MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DarthNuno
Arcade Life Styler'
Reged: 01/07/05
Loc: Singe's caste...in Belgium
Send PM

Galaxian3 : Emulation? Who can help? Who can I help?
#334130 - 11/02/14 12:48 AM

Well, It's amazing (but also sad) that no one really tried to emulate that beast so far :-(
Did you know that the Galaxian3 hardware is almost the same than the Starblade hardware (see here).

The Galaxian3 hardware is just a pre version of what became the well know 'Namco System 21' hardware.

The Galaxian3 is basically twice the Starblade hardware (once dedicated for left screen, the other to the right screen), with the addition of a specific board called 'V-MIX'...that takes the 3D objects computed by the set of boards 1 (almost the same than Starblade as I said) for the right screen + takes the 3D objects computed by the set of boards 2 for the left screen ... and just mix the result with the video (pre rendered background) signals coming from the laser disc players...

I'm sure 80% of the job is already done. Argh... that would be the ultimate challenge for this non emulated laser disc game! And we are talking about a great NAMCO game that many of us would like to play, not an obscure and unknown game...

I'm ready to provide anything you need, do all the test required, to commission/kickstarter/whatever to make this happens... it's still time : my galaxian3 is still 100% up & running, including both mission : Project Dragoon & Attack of the Zolgear :-)
Once again, don't be afraid about the size of the game, it's just 'twice' the Starblade hardware (2 CPU communicating) + pre-rendered video on the background...

Saving Galaxian3, guys!

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Reged: 02/06/12
Loc: an open field west of a white house with a boarded front door.
Send PM

Re: Galaxian3 : Emulation? Who can help? Who can I help? new [Re: DarthNuno]
#334133 - 11/02/14 02:54 AM

Just a coincidence, but this is the one guy who should be contacted about this game!
He has gone out of his way to buy and document everything about it he can.
I don't even know him but I feel a brothership with him trying to get some obscure space laserdisc game supported.

There is no law in the arena

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#334138 - 11/02/14 04:49 AM

> Did you know that the Galaxian3 hardware is almost the same than the Starblade
> hardware (see here).

Excellent work putting all of that documentation together !! It will greatly help anyone who wants to add it to MAME / get it emulated.

Moose

McHale
Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: BFE Illinois
Send PM

Re: Galaxian3 : Emulation? Who can help? Who can I help? new [Re: Moose]
#334140 - 11/02/14 05:49 AM

> Excellent work putting all of that documentation together !! It will greatly help
> anyone who wants to add it to MAME / get it emulated.

according to his link, Naibo was submitting a driver in 2009. I wonder what happened...

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#334144 - 11/02/14 10:39 AM

Are those LDs dumped yet ?

Antny
Lurker
Reged: 10/10/03
Send PM

#334156 - 11/02/14 08:15 PM

Did anyone rip the laserdisc yet? Unfortunately I don't think there is any interest in emulating the remaining laserdisc games. AFAIK the discs would need to be ripped and then encoded with the frame information. I think will are still waiting for the "perfect" rips, which I doubt will even happen. I also remember hearing that the discs degrade over time. I think it's called bit-rot.

Besides, Aaron seems to be gone for good.

Thanks for providing help....if and when it is needed.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Galaxian3 : Emulation? Who can help? Who can I help? new [Re: McHale]
#334182 - 11/03/14 05:08 PM

> > Excellent work putting all of that documentation together !! It will greatly help
> > anyone who wants to add it to MAME / get it emulated.
>
> according to his link, Naibo was submitting a driver in 2009. I wonder what
> happened...

Yeah, Naibo was definitely working on it and then he disappeared.

DarthNuno
Arcade Life Styler'
Send PM

Re: Galaxian3 : Emulation? Who can help? Who can I help? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#334192 - 11/04/14 12:18 AM

Arf, too bad for Naibo... :-/

Who could be able to help on this Namco hardware now? :-S

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#334193 - 11/04/14 12:37 AM

> > > Excellent work putting all of that documentation together !! It will greatly help
> > > anyone who wants to add it to MAME / get it emulated.
> >
> > according to his link, Naibo was submitting a driver in 2009. I wonder what
> > happened...
>
> Yeah, Naibo was definitely working on it and then he disappeared.

Yiikes .... Maybe Aliens set-up a hidden programming challenge .... emulating Galaxian3 h/w .... and he finished most of the code and people were amazed, gathering round saying stuff like "you're gonna bust the record !" and then maybe he heard "you have been recruited by the star league ...." and hasn't been seen (on Earth) since ?

Stranger things have happened ....

Moose

Rygar9
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/08/08
Send PM

Re: Galaxian3 : Emulation? Who can help? Who can I help? new [Re: Antny]
#334197 - 11/04/14 01:11 AM

I think there's interest, I just think there are many facets to this topic.

First, Digital Leisure is still selling the two most popular laserdisc games. That makes this a touchy area. IIRC, MameDev attempted to contact them to work out a deal like Daphne has, but they declined.

Second, I think I recall reading that there was some disagreement about how detailed the emulation should be.

I also recall being told that all of the known and available LD's were ripped and archived. You're right, bit-rot is a thing and it will kill the existing LD's sooner rather than later, but when I asked about it months ago I was reassured that the bulk of the LD's have already been saved.

RB? Am I off or did I miss anything?

Antny
Lurker
Reged: 10/10/03
Send PM

Re: Galaxian3 : Emulation? Who can help? Who can I help? new [Re: Rygar9]
#334200 - 11/04/14 04:05 AM

Yeah, I know there are a few "touchy" ones. I remember a discussion about getting a rip that captured every nuance of the disc. I think someone was supposed to use a special capture card or something that would get it all. I don't that has happened yet. Matt O was making progress with Star Rider but I haven't heard anything in a while.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Galaxian3 : Emulation? Who can help? Who can I help? new [Re: Antny]
#334237 - 11/05/14 02:05 AM

> Besides, Aaron seems to be gone for good.

He's busy spawning, and doing grown-up man things.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#334238 - 11/05/14 02:06 AM

> Arf, too bad for Naibo... :-/
>
> Who could be able to help on this Namco hardware now? :-S

The only reason you aren't being skewered and spit is because you own the hardware and all......cos, this is basically a 'do this game!' request.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

drewcifer
One bad Mutha-(shut yo' mouth!)
Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Sweden
Send PM

Re: Galaxian3 : Emulation? Who can help? Who can I help? new [Re: Traso]
#334256 - 11/05/14 12:08 PM

> The only reason you aren't being skewered and spit is because you own the hardware
> and all......cos, this is basically a 'do this game!' request.

Disagreed. There's a big difference between "do this game" and "I have (potentially) the only machine like this in existence and I will go to great lengths to help someone do this game."

The latter is a rare opportunity, and gold for someone who has the time and talent. MAMEWorld just happened to be the best way Darth knew to contact someone like this.

/Andrew

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

#334257 - 11/05/14 12:26 PM

I must confess I read your whole topic about buying and rebuilding the behemoth of a machine and loved the little details in it. I certainly would love to see this system emulated with LDs!

Are the boards linked by network or some other interface though?

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

casm
Cinematronics > *
Reged: 08/27/07
Send PM

Re: Galaxian3 : Emulation? Who can help? Who can I help? new [Re: drewcifer]
#334266 - 11/05/14 11:23 PM

> Disagreed. There's a big difference between "do this game" and "I have (potentially)
> the only machine like this in existence and I will go to great lengths to help
> someone do this game."
>
> The latter is a rare opportunity, and gold for someone who has the time and talent.
> MAMEWorld just happened to be the best way Darth knew to contact someone like this.

Concur.

For anyone not familiar with DarthNuno and his Galaxian3 Theatre, I would strongly recommend checking out the whole saga here, as well as the other posts on the subject (and Starblade). He's probably done more than anyone else at this point to ensure that the game remains both preserved and playable, and this really comes across as a genuine offer of help on his behalf to make sure that this extends to MAME.

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

#334267 - 11/05/14 11:37 PM

> > Arf, too bad for Naibo... :-/
> >
> > Who could be able to help on this Namco hardware now? :-S
>
>
> The only reason you aren't being skewered and spit is because you own the hardware
> and all......cos, this is basically a 'do this game!' request.

That's like saying that the only reason you aren't massacred and maimed it's because it's illegal and all.... cos, it is basically a "pragmatical thing".

You're so wrong in oh so many levels that somewhere God is killing 10^13 kittens. A "do this game request" is when someone ask for a game not in MAME so they can play for free, either because they can't spend the money on buying the real deal no matter how much they love the game, or because they just don't care about others' efforts as long as they get what they want, or anywhere between those extremes.

This guy already has the real deal. What he is offering is the opportunity to emulate and preserve this game for everyone. Call it altruism if you want, I'd do it. You can even see it from a selfish point of view: the dude wants to squeeze his investiment and thinks preserving the game is the best way instead of hoarding it from everyone's view. But in no way it's "basically a do this game request" or "another quirky do this game request", not even "a strange deviation from the group of standard do this game requests we have witnessed until now.

You don't have to say everything you think, but think about everything you say. If you had to have your facts straight before opening your mouth... You'd not talk much.

Please notice I haven't called you a creepy dumbass anywhere in this post. MAME is a condom.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: Galaxian3 : Emulation? Who can help? Who can I help? new [Re: casm]
#334283 - 11/06/14 05:50 AM

You guys really need to remember who started this little tangent and do what 99% of normal people do, ignore it.

I'd enjoy seeing that game running. I only got to play it a few times years ago when it was new. Was impressive, but at $5 (I think) a game, not very re-playable. Good luck.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Galaxian3 : Emulation? Who can help? Who can I help? new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#334316 - 11/06/14 05:42 PM

> You guys really need to remember who started this little tangent and do what 99% of
> normal people do, ignore it.

I can't help it, I'm endlessly fascinated by the Hehn Brigade because he's teetering on the edge of failing the Turing Test on some threads.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#334332 - 11/06/14 09:58 PM

> > You guys really need to remember who started this little tangent and do what 99% of normal people do, ignore it.

> I can't help it, I'm endlessly fascinated by the Hehn Brigade because he's teetering on the edge of failing the Turing Test on some threads.

I don't think I ever passed. Turing schmuring......

Besides, who said I was starting/stiring anything? I was making a legitimate point, for your minds to note.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Galaxian3 : Emulation? Who can help? Who can I help? new [Re: Pi]
#334333 - 11/06/14 10:04 PM

> > The only reason you aren't being skewered and spit is because you own the hardware and all......cos, this is basically a 'do this game!' request.

> That's like saying that the only reason you aren't massacred and maimed it's because it's illegal and all.... cos, it is basically a "pragmatical thing". You're so wrong in oh so many levels that somewhere God is killing 10^13 kittens. A "do this game request" is when someone ask for a game not in MAME so they can play for free, either because they can't spend the money on buying the real deal no matter how much they love the game, or because they just don't care about others' efforts as long as they get what they want, or anywhere between those extremes.

> This guy already has the real deal. What he is offering is the opportunity to emulate and preserve this game for everyone. Call it altruism if you want, I'd do it. You can even see it from a selfish point of view: the dude wants to squeeze his investiment and thinks preserving the game is the best way instead of hoarding it from everyone's view. But in no way it's "basically a do this game request" or "another quirky do this game request", not even "a strange deviation from the group of standard do this game requests we have witnessed until now.

> You don't have to say everything you think, but think about everything you say. If you had to have your facts straight before opening your mouth... You'd not talk much.

> Please notice I haven't called you a creepy dumbass anywhere in this post. MAME is a condom.

You're cute in your passion and verbosity. I possibly read Nuno's thread over yonder years before you did. See my response following Arby for more.....

casm
Cinematronics > *
Reged: 08/27/07
Send PM

#334348 - 11/06/14 11:35 PM

> Besides, who said I was starting/stiring anything? I was making a legitimate point,
> for your minds to note.

And people disagreed with you.

This has been a summary of the thread so far. Stay tuned for more exciting summaries as they develop!

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#334368 - 11/07/14 05:16 AM

> You're cute in your passion and verbosity.

And you have what going for you?

"Cute" is you patronizing someone who made several intelligent observations that obviously went way over your head.

> I possibly read Nuno's thread over yonder years before you did.

You're familiar with the whole story of Nuno traveling half way across Europe to collect a game that's basically a small building and then fixing it and getting it working?

Then why the hell would you even think what you posted? lol that just makes you even more wrong.

S

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Galaxian3 : Emulation? Who can help? Who can I help? new [Re: Sune]
#334549 - 11/21/14 05:23 AM

Quote:

"Cute" is you patronizing someone who made several intelligent observations that obviously went way over your head.

Dude, you're trippin. I was being literal and playful about it. Anyways, those observations were?

Quote:

You're familiar with the whole story...Then why the hell would you even think what you posted? lol that just makes you even more wrong.

S

Quote:

And people disagreed with you.

You two seem to be confusing social and moral opinions with fact. Having the hardware to supply for dumping, etc, doesn't guarantee anyone, let alone the right people, will be interested. Perspective to temper passion, you know.

DarthNuno
Arcade Life Styler'
Send PM

#376775 - 06/10/18 07:16 PM

Any Namco System 21 expert, ready to face a nice challenge?
That beast needs to be preserved! :-S

Naoki
Send PM

#376786 - 06/11/18 02:13 PM

> Any Namco System 21 expert, ready to face a nice challenge?
> That beast needs to be preserved! :-S

If the LDs arent dumped yet, I'm hearing that accurate preservation is being looked at again using information and hardware from the Domesday archive project

DarthNuno
Arcade Life Styler'
Send PM

Re: Galaxian3 : Emulation? Who can help? Who can I help? new [Re: Naoki]
#376792 - 06/11/18 10:27 PM

> > Any Namco System 21 expert, ready to face a nice challenge?
> > That beast needs to be preserved! :-S
>
> If the LDs arent dumped yet, I'm hearing that accurate preservation is being looked
> at again using information and hardware from the Domesday archive project

What are the Domesday archive?

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#376794 - 06/11/18 11:43 PM

> What are the Domesday archive?

For some time there has been a project about properly dumping Laserdisc data. The CHD storing and format is still in debate though.

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Number=376106

Naoki
Send PM

#376795 - 06/12/18 12:12 AM

> > > Any Namco System 21 expert, ready to face a nice challenge?
> > > That beast needs to be preserved! :-S
> >
> > If the LDs arent dumped yet, I'm hearing that accurate preservation is being looked
> > at again using information and hardware from the Domesday archive project
>
> What are the Domesday archive?

As above, to get much purer dumps from the LDs. Have the ROM chips been archived yet? I see Project Dragoon is in MAME currently but Zolgear doesnt seem to show up

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#376828 - 06/13/18 06:44 AM

A link has been mentioned already, but it is a lengthy thread back in May 2018.

Adding a few more links. It is worthwhile going through other parts of the thread.

Simon Inns is one of the developers behind this in which maybe arcade analog laser discs might have a chance of being preserved, but this was originally started for Domesday discs . See links for what those discs are about.

-
DU: The great laserdisc flood
05/12/18

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

Simon Inns

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...amp;sb=5&o=

https://www.domesday86.com/

https://www.domesday86.com/?page_id=978

R. Belmont
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1
-

If only there is some way to get film reel games such as any of the Nintendo film reel games and others such as Kasco's The Driver supported in MAME.

DarthNuno
Arcade Life Styler'
Send PM

Re: Galaxian3 : Emulation? Who can help? Who can I help? new [Re: gregf]
#376950 - 06/17/18 05:49 PM

Yes, LD rip is of course important, but my guess is finding someone who's going back into the boards emulation of that beast is unfortunately an other story. I'm a little sad it is stuck on that board level, cause as mentioned many times, Galaxian3 is 'just' twice the existing StarBlade pcb (pre NAMCO SYS 21 boards). But I still have hope... and I'm still up to help anyone who would go back into the boards emulation...

turbogaming
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/13/19
Send PM

#384642 - 12/13/19 11:29 PM

agreed the quality of the LD Rip is not as important as the emulation piece. The LD rips can be blurry so long as the community gets to try it and the time codes match. This is generally free and donated time, so perfection is secondary.

Edit: this looks great - an HD rip of the 2 laserdiscs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fecUoBnABB0
What's next?

Edited by turbogaming (12/13/19 11:56 PM)

ICEknight
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/15
Send PM

Re: Galaxian3 : Emulation? Who can help? Who can I help? new [Re: turbogaming]
#384657 - 12/15/19 05:06 PM

> Edit: this looks great - an HD rip of the 2 laserdiscs:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fecUoBnABB0
> What's next?

A Domesday Duplicator rip, hopefully.

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

#384723 - 12/20/19 06:31 AM

WOW!!! That would look awesome on my new 65" 4K TV... Ah well... Maybe someday.

Until then, it was released for the Sony Playstation I in Japan. I tried it once, and from what I remember it was pretty good. And if memory serves, it was in English as well.

Edit: Yes and Yes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB1y__M02QM

Edited by sirscotty (12/20/19 06:34 AM)

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

#384724 - 12/20/19 06:32 AM

WOW!!! That would look awesome on my new 65" 4K TV... Ah well... Maybe someday.

Until then, it was released for the Sony Playstation I in Japan. I tried it once, and from what I remember it was pretty good. And if memory serves, it was in English as well.

Edit: Yes and Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB1y__M02QM

ICEknight
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/15
Send PM

Re: Galaxian3 : Emulation? Who can help? Who can I help? new [Re: sirscotty]
#384725 - 12/20/19 04:02 PM

> Until then, it was released for the Sony Playstation I in Japan. I tried it once, and
> from what I remember it was pretty good. And if memory serves, it was in English as
> well.
It was released in Europe as well (I got it back in the day), but I'm betting on the footage being choppier in that one.

ThatGuyNamedAA
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/17/22
Send PM

#394823 - 09/25/22 02:03 AM

It's been years since I tried to find this topic
Somehow my interest in this game came from a WatchMojo video and from then on I tried my best to find out more about the game. There was an official dump of the bios and the game, but the website has been delisted, so it lost media for now. the only chance is to find a working one, extract it, and finally finish this project.

Nate
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/19/10
Send PM

Re: Galaxian3 : Emulation? Who can help? Who can I help? new [Re: ThatGuyNamedAA]
#394875 - 09/29/22 05:20 AM

don't bump and if you can find a thing on the net mame has it

spaceveteran
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/09/10
Send PM

Re: Galaxian3 : Emulation? Who can help? Who can I help? new [Re: Nate]
#396176 - 05/07/23 02:04 AM

Sorry to necrobump, but pointing back to Naoki’s remark, there is a galaxian3 project dragoon dump, but what about the attack of the zolgear roms? Would be nice to know if they had been dumped as well or not by p-man. If they are not in mame or dumped, as I suppose, then finding them will be a challenge.

For notice, attack of the zolgear was a conversion kit for the galaxian3 project dragoon cab. DearthNuno also had the conversion and zolgear laserdisks. Contrarily to project dragoon, zolgear is exclusive to the arcade format.

Incidentally, given how the domesday duplicator, it could be nice to have access to project dragoon and zolgear laserdisks.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
3 registered and 139 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 6357