Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

The Battle-Road [battroad] running extremely slow
#343895 - 08/12/15 03:16 PM

... RED ALERT! ...

The Battle-Road [battroad] used to run lightening fast but now it's slow as balls... running in the high 30% range.

One of these changes is likely the cause:

Quote:

WIP:
- 0.163: Make Battle-Road text layer colours match the flyer, by swapping the RESNET R/B components (http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/flyers_video/irem/12110501.jpg) [David Haywood, Caius]. Removed IMPERFECT_COLORS flag.

WIP:
- 0.164: Flagged all M62 games as GAME_IMPERFECT_SOUND while Netlist audio is being worked on [Tafoid]. Converted Irem sound into a true device [Couriersud].
- 0.163: Added audio\nl_kidniki.c. Added 'Netlist Sound Device' (48000 Hz) to all games.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: The Battle-Road [battroad] running extremely slow new [Re: Big Karnak]
#343897 - 08/12/15 03:23 PM

It's the netlist sound, as previously discussed.

Emulating analog components is slow, even if they're not used by this game they exist on the sound board.

For reference it still runs at 240% on a 4ghz i7, so any machine that runs it at 30% is well behind the curve.

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: The Battle-Road [battroad] running extremely slow new [Re: Haze]
#343899 - 08/12/15 03:46 PM

Ah, the Kung-Fu Master discussion, I remember now. All the Source - M62.c games are like that now. Will they eventually be playable at a faster speed once yous have fixed the audio?

(I have a P4, 3.0 Ghz... I know it's a very outdated PC, but it had previously run those games at lightening speeds just last month. The new changes must have decreased the speed by 800% or something like that. That's an enormous decrease.)

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Reged: 03/14/15
Loc: UK
Send PM

#343900 - 08/12/15 03:57 PM

How many copies of Mame do you have on your machine?

I have three right now, along with several frontends..... if I run into something like this, I simply revert to the previous version.

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: The Battle-Road [battroad] running extremely slow new [Re: Vaughan]
#343901 - 08/12/15 03:59 PM

Me too, but I was just curious if once the audio gets fixed, will the game stay at a similar speed that it's currently at, or will the speed go back to being fast like it was before the changes.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#343902 - 08/12/15 04:25 PM

> Me too, but I was just curious if once the audio gets fixed, will the game stay at a
> similar speed that it's currently at

Yep.

> or will the speed go back to being fast like it
> was before the changes.

Hahahaha, no.

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: The Battle-Road [battroad] running extremely slow new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#343904 - 08/12/15 04:40 PM

Okay, so we'll almost basically need a top of the line PC, 4ghz i7, in order to play those m62.c games at full speed. Gotchya.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#343908 - 08/12/15 05:50 PM

> Okay, so we'll almost basically need a top of the line PC, 4ghz i7, in order to play
> those m62.c games at full speed. Gotchya.

All snark aside, yep, you will. Emulating discrete analog components accurately takes a lot of CPU power. What do you want the developers to do? Lie to you? Wave magic wands to make demanding emulation tasks magically faster? If anything, you're going to see more of this in the future, as many arcade boards had analog filtering on the sound chip output that is currently not emulated. We're real sorry about the speed on your old system, but the option is either to not be accurate or to not run quickly on it. Them's the breaks.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

#343913 - 08/12/15 06:18 PM

I think that's fair enough - hasn't this kind of thing been going on for some time? I swear I remember people complaining about older games not running as well as they once did years and years ago. In other words, as development gets more sophisticated (or in Mame terms, better emulation) then you eat more cycles..... (generally).

Eventually people either a) Catch up on the hardware front; b) Keep an older copy of Mame and ROM's on their hard disk.

The second option is the one I've chosen to follow. I have a "rock solid" older release that plays all the major games I love very well, and today I'm putting .164 on.

The only downside is keeping two sets of ROMS - the older set and the newer set.

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

#343914 - 08/12/15 06:28 PM

Quote:

I have a "rock solid" older release that plays all the major games I love very well

What older version are you referring to that you have? v0.106?

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

#343916 - 08/12/15 07:14 PM

I think the oldest I have now is 0.139.

Truth be told, my real passion is for games in the 1977 - 1982 kind of era.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#343917 - 08/12/15 07:28 PM

> I think the oldest I have now is 0.139.
>
> Truth be told, my real passion is for games in the 1977 - 1982 kind of era.

which is the exact period of games most likely to benefit from the changes we're making these days such as emulating the discrete circuits properly..

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Re: The Battle-Road [battroad] running extremely slow new [Re: Haze]
#343920 - 08/12/15 07:52 PM

I'm sure a lot of hard work goes into it, and it's much appreciated. I have 0.164 on the machine too.

I guess I'm simply paranoid about losing the games I still play (to much frustration, I haven't gotten any better at them!)

But if they're going to be improved, then I'm all for it. I don't have a cutting edge machine - but it has an i7 3.4Ghz, 16Gb of RAM, and an Nvidia 560. I've found it's beefy enough for most things.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#343926 - 08/12/15 08:17 PM

> I don't have a cutting edge
> machine - but it has an i7 3.4Ghz, 16Gb of RAM, and an Nvidia 560. I've found it's
> beefy enough for most things.

Man, I have to say, you're pretty modest. That's downright bleeding-edge compared to the machines that a lot of people try to run MAME on.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

#343929 - 08/12/15 08:40 PM

I bought secondhand. I got it from a guy who said he bought it to play games on - he'd even done a custom build. But after 6 months he'd decided gaming wasn't for him. I paid £500 for it, around $750.

To be frank - this is the curse of PC's They don't easily die completely. So you keep on using them forever, hardly noticing how bad everything has gotten until, for one reason or anther, you buy a new one.

A common thing I hear is "Well, I only use it for the Internet". Until they use the Internet on a more modern computer and find that yes, even using the Internet improves.

I don't only use this machine for Mame, so it justified my last round of buying. Mame works pretty well on this setup though.

Mind - once I got this my wife used it, decided her older computer was destined for the dump, and she got an i5 laptop.... So my spending did have a knock-on effect.

I can sympathize that people don't want to buy a new computer - but actually I do so much on it, it's not difficult to justify an upgrade every three to five years. When I buy upgrades, I tend to go as high up the chain as I'm able..... There isn't a single piece of software out there that is getting LESS complex and demanding.

What I really need is something that can make me better at Space Invaders, Missile Command, Amidar etc. Because I've been playing them for 40 years or more, and I've probably gotten WORSE.

You Mame dev's really bring a lot of joy to people, so I thank you for that. It's not just the games, it's the whole youthful experience. Every time I hear the swarm noise in Galaxian I'm transported...........

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#343936 - 08/12/15 10:25 PM

> What I really need is something that can make me better at Space Invaders, Missile
> Command, Amidar etc. Because I've been playing them for 40 years or more, and I've
> probably gotten WORSE.

I know the feeling.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#343940 - 08/13/15 12:06 AM Attachment: 11.jpg 37 KB (1 downloads)

> Mind - once I got this my wife used it, decided her older computer was destined for
> the dump, and she got an i5 laptop.... So my spending did have a knock-on effect.

Nothing says I Love You more like a brand new Laptop with 16 GB of RAM, Nvidia card, Top of the line Core i7 processor, keys that light up at the press of a button and mirror sleek reflective casing.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 126 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2005