Pages: 1

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

The Polycade - Retro Arcade of the Future
#347513 - 11/27/15 10:09 PM

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/783911081/the-polycade-retro-arcade-of-the-future

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: The Polycade - Retro Arcade of the Future new [Re: Andrew]
#347516 - 11/27/15 10:19 PM

You just like the girls ass at the beginning of the video. Am I right?

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

Re: The Polycade - Retro Arcade of the Future new [Re: redk9258]
#347518 - 11/27/15 10:33 PM Attachment: The Polycade - Retro Arcade of the Future.jpg 297 KB (0 downloads)

> Am I right?

I'll let you know when I can get the video to play. Meanwhile there's some eye candy at their website.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#347522 - 11/27/15 11:17 PM

If the idea is to sell you a cab then why do they need to ship you games and emulators?

Something seems very wrong or weird about the KS

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#347537 - 11/28/15 04:15 AM

He talks about arcades being social, but having the cabinet in a private residence removes the social aspect altogether. No mention of what emulator it's supposed to use, just that it's based on a Raspberry Pi. Doesn't look like anything to get excited about.

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: The Polycade - Retro Arcade of the Future new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#347538 - 11/28/15 04:24 AM

I will never understand why people keep thinking that a Raspberry Pi is somehow a good platform for emulation when there are far better single-board-computer options available for emulation purposes (and given the cost of building an arcade cabinet like that, the extra cost of using a better host system than a Raspberry Pi isn't enough to make a huge difference to the final cost)

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: The Polycade - Retro Arcade of the Future new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#347544 - 11/28/15 07:56 AM

> He talks about arcades being social, but having the cabinet in a private residence
> removes the social aspect altogether. No mention of what emulator it's supposed to
> use, just that it's based on a Raspberry Pi. Doesn't look like anything to get
> excited about.

Yeah, the cabinet doesn't do it for me. The girls ass is nice to look at though. They should make a replica of that to hang on the wall.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: The Polycade - Retro Arcade of the Future new [Re: jonwil]
#347548 - 11/28/15 08:37 AM

> I will never understand why people keep thinking that a Raspberry Pi is somehow a
> good platform for emulation when there are far better single-board-computer options
> available for emulation purposes (and given the cost of building an arcade cabinet
> like that, the extra cost of using a better host system than a Raspberry Pi isn't
> enough to make a huge difference to the final cost)

Well the newest model apparently costs $5 total, so... buy a dozen, hook them up, and you have a supercomputer?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero/

(I know it isn't possible. I'm just being stupid.)

B2K24
Send PM

Re: The Polycade - Retro Arcade of the Future new [Re: Foxhack]
#347555 - 11/28/15 12:07 PM

1.5K for something looking like a urinal slapped on your wall.

No Thanks

For that kind of cash, I'd get something much better that actually resembles a real cab.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: The Polycade - Retro Arcade of the Future new [Re: B2K24]
#347561 - 11/28/15 03:09 PM

> 1.5K for something looking like a urinal slapped on your wall.
>
> No Thanks
>
> For that kind of cash, I'd get something much better that actually resembles a real
> cab.

I don't understand how this got fully funded X2. You'd think that they'd barely get an order.

- Stiletto

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: The Polycade - Retro Arcade of the Future new [Re: B2K24]
#347573 - 11/28/15 07:07 PM

> 1.5K for something looking like a urinal slapped on your wall.

LMAO. I almost choked on my Pop Tarts!

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: The Polycade - Retro Arcade of the Future new [Re: Stiletto]
#347576 - 11/28/15 08:23 PM

You seem to forget the # of DB hipsters out there who have plenty of extra cash to throw at something "Retro" like that.

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#347583 - 11/28/15 09:46 PM

That's no even the right aspect ratio for any game it's going to run. I fucking hate kickstarter.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: The Polycade - Retro Arcade of the Future new [Re: Smitdogg]
#347585 - 11/28/15 10:34 PM

> That's no even the right aspect ratio for any game it's going to run. I fucking hate
> kickstarter.

Hang on, does it say in the description that the people producing this are children of Nolan Bushnell? (Because I can't be bothered to watch the video..) Maybe that's a reason it got funded.

- Stiletto

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#347587 - 11/28/15 11:06 PM

> > That's no even the right aspect ratio for any game it's going to run. I fucking
> hate
> > kickstarter.
>
> Hang on, does it say in the description that the people producing this are children
> of Nolan Bushnell? (Because I can't be bothered to watch the video..) Maybe that's a
> reason it got funded.
>
> - Stiletto

can't think of any other reason..

design is shocking (as stated, not a single widescreen game on there, but it has a widescreen monitor?)

Raspberry Pi? LOL

Pole Position? Tempest? Crystal Castles? Forgotten Worlds? Missile Command? Where's the spinner / pedals?

Badly thought out from start to finish, absolutely shocking that it's actually raised enough to be funded..

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: The Polycade - Retro Arcade of the Future new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#347589 - 11/28/15 11:21 PM

> You seem to forget the # of DB hipsters out there who have plenty of extra cash to
> throw at something "Retro" like that.

The Bushnell kids looks like total hipsters, judging from their mugshots on the kickstarter. The whole idea of making it wallmount-only like that is stupid too. Yeah, I really want to make holes in my masonry walls to hang that ugly thing in a fixed location. Also, does it actually have cooling fans? If the ventilation is at the back like they say it won't get much natural circulation to cool the monitor. A decent flat panel doesn't get as hot as a CRT, but it still puts out a significant amount of heat. I can see these things burning out relatively quickly.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

Re: The Polycade - Winner Of The HNTBYOAC Contest new [Re: Haze]
#347602 - 11/29/15 06:02 AM

Gentlemen, please start production immediatly...

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

#347647 - 11/30/15 07:42 PM

> Yeah, the cabinet doesn't do it for me. The girls ass is nice to look at though. They should make a replica of that to hang on the wall.

She ain't got none. With that back and V torso, though, she's great for girl's UFC. I'm beginning to wonder whether you guys aren't secretly homos....

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

All 'modern' MAME cabs have widescreen monitors.... new [Re: Haze]
#347648 - 11/30/15 07:50 PM

It's what easilly available, the kiddies must have their visual fix, and even most of your average 90s arcade kiddies yell about 'filling the screen'.

Style-wise, that thing looks like a 70s vending machine, or 70s space theme: angles and hard lines.

There's probly vents at the top.

The funniest thing to me was the middle stick...with only two buttons....jammed between the left and right players. It's the easiest solution for accomodating single play, though....

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#347649 - 11/30/15 07:50 PM

> You seem to forget the # of DB hipsters out there who have plenty of extra cash to throw at something "Retro" like that.

What is 'DB'?

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: All 'modern' MAME cabs have widescreen monitors.... new [Re: Traso]
#347655 - 11/30/15 08:28 PM

> It's what easilly available, the kiddies must have their visual fix, and even most of
> your average 90s arcade kiddies yell about 'filling the screen'.
>
> Style-wise, that thing looks like a 70s vending machine, or 70s space theme: angles
> and hard lines.
>
> There's probly vents at the top.
>
> The funniest thing to me was the middle stick...with only two buttons....jammed
> between the left and right players. It's the easiest solution for accomodating single
> play, though....

with the price they're charging they could have gone for something more authentic tho.

the fact they're going with a Pi in it at that price is the real joke.

what are people actually paying for here?

while the xx-in-1 cocktail cabinets are horrible examples of emulation machines (unlicensed, poor quality emulation etc.) it's easy to see why they're so popular with Operators (they're generally solid units, with a genuine retro-look) whereas this doesn't even look as good as the cheapest & shadiest of jukeboxes I've seen tacked onto walls (some of which offered similar 'retro games' so it's hardly even an original idea)

this offers nothing, if I didn't know how many ridiculously stupid people there were out there willing to part with their money for nothing I'd say it looked more like a money laundering scheme than a genuine product, that's how atrociously bad it is.

B2K24
Send PM

Re: All 'modern' MAME cabs have widescreen monitors.... new [Re: Haze]
#347656 - 11/30/15 09:10 PM

If this unit was left at my doorstep by some mistake totally free of charge, even then, I wouldn't bother to bring this POS in our house.

I'd be tempted to just carry it and leave it in the middle of the street if it wasn't for liability reasons.

Comboman
Can't think of a good title
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Halifax, Canada
Send PM

#347659 - 12/01/15 12:16 AM

> The funniest thing to me was the middle stick...with only two buttons....jammed
> between the left and right players. It's the easiest solution for accomodating single
> play, though....

And speaking of the sticks, he's clearly trying to go for a clean, minimalist look, yet he doesn't bother to hide the carriage bolts for the sticks?

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

Re: The Polycade - Retro Arcade of the Future new [Re: Traso]
#347662 - 12/01/15 01:18 AM

If you have to ask you probably are...

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#347664 - 12/01/15 03:45 AM

That's a 4-way stick in the middle, but it does hurt the minimalist vibe and kinda weird to accommodate 4-way games to that level when it doesn't have a trackball for trackball games. I guess you have to draw the line somewhere on not cluttering it up too much. The issues with the monitor width and using a Raspberry Pi though are enough to make a sane person scream.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: The Polycade - Retro Arcade of the Future new [Re: Traso]
#347667 - 12/01/15 05:28 AM

> She ain't got none. With that back and V torso, though, she's great for girl's UFC.
> I'm beginning to wonder whether you guys aren't secretly homos....

FUCK OFF lard ass lover.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

#347673 - 12/01/15 03:22 PM

Good ol' Traso making friends as always. I think It's a personal mission of his to piss off everyone in the forums. He craves attention, even if it's negative

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#347676 - 12/01/15 06:23 PM

> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/783911081/the-polycade-retro-arcade-of-the-future

Hahahahaha, wow. It looks like it's straight out of 1967. Wouldn't look out of place next to a Computer Space, actually.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#347677 - 12/01/15 06:39 PM

> Hang on, does it say in the description that the people producing this are children
> of Nolan Bushnell? (Because I can't be bothered to watch the video..) Maybe that's a
> reason it got funded.

Correct, this is being run by Tyler Bushnell, his son.

As "make money off the parents without doing actual work" schemes go this is slightly less lame than Marvin Gaye's kids suing Pharrell Williams, but not by much.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#347858 - 12/07/15 10:54 PM

> If you have to ask you probably are...

Who can say.... No google on this one. Divorced bachelor?

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: The Polycade - Retro Arcade of the Future new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#347859 - 12/07/15 10:57 PM

> Good ol' Traso making friends as always. I think It's a personal mission of his to piss off everyone in the forums. He craves attention, even if it's negative

Hahahahah, which is why I visit every few days or so. I was surprised that it's been a week. Time just rolls by.

Look at it this way. Gay guys are typically like straight guys: they want it now and quick. Otherwise, you're stuck being sucky lovers, as most females have told me.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: All 'modern' MAME cabs have widescreen monitors.... new [Re: Comboman]
#347860 - 12/07/15 11:03 PM

> And speaking of the sticks, he's clearly trying to go for a clean, minimalist look, yet he doesn't bother to hide the carriage bolts for the sticks?

-shrugs- As early as I can remember, I thought it looked clunky. But some folks, especially UK/Euro blokes, grew up with such machines and all.......

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 159 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3800