most of us are not... theres no good solution for easy plug and play wiring up of coils & motors. No kickback on Time Crisis guns, T2 guns...etc. Which is quite sad. Howards 'Mamehooker' supports the devices.. but we need a way to actually interface with them hardware-wise.

Quote:

3 steering wheel support

- Does that mean each wheel has 3 analog pedals with it?
Two Race Drivin machines linked would equate to 12 pots:

2 ten turn wheel pots
2 analog gas pedal
2 analog brake pedal
2 analog clutch pedals
2 shifter X pots
2 shifter Y pots

Not only would making a device to read a 10 turn pot be completely Epic.. (people & mfgs would start building their own race-drivin wheels.. or maybe use of 900 degree wheels?), but also, the analog shifter design of Race Drivin is far superior to any switch based shifter. Its durable as hell, and could be programmed using custom software, to be used in many different gear configurations. (just have to swap the top mounted restriction plate)

Quote:

Legacy controller support (NES/SNES/PS2/tbd)
Probably a handful of other goodies that I haven't thought of yet.

- What about true 12 position mechanical rotary joysticks for games like Time Soldiers and Ikari Warriors?

- And 49 way optical joystick support? for Sinistar alone, its worth it.

Quote:

as well. I might even toy with the idea of wireless or bluetooth if they seem worth it.

- IMO, I could care less about wireless. That just means money spent on batteries. Also, wireless stuff only last so long before they eventually give out.

Other things desired, that currently are not on the market:

A custom pinball controller device:
- hooks to pc
- programs it via pc, upload to onboard ram/flash chip
- easy programming mode: drag and drop w/ pulldowns & checkboxes. minimalist if/then basic, similar to gary kitchens game maker of the c64 days, if needed. (no defining variable crap, or difficult/complex commands & scripts needed, but still able to make great things)
- Advanced Language support for the Gurus.
- 5 speaker output. Surround + Sub.
- Lighting: Flashers, Leds, Typical pinball bulb lamps
- Able to activate videos / music / sounds from a pc, if desired. (lcd based backbox animations)
- Large number of high current coil and motor support.
- Hall, Optical, and Mechanical swtich support.
- Use of webcam via pc, for taking pics, and or possibly as an additional sensor, using advanced kinnect style captures.
(possible used overhead, as a failsafe that can tell when a sensor / device is no longer working properly.. and the game can adjust to compensate)
- coil power output adjustment ability. Can tweak strength of voltages, for machine thats losing some power.. and or to adjust the coils precisely for better gameplay.

Theres a lot of interest in real pinball now, partially because of virtual pinball / pinmame. However, theres no easy to set up way to replicate a real machine.. nor design your own machine. Partly because most artistic / creative people just dont have a programmers mind. Or dont have the easy to wire electronics needed to realize something. You could say that its like keyboard/joystick encoders: Once they became available... all sorts of people started making their own arcade controllers.

This is something that could save Pinball from disappearing completely, and the new interest would spur new part runs... rather than stock vanishing completely, and never being re-ran.

Edited by xiaou2 (12/14/11 05:44 PM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#270921 - 12/14/11 05:57 PM

> 4 joystick support
> 10 buttons per joystick (start, coin, shift, etc...)
> Dual trackball support (or 1 trackball and 2 spinners)
> A 4 to 8 port USB hub
> LED support
> Rumble support
> 3 steering wheel support
> Legacy controller support (NES/SNES/PS2/tbd)
> Probably a handful of other goodies that I haven't thought of yet.

I'd buy one with those specs.

ratsflif
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/12/06
Send PM

#270928 - 12/14/11 07:15 PM

Hell, I would pay $100 for that devoce

uVSthem
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/06/11
Send PM

#270967 - 12/15/11 02:44 AM

I'm interested in the optional wireless. Is it possible to make it compatible with the wireless Xbox 360 adapter?

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Quick market survey - USB controller "controller" new [Re: uVSthem]
#270979 - 12/15/11 04:57 AM

> I'm interested in the optional wireless. Is it possible to make it compatible with
> the wireless Xbox 360 adapter?

Not sure. Haven't looked at the xbox controllers at all. I thought there was some sort of security on them though.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#270981 - 12/15/11 05:39 AM

- If two trackballs are supported, that should equate to 4 spinners (warlords).
> Wiring could probably be slaved off the same inputs, with a toggle pin to kill the
> signal to the unused devices. A button setup could be programmed to scroll thru the
> devices, enabling or disabling them in sequence. Possible LED lights up the active
> controls.
>
> - I dont think there are any games that use a trackball and a spinner together, so
> alternating them would be a nice way to have more controls off one controller board.

yeah, you could dice up the 4 axii any way you wanted really.

> - True arcade motor support would be nice. Such as being able to drive a real
> high-current force feedback wheel, or outrun shaker motor directly. Other desired
> outputs, would be 30v coil output support for both T2 guns, Qbert knocker, and maybe
> at least 3 coils for pinball support. (left&right flippers, and one coil for anything
> else activated)
>
> Andys board only outputs 5v I believe.. and so unless you are a guru of
> electronics.. which most of us are not... theres no good solution for easy plug and
> play wiring up of coils & motors. No kickback on Time Crisis guns, T2 guns...etc.
> Which is quite sad. Howards 'Mamehooker' supports the devices.. but we need a way to
> actually interface with them hardware-wise.

If MAME throws an output, I'm sure they could be integrated. I wouldn't so much be concentrating on powering items like that, but I could very easily throw out trigger lines to support external relays. PWM controlling is also possible

> - Does that mean each wheel has 3 analog pedals with it?
> Two Race Drivin machines linked would equate to 12 pots:
>
> 2 ten turn wheel pots
> 2 analog gas pedal
> 2 analog brake pedal
> 2 analog clutch pedals
> 2 shifter X pots
> 2 shifter Y pots
>
> Not only would making a device to read a 10 turn pot be completely Epic.. (people &
> mfgs would start building their own race-drivin wheels.. or maybe use of 900 degree
> wheels?), but also, the analog shifter design of Race Drivin is far superior to any
> switch based shifter. Its durable as hell, and could be programmed using custom
> software, to be used in many different gear configurations. (just have to swap the
> top mounted restriction plate)

I'm not sure where you get all of those pots from, shifter and clutch pedals were generally digital inputs on most racing games. I could probably handle up to 24 independent pot inputs with some creative muxing, but that is something I'd really have to work with carefully.

> - What about true 12 position mechanical rotary joysticks for games like Time
> Soldiers and Ikari Warriors?
>
> - And 49 way optical joystick support? for Sinistar alone, its worth it.

My thoughts are to have all the input settings hot flash-able via a GUI, so as long as you don't mind chewing up 10 inputs or so per controller it would be completely possible.

> as well. I might even toy with the idea of wireless or bluetooth if they seem worth
> it.
>
> - IMO, I could care less about wireless. That just means money spent on batteries.
> Also, wireless stuff only last so long before they eventually give out.
>

Just a thought. Might be worth it for smaller setups, and with the rising popularity of HTPCs

> Other things desired, that currently are not on the market:
>
> A custom pinball controller device:
> - hooks to pc
> - programs it via pc, upload to onboard ram/flash chip
> - easy programming mode: drag and drop w/ pulldowns & checkboxes. minimalist if/then
> basic, similar to gary kitchens game maker of the c64 days, if needed. (no defining
> variable crap, or difficult/complex commands & scripts needed, but still able to make
> great things)
> - Advanced Language support for the Gurus.
> - 5 speaker output. Surround + Sub.
> - Lighting: Flashers, Leds, Typical pinball bulb lamps
> - Able to activate videos / music / sounds from a pc, if desired. (lcd based backbox
> animations)
> - Large number of high current coil and motor support.
> - Hall, Optical, and Mechanical swtich support.

This ~would~ be the coolest farking thing in the world, but would require ungodly amounts of tech if you were going to make it even partially universal. Kinda like a programmable Ne-Wumpf, right?

> - Use of webcam via pc, for taking pics, and or possibly as an additional sensor,
> using advanced kinnect style captures.
> (possible used overhead, as a failsafe that can tell when a sensor / device is no
> longer working properly.. and the game can adjust to compensate)
> - coil power output adjustment ability. Can tweak strength of voltages, for machine
> thats losing some power.. and or to adjust the coils precisely for better gameplay.
>
> Theres a lot of interest in real pinball now, partially because of virtual pinball /
> pinmame. However, theres no easy to set up way to replicate a real machine.. nor
> design your own machine. Partly because most artistic / creative people just dont
> have a programmers mind. Or dont have the easy to wire electronics needed to realize
> something. You could say that its like keyboard/joystick encoders: Once they became
> available... all sorts of people started making their own arcade controllers.
>
> This is something that could save Pinball from disappearing completely, and the new
> interest would spur new part runs... rather than stock vanishing completely, and
> never being re-ran.

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

Would you like a pony with that? new [Re: StevieWunderful]
#270992 - 12/15/11 07:16 AM

With all those extra features it'll never come in at the $50 price point.

StevieWunderful
Send PM

#271009 - 12/15/11 04:41 PM

Quote:

yeah, you could dice up the 4 axii any way you wanted really.

- well, I guess I just wanted to specifically recommend that you allow both trackballs, and 4 spinners to be wired up at the same time, and on the same ports. The reason, is that if you have dual trackballs (rampart, marble madness), you might also wish to have spinners as well. Rather than getting another encoder, or swapping things out... some sort of cycle pin might be a nice way to control how the user selects which controls are active... yet not actually needing 22 optical input pins, because most of the pins would be shared.

Quote:

If MAME throws an output, I'm sure they could be integrated. I wouldn't so much be concentrating on powering items like that, but I could very easily throw out trigger lines to support external relays. PWM controlling is also possible

- I had a feeling you would say that. Its a shame too, because a game like T2 isnt the same without the powerful kick of a real coil. I can only hope Someone makes a plug-n-play coil board. If it were as simple as wiring up a relay to a larger coil, it would be cake. However, you cant find affordable power supplies that do like 30v... so that leaves you with needing to know how to step up the voltage. I think that means using a transformer... but thats beyond me. It also means you need to diode the thing with the correct diode, to protect the controller from burning out. Ive seen people hack things together, however, none of them seemed 100% sure or confident of the things.

Time Crisis, T2, Point Blanc, Qbert, Pinball games, and many many more, utilize coils. I think it would sell quite well, if only for T2... let alone Time Crisis... and all the pinball builders out there would flip for the added realism to put into their virtual pinball tables.

Quote:

I'm not sure where you get all of those pots from, shifter and clutch pedals were generally digital inputs on most racing games. I could probably handle up to 24 independent pot inputs with some creative muxing, but that is something I'd really have to work with carefully.

- I used to repair games in an arcade. Race Drivin actually uses all analog pots on their inputs. Not digital. Most arcade drivers use analog gas, brake, and wheel. Even most console games are all analog. Shifters and Clutches are usually digital... with exception to the sitdown versions of Hard/Race Drivin. There are also games like Afterburner, which use an analog thrust lever controller.

I think 12 is a decent number. As I dont remember any game that used more than that, even when both machines were linked.

The 10-Turn pot is obviously a special case, as only Race/Hard Drivin uses that. However, I think its really important to make support for such classic games to have their proper controller abilities. Race Drivins wheel is Epic. From center, its about 3 full turns in either direction, to full travel. (or 6 turns from far left to far right)

I think some new-er PC games support 900 degree wheels... and while that may not be compatible, its possible that the larger turn ratio could be scaled using software, so that the Race Drivin wheel could be used in them.

Quote:

My thoughts are to have all the input settings hot flash-able via a GUI, so as long as you don't mind chewing up 10 inputs or so per controller it would be completely possible.

- Sadly, Mame does not allow for True 12 way controller support as it Should. In order to get around this crippling limitation... hardware MFGs have had to make a system which virtually sends a single keypress when you turn the knob, and the key sent would depend on the direction you turned. The big problem, with this, is that mame will never know which way is what. Your dial could be facing down.. but your on-screen character is facing up.

Another problem, is digital Shifters. Mame again does not support shifters accurately in the drivers. Most arcade shifters are either held on, or held off. All they would have to do is simply allow gamepad only input for that.. and we could have perfect shifter support without effecting their hacky 'click key to toggle' mode.

So, in order to do this, the same kinda thing has to be done.. where the encoder has to be programmed to send one keypress when held on. One one keypress when held off.

Digital Multigear shifters are even more of a mess.

Quote:

Just a thought. Might be worth it for smaller setups, and with the rising popularity of HTPCs

- I understand. However, and maybe Im wrong.. but I think checking and sending that much data wirelessly without any lag or problems, could be costly and difficult.

Quote:

This ~would~ be the coolest farking thing in the world, but would require ungodly amounts of tech if you were going to make it even partially universal. Kinda like a programmable Ne-Wumpf, right?

- I dont know what a Ne-Wumpf is. Google didnt help either.

Most pinball logic is very simple. Just a bunch of loops and minimal logic. I cant imagine it being too difficult to simplify the creation process. Just like with website creation.. you can type it all out by hand in code... Or, you can use a drag and drop editor, and tweak a few parameters. Weather it be hardware Risc based.. or a windows program that takes your data and compiles it into a more machine-friendly language.. is not a big deal. Its the user end result that counts. Ease and speed of creation.

If someone can develop the hardware, Im sure I could spend some time making a logical framework for how the system could work.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#271038 - 12/16/11 03:44 AM

> - well, I guess I just wanted to specifically recommend that you allow both
> trackballs, and 4 spinners to be wired up at the same time, and on the same ports.
> The reason, is that if you have dual trackballs (rampart, marble madness), you might
> also wish to have spinners as well. Rather than getting another encoder, or swapping
> things out... some sort of cycle pin might be a nice way to control how the user
> selects which controls are active... yet not actually needing 22 optical input pins,
> because most of the pins would be shared.
>

The devices would need some type of latching enabled via software. Possible, but I don't know of anyone who would have 4 spinners and 2 trackballs on the same panel. I'd have to think about the extra ~80 cents needed to do that...

> - I had a feeling you would say that. Its a shame too, because a game like T2 isnt
> the same without the powerful kick of a real coil. I can only hope Someone makes a
> plug-n-play coil board. If it were as simple as wiring up a relay to a larger coil,
> it would be cake. However, you cant find affordable power supplies that do like
> 30v... so that leaves you with needing to know how to step up the voltage. I think
> that means using a transformer... but thats beyond me. It also means you need to
> diode the thing with the correct diode, to protect the controller from burning out.
> Ive seen people hack things together, however, none of them seemed 100% sure or
> confident of the things.

> Time Crisis, T2, Point Blanc, Qbert, Pinball games, and many many more, utilize
> coils. I think it would sell quite well, if only for T2... let alone Time Crisis...
> and all the pinball builders out there would flip for the added realism to put into
> their virtual pinball tables.

Finding power to activate coils isn't the hard part at all. It's the variable amount of ways that coils were used, the types of coils used, voltages used...etc. Chances are if you have that level of detail that you are using a real gun anyway. It's MUCH easier just to throw a line out to activate a relay. I wouldn't see a need to concern for any more than that, nor waste board space or money on it. There are plenty of sites, including this one, that can help you wire a relay. A lot of guns used motors with weighted shakers anyway.

> - I used to repair games in an arcade. Race Drivin actually uses all analog pots on
> their inputs. Not digital. Most arcade drivers use analog gas, brake, and wheel. Even
> most console games are all analog. Shifters and Clutches are usually digital... with
> exception to the sitdown versions of Hard/Race Drivin. There are also games like
> Afterburner, which use an analog thrust lever controller.
>
> I think 12 is a decent number. As I dont remember any game that used more than that,
> even when both machines were linked.

> The 10-Turn pot is obviously a special case, as only Race/Hard Drivin uses that.
> However, I think its really important to make support for such classic games to have
> their proper controller abilities. Race Drivins wheel is Epic. From center, its about
> 3 full turns in either direction, to full travel. (or 6 turns from far left to far
> right)
>
> I think some new-er PC games support 900 degree wheels... and while that may not be
> compatible, its possible that the larger turn ratio could be scaled using software,
> so that the Race Drivin wheel could be used in them.

The number of turns on a pot, or the number of pots you use could easily be handled in software. This isn't an issue. Depending on the chip I'd use I could probably allocate as many as 24. As I said before, you'd be sacrificing inputs somewhere else in doing anything beyond 3 pots.

> - Sadly, Mame does not allow for True 12 way controller support as it Should. In
> order to get around this crippling limitation... hardware MFGs have had to make a
> system which virtually sends a single keypress when you turn the knob, and the key
> sent would depend on the direction you turned. The big problem, with this, is that
> mame will never know which way is what. Your dial could be facing down.. but your
> on-screen character is facing up.

Not sure how MAME handles these, so I can't speak on it. All I know is that I can provide whatever signal MAME is looking for, I can't change the way MAME behaves.

> Another problem, is digital Shifters. Mame again does not support shifters
> accurately in the drivers. Most arcade shifters are either held on, or held off. All
> they would have to do is simply allow gamepad only input for that.. and we could have
> perfect shifter support without effecting their hacky 'click key to toggle' mode.
> So, in order to do this, the same kinda thing has to be done.. where the encoder has
> to be programmed to send one keypress when held on. One one keypress when held off.
>
> Digital Multigear shifters are even more of a mess.

Ditto.

> - I understand. However, and maybe Im wrong.. but I think checking and sending that
> much data wirelessly without any lag or problems, could be costly and difficult.

Possibly. Haven't looked into it with any great detail, and probably wouldn't for a bit. I'd definitely account for expansion just in case.

> - I dont know what a Ne-Wumpf is. Google didnt help either.

Sorry, mis-typed. Ni-Wumpf

> Most pinball logic is very simple. Just a bunch of loops and minimal logic. I cant
> imagine it being too difficult to simplify the creation process. Just like with
> website creation.. you can type it all out by hand in code... Or, you can use a drag
> and drop editor, and tweak a few parameters. Weather it be hardware Risc based.. or a
> windows program that takes your data and compiles it into a more machine-friendly
> language.. is not a big deal. Its the user end result that counts. Ease and speed of
> creation.
>
> If someone can develop the hardware, Im sure I could spend some time making a
> logical framework for how the system could work.

Depends GREATLY on the goal. Any thing more than simple trigger signals for relays would be a logistical nightmare. You worked on arcades, so surely you've seen how many different types of kickers, motors, solenoids, lights, etc were used on various tables. Even if you could make the hardware variable enough to drive everything, explaining to the user how to set it up properly would be hell. Not to mention that if it's video pinball anyway, about the only things worth hooking up would be a kicker, chimes, and whatever topper the machine might have had...

Any scope beyond that is just too much IMO. Ni-wumpf and the like do a good job of recreating control boards on a common model basis anyway...

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

#271051 - 12/16/11 06:57 AM

The handling on Data East-style multiple direction knobs is already correct. There IS no actual facing for it. It defaults to up at the start, period, and turns are logical rather than absolute.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

#271052 - 12/16/11 06:57 AM

There is. It's unbroken, and the only way to really make it work would be to wire it up to a dismantled 360 wireless controller. Not really a solid option.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 147 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3287