View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SkylarNerd
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/15/17
Send PM

For the preservation of Nintendo
#367943 - 07/17/17 07:24 PM

Many of Nintendo's first arcade systems were projected and didn't rely on a cpu in order for them to be played. These games are: Laser Clay Shooting System, Wild Gunman, EVR-Race, Sky Hawk, Shooting Trainer, New Shooting Trainer, and Battle Shark. Since these games were projected via a 16mm projector, and it didn't use a cpu, the only way to preserve these games are to scan individual slides that were used. Unfortunately, a lot of the slides are missing, and destroyed.

There has been effort to preserve these slides, and I will edit this post from time to time with links, findings, and other helpful information. But for the time being, I ask if anyone could help me compile a list of what we have, in terms of preserved components, etc. I have yet to see an organized compilation of information, and I intend to fix that by using this forum post.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: For the preservation of Nintendo new [Re: SkylarNerd]
#367946 - 07/17/17 08:14 PM

> Many of Nintendo's first arcade systems were projected and didn't rely on a cpu in
> order for them to be played. These games are: Laser Clay Shooting System, Wild
> Gunman, EVR-Race, Sky Hawk, Shooting Trainer, New Shooting Trainer, and Battle Shark.
> Since these games were projected via a 16mm projector, and it didn't use a cpu, the
> only way to preserve these games are to scan individual slides that were used.
> Unfortunately, a lot of the slides are missing, and destroyed.
>
> There has been effort to preserve these slides, and I will edit this post from time
> to time with links, findings, and other helpful information. But for the time being,
> I ask if anyone could help me compile a list of what we have, in terms of preserved
> components, etc. I have yet to see an organized compilation of information, and I
> intend to fix that by using this forum post.

Talk to gregf. I'm sure he could chat your ear off about exactly this topic, and I'm sure he'll be around shortly in order to do exactly that.

SkylarNerd
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: For the preservation of Nintendo new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#367948 - 07/17/17 10:23 PM

Oh yeah, I have. And yeah, he replied with a novel😁. I just want to get this worked on.

I hope Nintendo could remaster and release the originals, for maybe home release, or in a cabinet for arcades using digital content. If all else fails, we should consider bringing it to Nintendo's attention. And I know that's not too much to ask because Operation Rainfall was also a success.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#367949 - 07/17/17 11:00 PM

It wouldn't make commercial sense for Nintendo to do anything with them. Even within the retro gaming niche of gaming, those games are a tiny niche. They also probably didn't keep any of it but hopefully I'm wrong.

SkylarNerd
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: For the preservation of Nintendo new [Re: Smitdogg]
#368021 - 07/19/17 07:38 PM

I contacted a few people online regarding the matter, and I'm waiting on a response from a French arcade. I'm talking to an arcade collector on eBay, and I feel as though he might have some helpful information.

SkylarNerd
MAME Fan
Send PM

#368074 - 07/21/17 06:10 AM

I just have to know if there's film and cabs from Nintendo's pre NES era! It's literally keeping me up at night

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#368076 - 07/21/17 06:18 AM

gregf has some slides from Wild Gunman but he's really unhappy about the scratches to the point where I couldn't even get him to scan them.

Parts come up every once in a blue moon and usually aren't pricey but they go in 5 seconds flat so it's a matter of right place at the right time with cash in hand. By all means keep trying but you're in for years of insomnia.

SkylarNerd
MAME Fan
Send PM

#368082 - 07/21/17 02:40 PM

I mean I am over exaggerating, but it is still quite important to me.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#368086 - 07/21/17 07:19 PM

I was continuing the exaggeration train.

SkylarNerd
MAME Fan
Send PM

#368090 - 07/21/17 08:00 PM

Chugga chugga.

But anyways, are there any arcades around that still have the old games? I know of that one video from an arcade in Vierzon...

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#368094 - 07/22/17 01:11 AM

I've never heard of one. I don't know why anyone would put something so old and fragile in a daily arcade to get beaten up while collecting less money per day than it uses in electricity but who knows.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: For the preservation of Nintendo - preliminary list new [Re: SkylarNerd]
#368126 - 07/23/17 06:34 PM

>These games are: Laser Clay Shooting System, Wild Gunman, EVR-Race, Sky Hawk, Shooting
>Trainer, New Shooting Trainer, and Battle Shark. Since these games were projected via a
>16mm projector, and it didn't use a cpu,

And maybe Nintendo Test Driver too.

>the only way to preserve these games are to scan individual slides that were used.
>Unfortunately, a lot of the slides are missing, and destroyed. There has been effort to
>preserve these slides, and I will edit this post from time to time with links, findings,
>and other helpful information. But for the time being, I ask if anyone could help me
>compile a list of what we have, in terms of preserved components, etc. I have yet to see
>an organized compilation of information, and I intend to fix that by using this forum
>post.

For a preliminary start:

Wild Gunman 8 film reels and 1 attract mode slide Currently needed any of the film reels. The attract mode slide is covered.

Shooting Trainer 2 slides (attract mode and gameplay mode) slides already covered. Still needed: Bottle projection unit so scans can be made of artwork images. Audio tape of glass breaking sound effect is also needed.

New Shooting Trainer: Unknown. Don't know if same slides of Shooting Trainer are also used with New Shooting Trainer.

Skyhawk: Unknown if slides are used for attract mode, but film reel is needed.

Battleshark: Same thing like Skyhawk.

Test Driver and other games: Unknown of what is needed.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#368127 - 07/23/17 06:41 PM

>It wouldn't make commercial sense for Nintendo to do anything with them. Even within the
>retro gaming niche of gaming, those games are a tiny niche.

WG had to be the most popular of the bunch. Had retrogaming concept been around in early 1980s, I could see WG being a popular product. It had its chance back then, these days...no way.

>They also probably didn't keep any of it but hopefully I'm wrong.

I wish, but I doubt it as well.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#368128 - 07/23/17 06:48 PM

>gregf has some slides from Wild Gunman but he's really unhappy about the scratches to the
>point where I couldn't even get him to scan them.

I have a couple duplicates. What specifically needs to be done is take the best of each slide and have color negatives made and uploaded online in case any cab owners are still running WG or Shooting Trainer.

>Parts come up every once in a blue moon and usually aren't pricey but they go in 5 seconds
>flat so it's a matter of right place at the right time with cash in hand.

It's the timing and fortunately it worked out with Kee Games Quiz Show 8 track tapes from a few years ago. Hope Andy is able to find a method in which the data from the tapes can be read from and copied to a modern digital format that is compatible with today's emulation standards.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#368129 - 07/23/17 06:50 PM

>I mean I am over exaggerating, but it is still quite important to me.

There have been others, but a few of them aren't visiting MW these days compared to in past years.

SkylarNerd
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: For the preservation of Nintendo new [Re: gregf]
#368132 - 07/23/17 09:49 PM

> There have been others, but a few of them aren't visiting MW these days compared to
> in past years.

That's a damn shame. Could they be members of other forums, do you think? I'd like to be in contact with as many like-minded individuals as I can. That's how you get stuff done.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#368143 - 07/24/17 05:36 AM

>> There have been others, but a few of them aren't visiting MW these days compared to
>> in past years.

>That's a damn shame. Could they be members of other forums, do you think? I'd like to be in
>contact with as many like-minded individuals as I can. That's how you get stuff done.

I don't believe the ones that left/moved on are on other emulation forums.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 144 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2808