View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

lamprey
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/01/11
Send PM

HLSL Vector (0185) - White Screen
#366566 - 06/05/17 08:14 AM

I swear I saw a topic on this a while back, but I'm not finding it now. Is there a certain setting that causes the screen to go completely white on vector games using HLSL?

I thought I've tried them all, but the screen still goes solid white on occasion and I thought there was a way to prevent that from happening or a code fix to one of the HLSL files.

It's most notable to me in a game like Space Fury.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

anikom15
Instigator/Local CRT Guru
Reged: 04/11/16
Send PM

Re: HLSL Vector (0185) - White Screen new [Re: lamprey]
#366578 - 06/05/17 10:14 PM

> I swear I saw a topic on this a while back, but I'm not finding it now. Is there a
> certain setting that causes the screen to go completely white on vector games using
> HLSL?
>
> I thought I've tried them all, but the screen still goes solid white on occasion and
> I thought there was a way to prevent that from happening or a code fix to one of the
> HLSL files.
>
> It's most notable to me in a game like Space Fury.
>
> If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

I suppose you should start by telling us about your system and possibly provide some screenshots. I assume this doesn't occur with raster games.

lamprey
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: HLSL Vector (0185) - White Screen new [Re: anikom15]
#366581 - 06/06/17 12:36 AM Attachment: vector.ini 3 KB (2 downloads)

> I suppose you should start by telling us about your system and possibly provide some
> screenshots. I assume this doesn't occur with raster games.

I don't use HLSL for raster games, so I don't know if it happens there or not. But, it happens on every computer I've tried it on. They all have nVidia cards for what that is worth. Most of my machines are Windows 7 and my main Mame machine is running Windows 8.1 embedded.

Attached is my vector.ini. This is basically, the vector.ini that comes in the presets folder with a couple of tweaks. I also tried the vector.ini in the preset folder without any modification (other than enabling HLSL) and it did the same thing. The thing that seems to minimize the "white screen" is to set all the bloom effects to 0. Also, turning off round_corner and cubic_distortion seems to make a large difference.

Here are some screen shots of Space Fury. Add a credit and hit player 1 start. The first screen is just after you hit player 1 start:
 photo SpaceFury_start.jpg

This is moments after the Play 1 screen appears and before it goes to the "guy" talking about how you are for his amusement.

photo SpaceFury_white.jpg

I noticed that Tempest does the same thing on boot-up, so it might be quicker easier to see it there.

EDIT: Forgot the vector.ini

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

#366582 - 06/06/17 12:52 AM

Strange. I use HLSL on all my Vector games (and raster for that matter) and I've never seen that happen. I played both Tempest & Space Fury with no problems at all. Also using an NVidia card

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

lamprey
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: HLSL Vector (0185) - White Screen new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#366583 - 06/06/17 12:59 AM

> Strange. I use HLSL on all my Vector games (and raster for that matter) and I've
> never seen that happen. I played both Tempest & Space Fury with no problems at all.
> Also using an NVidia card

Funky. I've also tried re-generating the mame.ini to make sure I didn't copy any settings around erroneously.

I'll try making a complete clean install and see if that helps.

There was an issue in the past that did something similar if Artwork was enabled, so I thought a similar bug might have be re-introduced. But, perhaps not.

lamprey
MAME Fan
Send PM

#366597 - 06/06/17 08:49 AM

Found it. I set the FLOOR up slightly from 0.0 to 0.01.

Code:

floor                     0.01,0.01,0,0.01

Apparently, HLSL doesn't like that for vector games.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

#366600 - 06/06/17 10:18 AM

Lol, again that's odd. I have a vector .ini file and I have floor set to 0.0,0.0,0.0 and, again, they play just fine. I wonder why yours is acting different :-/

Oh well, at least you got them working

Edited by Envisaged0ne (06/06/17 10:18 AM)

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 172 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1610