View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

OfHistory
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/07/12
Send PM

How to strect the game only at integer ratios? new
#291171 - 07/08/12 12:25 AM

I don't get MAME to use the video options I want.

My monitor has a resolution of 1360x768.
The native game resolution is 256x240.

What I want is: MAME shall stretch the game as much as it can, but only at integer ratio. The rest of the screen shall be filled with black bars.

That means in practice: MAME shall strect the 256x240 pixels three times so that it is 768x720.
Then it shall put the 768x720 game image into the 1350x768 screen and fill the top and the bottom of the screen with 24 black pixels each and the left and right with 296 pixels each.

----------

Let's illustrate it:

Let's say this is my screen:

And this is the game image in its native resolution:

What I want is this:

This would be totally wrong:

And this, even though it keeps the aspect ratio, doesn't stretch at an integer ratio, but fills the screen vertically no matter what (some pixels of the game image are bigger than others), so it's wrong too:

In the old MAME version (version 0106 and earlier, where DirectDraw was the default), I managed to do it the way I want like this:

Code:

mame romname -r 1360x768 -nohws

Now, how can I trigger the same output with the new MAME and Direct3D? I'd be very grateful if you could help me and give me the exact command line call for this.

Oh, and by the way: This is not about enabling or disabling the bilinear filter. I consciously switched the bilinear filter off so that the game looks pixelated and not blurry. So, telling me to enable the filter so that the image looks like this wouldn't help me:

My question is really just about forcing MAME to calculate at integer ratios since in the moment, it always fills the screen vertically.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: How to strect the game only at integer ratios? new [Re: OfHistory]
#291178 - 07/08/12 02:26 AM

Locate your mame.ini

Quote:

# WINDOWS VIDEO OPTIONS
#
video d3d
numscreens 1
window 0
maximize 1
keepaspect 1
prescale 1
waitvsync 1
syncrefresh 1
menu 0

Then after launching a game press TAB/video options
and you will be able to get things exactly how you want it.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: How to strect the game only at integer ratios? new [Re: B2K24]
#291179 - 07/08/12 02:30 AM

> Locate your mame.ini
>
> # WINDOWS VIDEO OPTIONS
> #
> video d3d
> numscreens 1
> window 0
> maximize 1
> keepaspect 1
> prescale 1
> waitvsync 1
> syncrefresh 1
> menu 0
>
> Then after launching a game press TAB/video options
> and you will be able to get things exactly how you want it.

I don't understand how enabling vsync helps with "uneven" pixels

He needs to keep whatever his current settings are and set prescale to 2 or 3.

S

Waremonger
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

Re: How to strect the game only at integer ratios? new [Re: Sune]
#291184 - 07/08/12 06:10 AM

> > Locate your mame.ini
> >
> > # WINDOWS VIDEO OPTIONS
> > #
> > video d3d
> > numscreens 1
> > window 0
> > maximize 1
> > keepaspect 1
> > prescale 1
> > waitvsync 1
> > syncrefresh 1
> > menu 0
> >
> > Then after launching a game press TAB/video options
> > and you will be able to get things exactly how you want it.
>
> I don't understand how enabling vsync helps with "uneven" pixels
>
> He needs to keep whatever his current settings are and set prescale to 2 or 3.
>
> S

I'm pretty sure the options that the OP is looking for is:

mame gamename -video ddraw -nohwstretch

I just tried it with Pac-man and it did what the OP wanted. I had prescale set to 2 but I don't know if that matters with ddraw mode enabled.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#291186 - 07/08/12 07:18 AM

CabMAME and GroovyMAME (see my signature for links) both have the option to use integer stretching (called "cleanstretch".

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: How to strect the game only at integer ratios? new [Re: krick]
#291188 - 07/08/12 07:37 AM

> CabMAME and GroovyMAME (see my signature for links) both have the option to use
> integer stretching (called "cleanstretch".

Also he could use the Windows version of SDLMAME (or compile it from MAME sourcecode if he so desired) and use "sdlmame -nounevenstretch" or whatever - if I recall correctly. No sourcecode patch needed!

That said, if someone did _just_ a patch for regular MAME to add this and submitted it, I'd campaign for it for all I'm worth.

- Stiletto

B2K24
Send PM

Re: How to strect the game only at integer ratios? new [Re: Stiletto]
#291189 - 07/08/12 08:23 AM

GameEX does this by default with the official MAME binary. I would upload a screen grab but it doesn't capture the black bars.

OfHistory
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: How to strect the game only at integer ratios? new [Re: B2K24]
#291198 - 07/08/12 11:41 AM

Thanks a lot for your help so far. Unfortunately, I didn't manage to set the configuration how I want to yet.

The people who suggested to use another version of MAME: Thanks, but I'd really like to use the standard version. I mean, there must be an option for what I need. That's the default behavior of every emulator. FCE Ultra, Nestopia, ZSNES, Visual Boy Advance. They all show fullscreen the way I described (with integer stretching and black bars on all four sides). So, I cannot imagine MAME simply not having it. Especially since you can enable it with DirectDraw. And if GameEX does this by default, there must be a way to find out the plain command line call for it. But just using a completely different product shouldn't be the alternative.

Quote:

Then after launching a game press TAB/video options
and you will be able to get things exactly how you want it.

Sorry, it didn't work. I used the options you gave me and then I went into the video options. But whatever I choose, the height of the screen is always completely filled. What do I have to do exactly?

Quote:

He needs to keep whatever his current settings are and set prescale to 2 or 3.

Prescale only determines how much the image is scaled in memory before it is drawn to the screen, removing blurriness while still leaving the bilinear filter intact. But as far as I see, it has no influence on the actual size of the image on the screen. The final image is still stretched to the whole height.

Quote:

I'm pretty sure the options that the OP is looking for is:

mame gamename -video ddraw -nohwstretch

Yes, that's what I'm looking for. But this option uses the old, outdated DirectDraw render method. And I was actually looking for a version to do this in Direct3D.

Is there really no possibility to leave the vertical stretching at an integer ratio? I mean, they have options for horizontal stretching: I can fill the whole screen, I can opt for a 4:3 ratio, I can use the native ratio. All of them resulting either in no black bars at all or in black bars of various size. So, they offered all this for horizontal stretching. But why is it so hard to find out how to do the same for vertical stretching?

Calamity
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/30/11
Send PM

Re: How to strect the game only at integer ratios? [Re: OfHistory]
#291204 - 07/08/12 01:47 PM

Hi OfHistory,

It's a well known fact that integer scaling is not supported by mainstream MAME's Direct3D interface. This is by design.

"Pixel perfect" rendering (or integer scaling as an special case of it) is fortunately still supported, but relegated to the DirectDraw interface. Read the "newvideo.txt" doc for details.

SailorSat created a patch for enabling integer scaling with Direct3D, named -cleanstretch, it's the only solution to the date (CabMAME and GroovyMAME implement this hack).

OfHistory
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: How to strect the game only at integer ratios? new [Re: Calamity]
#291206 - 07/08/12 02:29 PM

In this case, the MAME developers are a bunch of morons. I mean, the old versions had this feature, even in Direct3D:
Code:

mame romname -r 1360x768 -d3d -cs full

Why do they consciously decide to remove a certain feature? Especially since it's not some obscure function, but the default behavior in basically every single considerable emulator. What did they think?

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#291207 - 07/08/12 02:53 PM

> In this case, the MAME developers are a bunch of morons. I mean, the old versions had
> this feature, even in Direct3D:mame romname -r 1360x768 -d3d -cs fullWhy do they
> consciously decide to remove a certain feature? Especially since it's not some
> obscure function, but the default behavior in basically every single considerable
> emulator. What did they think?

It was a complete video rewrite (0.107). Perhaps it was forgotten, intended to be implemented but the core author did not get the chance to do so.. not sure. Basically what Stiletto already mentioned above.. you have options.

There is so much good about MAME I'm upset at the fact that you choose to focus on one particular shortcoming in Windows (regular build, not SDL) for one video mode (D3D) to the point of calling an entire team of dedicated people who volunteer their real time, efforts and money to contribute to an open and source free project.. "morons"? I suppose you are entitled to your opinion but you really should think about what you say before you say it. You are not leaving me with a good first impression, that's all I can say.

Calamity
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/30/11
Send PM

#291208 - 07/08/12 03:35 PM

Well, that's a bit unfair to say the least. MAME is an awesome project, despite of things like that. There's usually a workaround for nearly everything, and when there's not, you have the source code there to change it as you like. Anyway, I believe it's important to raise awareness on these issues.

OfHistory
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: How to strect the game only at integer ratios? new [Re: Tafoid]
#291209 - 07/08/12 03:38 PM

Quote:

There is so much good about MAME I'm upset at the fact that you choose to focus on one particular shortcoming in Windows (regular build, not SDL) for one video mode (D3D) to the point of calling an entire team of dedicated people who volunteer their real time, efforts and money to contribute to an open and source free project.. "morons"?

Well, that's not just one particular shortcoming, it's an actual game breaking issue. In the moment, I only have three options:
1. Playing the game with a bilinear filter, having blurry images.
2. Playing the game with some pixels stretched more than others.
3. Using DirectDraw which defeats the purpose of implementing the new video system in the first place.

And as I already said: That's the default behavior in every freaking emulator anyway. That's like if manufacturers of a 16:9 TV "forget" to make it possible to let you see a 4:3 program in 4:3 with black bars left and right and only enable you to horizontally stretch the image or to cut off the top and the bottom of it. How would you call those people?

Integer scaling is not just some random little option like debug output or anything. It's the option that enables you to actually play the game with all the pixels correctly in place. This feature missing is like a car whose windows are curved and distort the outside image.

By the way, the new video display was changed six years ago. Don't you think if they simply "forgot" it, they should have remembered it again by now?

Quote:

I suppose you are entitled to your opinion but you really should think about what you say before you say it. You are not leaving me with a good first impression, that's all I can say.

I do think about what I say before I say it. And just because the MAME developers can program doesn't mean I have to admire everything they do. It's a fact that integer scaling is the default behavior for most emulators. And it's a fact that the bilinear filter looks nothing like a TV screen, so it's not really an alternative. And every amateur sprite comic tutorial tells you to never stretch sprites in numbers other than full integers. So, yes, if a world-famous emulator misses this basic feature, there's only one word for it: Moronic. Especially because the MAME developers managed to create such a huge program, their mistake is even more glaring. That's like if someone writes "I would of done that" instead of "I would've done that." You can forgive him if he's just a teenager, but if a university professor of the English language writes "I would of done that", then that's a prime example of stupidity. So, if some IT student tries to write his first little video game, I might not bother if he forgets to implement integer scaling. But the one and only arcade emulator not even having the default display option? That's unforgivable.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#291210 - 07/08/12 04:08 PM

It may surprise you to hear this, but most game systems and some computer system didn't actually have square pixels. What do Nintendo SNES, SNK NeoGeo, Capcom CPS1 and Apple Lisa have in common? Rectangular pixels that are not square! If you're trying to force the pixels to be square, you're doing it wrong.

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: How to strect the game only at integer ratios? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#291215 - 07/08/12 05:04 PM

This works for me. Image not stretched and has black bars (or bezel artwork) where it should...

Code:

#
# WINDOWS VIDEO OPTIONS
#
video d3d
numscreens 1
window 0
maximize 1
keepaspect 1
prescale 1
waitvsync 0
syncrefresh 0
menu 0

OfHistory
MAME Fan
Send PM

#291219 - 07/08/12 05:43 PM

Quote:

It may surprise you to hear this, but most game systems and some computer system didn't actually have square pixels. What do Nintendo SNES, SNK NeoGeo, Capcom CPS1 and Apple Lisa have in common? Rectangular pixels that are not square! If you're trying to force the pixels to be square, you're doing it wrong.

And? That has nothing to do with the current topic.
The statement "The original games didn't have square pixels" and the statement "MAME always stretches the screen vertically" are two completely unrelated issues that have nothing to do with each other. I mean, it's not that stretching the screen vertically has anything to do with emulating the correct look and feel of the games.
The video options "Standard" and "Pixel aspect", they are about what you mentioned here. But my complain that vertical stretching cannot be disabled has nothing to do with the fact that pixels weren't square on old monitors.

Quote:

This works for me. Image not stretched and has black bars (or bezel artwork) where it should...

What screen and screen resolution do you use? Because on my screen (1360x768 LCD screen), it still looks like this:

Are you sure that on your PC it really looks like this here with black borders on all four sides, not just left and right?

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: How to strect the game only at integer ratios? new [Re: Waremonger]
#291220 - 07/08/12 05:55 PM

> I'm pretty sure the options that the OP is looking for is:
>
> mame gamename -video ddraw -nohwstretch
>
> I just tried it with Pac-man and it did what the OP wanted.

Yeah that will work too. But performance is better at high resolutions with artwork enabled when using the D3D renderer. And you can't use HLSL effects when using ddraw.

> I had prescale set to 2
> but I don't know if that matters with ddraw mode enabled.

IIRC the Prescale setting only works with the D3D renderer. When HLSL is enabled it has no effect, the Prescale value found among the HLSL settings takes precedence.

There's a clear difference in "pixel even-ness" at 1280x1024 (my native resolution) between prescale 0 and 3, especially on very low res games.

S

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#291224 - 07/08/12 06:23 PM

> It may surprise you to hear this, but most game systems and some computer system
> didn't actually have square pixels.

That's not the issue, he's not looking for square pixels, just "evenly stretched" pixels. It's not the same as the "fat chun li" aspect ratio thing.

/EDIT okay so it kind of is, but there are two issues overlapping here.

He's complaining primarily about unevenness, some pixels getting stretched vertically more than others. In H@P's post above you can see it happening horizontally as well.
For me, setting prescale to 3 almost gets rid of stretching artifacts. IMHO setting an appropriate prescale value is good enough but I don't think the OP agrees.

S

OfHistory
MAME Fan
Send PM

#291241 - 07/08/12 07:45 PM

So, in your setting, the screen really shows an image where the top and the bottom has black bars?

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#291247 - 07/08/12 08:45 PM

> So, in your setting, the screen really shows an image where the top and the bottom
> has black bars?

No of course not (*)...I don't understand why you would want that. Also being an asshole about it and insulting people doesn't help your cause.

I like the image to take up as much screen space as possible while keeping the correct aspect ratio - like on a real 4:3 arcade monitor.
But most arcade games (or entire systems like CPS2) used resolutions that were not 4:3 or 3:4.
With the game running, the operator would adjust the monitor so that the image would fill the screen, 4:3 or 3:4 for vertical games. The games were designed with that in mind.
Moon Patrol for example uses a resolution that produces a square image, 240x252. You must stretch the image horizontally into a 4:3 aspect ratio for the wheels on the moon buggy to be round. Therefore, when you look at an arcade monitor running the Moon Patrol game PCB at the correct aspect ratio, what immediately appears to be individual pixels are most probably single elements in the monitor's RGB mask. MAME lets you simulate this behavior with HLSL effects...and it looks absolutely fantastic.

If you applied your 'integer stretching' to Moon Patrol, then the wheels on the buggy would not be round...and if you applied it to Street Fighter, Chun Li would be fat. And that's just wrong.

MAME "adjusts the monitor" for you automatically - but if you don't up the prescale value as well this causes the stretching artifacts that you describe where entire lines get stretched taller than others.

Another thing, you keep going on about bilinear filtering, but this can be disabled in mame.ini. And it should be when using effects pngs or HLSL with an appropriate prescale value.
If you're still seeing some kind of filtering applied (like when using hwstretch with the old renderer) then that's done automatically by your video card's drivers. This is outside of MAME's control.

(*) well yes..on horizontally oriented games it does because my monitor is 5:4 (1280x1024) but that's beside the point.

S

OfHistory
MAME Fan
Send PM

#291256 - 07/08/12 11:01 PM

Quote:

> So, in your setting, the screen really shows an image where the top and the bottom
> has black bars?

No of course not (*)...I don't understand why you would want that.

Then, why do you say: "For me, setting prescale to 3 takes care of it"? Your setting does not solve what I was describing, so why do you wonder "why it doesn't work for the OP"? It doesn't work because it isn't what I described in the first place.

Why I want black borders on all four sides? Because a height of 240 pixels doesn't completely fit into a screen with 768 pixels. So, I want to stretch the image to three times 240 (= 720) pixels and display them like that. Which of course means that 48 pixels will be unused. Stretching an image of 720 pixels to a screen of 768 pixels does one of two things: If you have the bilinear filter set, it still makes the image a bit blurry. Or, if you have the bilinear filter off, then some pixels will be stretched four times while most to the pixels will be stretched three times. On the other hand, if there are black bars on top and bottom, then every pixel will be stretched three times.

Quote:

I like the image to take up as much screen space as possible while keeping the correct aspect ratio - like on a real 4:3 arcade monitor.

This would be an understandable argument if MAME actually attempted to simulate the look of an actual arcade monitor. But it doesn't.

Let me show you a practical example:
This is a raw image of "Super Mario Bros.":

This is the same image stretched:

And this is the image with a filter that tries to simulate a TV screen:

However, this is not what MAME would do. MAME would do something like this:

Or, if you use the prescale option:

Which looks a bit less blurry, but still has nothing to do with a TV screen.

Or, if you disable the bilinear filter altogether, it would look like this:

None of the versions in MAME is satisfactory. That's why I want to have this:

And I don't want MAME to stretch at floating point values without me explicitly saying so.

Quote:

Moon Patrol for example uses a resolution that produces a square image, 240x252. You must stretch the image horizontally into a 4:3 aspect ratio for the wheels on the moon buggy to be round.

That's all fine and well, but the stretching in MAME neither looks like an arcade monitor, nor like the raw data of the 240x252 image. And if I have the choice between a custom stretch made by the graphic card of the computer, or showing the raw data, then I choose the raw data. Because the graphic card stretching looks totally different from the real deal while the raw data is at least what the game would look like on a handheld system like a Game Boy. And thus, I want integer scaling, which means, yes, some of the pixels are unused.

Quote:

MAME "adjusts the monitor" for you automatically

And that's the problem. Adjusting the monitor should be an option, right along with integer scaling. We shouldn't be stuck with one of them. I mean, Nestopia has all: Integer scaling, 4:3 scaling, 4:3 scaling with artificial TV-look filter, stretching with and without bilinear filter. Or no stretching at all (i.e. displaying a tiny little 256x224 image unaltered on a 1360x768 monitor). Why does MAME omit the integer scaling, especiall since it is implemented in the DirectDraw version?

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#291257 - 07/08/12 11:16 PM Attachment: mpatrol.png 1346 KB (0 downloads)

> I like the image to take up as much screen space as possible while keeping the
> correct aspect ratio - like on a real 4:3 arcade monitor.
> This would be an understandable argument if MAME actually attempted to simulate the
> look of an actual arcade monitor. But it doesn't.

Uh...yes it does, where have you been?

I've got a four letter word for you: HLSL

S

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#291258 - 07/08/12 11:21 PM Attachment: mpatrol_png.png 131 KB (0 downloads)

> > I like the image to take up as much screen space as possible while keeping the
> > correct aspect ratio - like on a real 4:3 arcade monitor.
> > This would be an understandable argument if MAME actually attempted to simulate the
> > look of an actual arcade monitor. But it doesn't.
>
> Uh...yes it does!

This is with an effects .png, prescale 3 and no filtering - click the image and zoom so you get the full res image.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

#291259 - 07/08/12 11:44 PM

Can I ask you what png effect you are using looks good. My video card is to old and doesn't support HLSL and my other pc just has a onboard graphics. I would like to try these settings.
Thanks

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: How to strect the game only at integer ratios? new [Re: joey35car]
#291261 - 07/08/12 11:56 PM Attachment: SR2Azoomed.png 4 KB (0 downloads)

> Can I ask you what png effect you are using looks good.

It's Scanrez2_Althor.

It looks much better on higher resolution games though, like all the other png files, at 1280x1024 it's just too "small" for low res games like Moon Patrol IMHO.

Don't use the attached one, it's a 3200% zoom

S

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

#291264 - 07/09/12 12:43 AM

Thanks I won't I have it already in my artwork folder. lol Just wanted to know which one you used for that example. My screen has black borders on all 4 sides on moon patrol. This normal since this is what this thread is about?

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#291266 - 07/09/12 01:07 AM Attachment: Burgertime.jpg 97 KB (0 downloads)

> My screen has black borders on all 4 sides on moon
> patrol. This normal since this is what this thread is about?

That shouldn't be happening, games should stretch to the edge of your display in at least one direction. Post the contents of your mame.ini and tell me what video card you have.

With the right settings MAME will fill as much of your screen as possible while keeping the game running at a 4:3 (or 3:4 for vertical games) aspect ratio.
On horizontal-monitor games I get black bars at the top and the bottom because my monitor is 5:4. Some games fill this space with bezel artwork, which is nice. For vertically oriented games, it's even better..although Burger Time appears a bit squeezed horizontally in the attached screenshot.

Note that if you don't have artwork_crop set to 1, MAME will try to fit all of the game artwork on your monitor. If the game you've loaded up has high res bezel artwork (and you don't have an incredibly huge and high-res display) this causes the actual game area to be very small.

Burger Time on my 5:4 display with artwork_crop set to 1:

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

H@P
Lurker in perpetuity
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Seattle area
Send PM

Re: How to strect the game only at integer ratios? new [Re: Stiletto]
#291267 - 07/09/12 01:08 AM Attachment: pacman-1.png 42 KB (0 downloads)

Even -nounevenstretch doesn't seem to help. Maybe it's another obscure setting conflicting, or maybe even my wonky ATI card drivers, but this is what I get with -nounevenstretch.

I highlighted two columns that are unevenly stretched with respect to the others. Same thing happens full screen, I just couldn't get a screen grab unless windowed.

You don't tend to notice it in static screens like pacman, but you do in scrolling games like mslugx. You kinda get a "shimmering" effect during the scroll.

H@P

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by H@P (07/09/12 01:27 AM)

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: How to strect the game only at integer ratios? new [Re: H@P]
#291268 - 07/09/12 01:31 AM

> Even -nounevenstretch doesn't seem to help. Maybe it's another obscure setting
> conflicting, or maybe even my wonky ATI card drivers, but this is what I get with
> -nounevenstretch.
>
> I highlighted two columns that are unevenly stretched with respect to the others.
> Same thing happens full screen, I just couldn't get a screen grab unless windowed.
>
> You don't tend to notice it in static screens like pacman, but you do in scrolling
> games like mslugx. You kinda get a "shimmering" effect during the scroll.

What if you disable artwork - does it still work as intended?

- Stiletto

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

#291269 - 07/09/12 01:44 AM

I was wondering if you can share your setting in HLSL so I can try it when I get a new graphics card.

Thanks

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

#291272 - 07/09/12 02:01 AM

Don't know how to take a pic of the screen. I hit f12 but doesn't show the whole screen. Tried to take a screen shot but it's all black. In moon patrol it has the black borders on the side and just a little black on the top and bottom like the one you posted. This pc has an on board graphics card nothing else. This is noticeable in moon patrol while other games do fill but still has a slight black border on the top and bottom like in burger time. All the settings are default in mame.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

#291274 - 07/09/12 02:11 AM Attachment: mame.ini 7 KB (4 downloads)

Copy of my mame ini

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#291275 - 07/09/12 02:22 AM

I don't see anything incriminating. It's probably shitty video drivers and/or hardware.

#
# CORE SOUND OPTIONS
# WINDOWS PERFORMANCE OPTIONS
#
priority 0
multithreading 0 <---you definitely want this at 1
numprocessors auto
profile 0
bench 0

#
# WINDOWS VIDEO OPTIONS
#
video d3d
numscreens 1
window 0
maximize 1
keepaspect 1
prescale 1 <--- I'd set this to 2 or 3. Try 2 first and see if there's any visible improvement. This setting has no effect when using HLSL, which has its own prescale setting.
waitvsync 0
syncrefresh 0
menu 0

#
# DIRECT3D-SPECIFIC OPTIONS
#
d3dversion 9 <------You can try setting this to 8, maybe it'll work better with your on board video.
filter 1 <------and disable filtering - set to 0

#
# FULL SCREEN OPTIONS
#
triplebuffer 0 <----- if you can set a refresh rate higher than 60Hz in your video card control panel, set triplebuffer to 1 for smoother scrolling.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

#291277 - 07/09/12 02:32 AM

> I don't see anything incriminating. It's probably shitty video drivers and/or
> hardware.
>
> #
> # CORE SOUND OPTIONS
> # WINDOWS PERFORMANCE OPTIONS
> #
> priority 0
> multithreading 0 <---you definitely want this at 1
> numprocessors auto
> profile 0
> bench 0
>
> #
> # WINDOWS VIDEO OPTIONS
> #
> video d3d
> numscreens 1
> window 0
> maximize 1
> keepaspect 1
> prescale 1 <--- I'd set this to 2 or 3. Try 2 first and see if there's any visible
> improvement. This setting has no effect when using HLSL, which has its own prescale
> setting.
> waitvsync 0
> syncrefresh 0
> menu 0
>
> #
> # DIRECT3D-SPECIFIC OPTIONS
> #
> d3dversion 9 <------You can try setting this to 8, maybe it'll work better with
> your on board video.
> filter 1 <------and disable filtering - set to 0
>
>
> #
> # FULL SCREEN OPTIONS
> #
> triplebuffer 0 <----- if you can set a refresh rate higher than 60Hz in your video
> card control panel, set triplebuffer to 1 for smoother scrolling.

My monitor is set at 75 hertz, I will try the setting you mentioned. By the way how about your settings you have for HLSL?

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#291278 - 07/09/12 02:33 AM

> I was wondering if you can share your setting in HLSL so I can try it when I get a
> new graphics card.

Just enable HLSL in mame.ini. When you run a game you can tweak the settings using MAME's OSD and see the effect immediately.
I'm not sure if there's a way to get it to actually save the settings while editing, I wrote them down while I was messing around and then filled them in in mame.ini later. Some settings (I don't remember which) are really GPU hungry, try to identify them so you don't cause a huge GPU load for nothing.

My settings will not be optimal for you because of differences in display resolution and aspect ratio...and personal taste.

S

H@P
Lurker in perpetuity
Send PM

EDIT: How to strect the game only at integer ratios? new [Re: Stiletto]
#291280 - 07/09/12 03:09 AM

Going into TAB menu/Video Options and changing from "Pacman Upright Artwork" to "Standard (3:4)" looks identical to the posted screenshot, except without the artwork.

Selecting "Pixel Aspect (7:9)" looks like it gives evenly sized pixels, but isn't that option what you don't want to do? e.g. isn't that "fat Chun Li" mode?

H@P

EDIT: Sure enough, set mslugx to "Pixel Aspect (10:7)" and lose the "shimmering" scrolling. Add a little -waitvsync to lose tearing. Butter.

Edited by H@P (07/09/12 07:02 AM)

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

#291281 - 07/09/12 03:09 AM

> Even -nounevenstretch doesn't seem to help. Maybe it's another obscure setting
> conflicting, or maybe even my wonky ATI card drivers, but this is what I get with
> -nounevenstretch.
>
> I highlighted two columns that are unevenly stretched with respect to the others.
> Same thing happens full screen, I just couldn't get a screen grab unless windowed.
>
> You don't tend to notice it in static screens like pacman, but you do in scrolling
> games like mslugx. You kinda get a "shimmering" effect during the scroll.
>
> H@P

When I turn my d3d filter off I get the same effect but when it is enabled looks smoother.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#291283 - 07/09/12 03:18 AM

> Selecting "Pixel Aspect (7:9)" looks like it gives evenly sized pixels, but isn't
> that option what you don't want to do? e.g. isn't that "fat Chun Li" mode?

Yes exactly, although in Pac Man it doesn't make much of a difference.

S

B2K24
Send PM

#291293 - 07/09/12 05:19 AM

> I was wondering if you can share your setting in HLSL so I can try it when I get a
> new graphics card.

Here is what I currently use. It's not the best out there but it should get you started.

http://pastebin.com/wZm9L2Y6

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

#291299 - 07/09/12 07:38 AM Attachment: mame_0146_32bit_cleanstretch.rar 16559 KB (7 downloads)

You could always just get off your lazy ass and compile your own version of baseline MAME, adding SailorSat's cleanstretch patch from here...

http://community.arcadeinfo.de/showthread.php?9555-ENGLISH-Overview

It's in the download section, called "Hacks 0.145 as .DIFF".
It's for MAME 145, but it still works since the files haven't changed much.

You can get the MAME compiling tools from here...

http://mamedev.org/tools/

...and the MAME source from here...

http://mamedev.org/release.html

You can get MAME update patches here...

http://mamedev.org/updates.html

...along with windows patch and diff tools.

This is the command to apply the patch above...

patch -p0 -E <0145_cleanstretch.diff

It took me less than an hour to download everything and build the attached binary, most of which was waiting for the compile to finish.

cleanstretch defaults to on, so all you'll need to do is create a mame.ini file and change "filter" to 0 to disable bi-linear filtering otherwise it will be blurry.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#291314 - 07/09/12 04:28 PM

This is why I've grown to hate working on MAME.

Nobody in the 6 year history of that feature has *ever* reported it not to work properly until now, and this is the wrong forum to do it in to boot.

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

Re: How to strect the game only at integer ratios? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#291315 - 07/09/12 04:45 PM

> This is why I've grown to hate working on MAME.

“Hate”, really? Hopefully, it’s a knee-jerk reaction. Your contributions are amazing, but seriously, if you are at the point of "hate" when it comes to MAME...

Please step back, take a break, or retire from it (Or at least less time towards it).

Again, your support and efforts of this project are wonderful, but rather you not completely burn out or reach the point of "hate".

H@P
Lurker in perpetuity
Send PM

#291323 - 07/09/12 06:48 PM

> Nobody in the 6 year history of that feature has *ever* reported it not to work properly
> until now, and this is the wrong forum to do it in to boot.

Heh... Honestly, the first time I tried -unevenstretch is right after Stiletto said it should work. I knew some test cases after reporting something similar a while back. Probably on the wrong forum then too.

If it makes you feel better, it's pretty subtle and you only really notice it if you turn off filtering, and stare at blocky pixels, which I sometimes do for some odd reason.

> This is why I've grown to hate working on MAME.

Sorry to hear that. I appreciate your contributions.

H@P

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#291326 - 07/09/12 07:31 PM

> Heh... Honestly, the first time I tried -unevenstretch is right after Stiletto said
> it should work. I knew some test cases after reporting something similar a while
> back. Probably on the wrong forum then too.

That makes me feel a bit better, but now I'm mad at people that I know use it and said it worked fine.

For the record, what resolution are you running at?

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: How to strect the game only at integer ratios? new [Re: Trebor]
#291333 - 07/09/12 10:45 PM

> > This is why I've grown to hate working on MAME.
>
> “Hate”, really? Hopefully, it’s a knee-jerk reaction. Your contributions are amazing,
> but seriously, if you are at the point of "hate" when it comes to MAME...

Nah don't worry, that was surely about users and user feedback, not the actual coding, reverse-engineering and discovering how things work kind of stuff.

S

H@P
Lurker in perpetuity
Send PM

#291379 - 07/10/12 07:01 AM

> For the record, what resolution are you running at?

SDL Device Driver : x11
SDL Monitor Dimensions: 1680 x 1050

It happens windowed or fullscreen, using the soft or opengl driver.

H@P

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#291410 - 07/10/12 05:03 PM

> Nah don't worry, that was surely about users and user feedback, not the actual
> coding, reverse-engineering and discovering how things work kind of stuff.

You're wrong. It's all of the above.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#291447 - 07/10/12 10:10 PM

> > Nah don't worry, that was surely about users and user feedback, not the actual
> > coding, reverse-engineering and discovering how things work kind of stuff.
>
> You're wrong. It's all of the above.

Usually you're just fed up with us I'm sorry to hear that you feel that way.

S

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#291480 - 07/11/12 04:22 AM

> > > Nah don't worry, that was surely about users and user feedback, not the actual
> > > coding, reverse-engineering and discovering how things work kind of stuff.
> >
> > You're wrong. It's all of the above.
>
> Usually you're just fed up with us I'm sorry to hear that you feel that way.
>
> S

Nah.. I've been bugging him too much. It happens when people get a "Tafoid Overload".. :P

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

#292738 - 07/28/12 07:24 AM

> Why does MAME omit the integer
> scaling, especially since it is implemented in the DirectDraw version?

So... did you ever try the MAME exe with the cleanstretch patch that I attached to my earlier post?

I'm curious if this is what you're looking for.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

#295338 - 09/08/12 11:44 PM

> > Nobody in the 6 year history of that feature has *ever* reported it not to work
> properly
> > until now, and this is the wrong forum to do it in to boot.
>
> Heh... Honestly, the first time I tried -unevenstretch is right after Stiletto said
> it should work. I knew some test cases after reporting something similar a while
> back. Probably on the wrong forum then too.
>
> If it makes you feel better, it's pretty subtle and you only really notice it if you
> turn off filtering, and stare at blocky pixels, which I sometimes do for some odd
> reason.

Was -nounevenstretch ever fixed, or is it still broken?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5783