MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU: Dark Adventure
#370225 - 10/10/17 12:09 AM Attachment: 0011.png 22 KB (0 downloads)

Shoutime dumped DARK ADVENTURE (US, Location Test Version) but it's missing a graphics rom which is different from the release version so unless a faked one can be whipped up it won't run correctly.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: DU: Dark Adventure (Edit) new [Re: Smitdogg]
#370227 - 10/10/17 03:15 AM

> Shoutime dumped DARK ADVENTURE (US, Location Test Version) but it's missing a
> graphics rom which is different from the release version so unless a faked one can be
> whipped up it won't run correctly.

I notice that the Dark World and Dark Adventure is little different. Devil World and Majuu no Ohkoku is a two players game. Dark Adventure is a three players game. I read somewhere that the Dark World is way better than the Dark Adventure.

I think the Dark Adventure is the first release then later Devil World and Majuu no Ohkoku came out with some changes because of the characters. I could be wrong about that. Very odd to have characters changes.

Nice find on this one.

I have been checking on other games sets on MAME. I found some that are different than the rest of the sets. For example 1941 and 1941r1 start off different.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

ArcadeG
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/21/17
Send PM

Re: DU: Dark Adventure new [Re: Dullaron]
#370228 - 10/10/17 03:20 AM

> > Shoutime dumped DARK ADVENTURE (US, Location Test Version) but it's missing a
> > graphics rom which is different from the release version so unless a faked one can
> be
> > whipped up it won't run correctly.
>
> I notice that the Dark World and Dark Adventure is little different. Devil World and
> Majuu no Ohkoku is a two players game. Dark Adventure is a three players game. I read
> somewhere that the Dark World is way better than the Dark Adventure.
>
> I think the Dark Adventure is the first release then later Devil World and Majuu no
> Ohkoku came out with some changes because of the characters. I could be wrong about
> that. Very odd to have characters changes.
>
> Nice find on this one.

what do you mean faked? i dont understand

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: DU: Dark Adventure new [Re: ArcadeG]
#370229 - 10/10/17 03:28 AM

> what do you mean faked? i dont understand

A unfinished hack.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: DU: Dark Adventure new [Re: ArcadeG]
#370230 - 10/10/17 03:32 AM

Like using a rom from the release version, and altering it to pass test version's crc check or whatever.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

agard
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/04/13
Send PM

Re: DU: Dark Adventure new [Re: Smitdogg]
#370235 - 10/10/17 11:43 AM

Very nice work. Can the graphics rom be replaced with a revision rom & if so does it work & is there the same graphics as the replaced rom? would be nice if it does.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU: Dark Adventure new [Re: agard]
#370241 - 10/10/17 03:51 PM

No. It's different and would have to be faked by hacking bits and pieces from the release version, which is "probably possible" but very very unlikely. Then you would have to have mame skip its crc check or otherwise hack the test out of the program roms. It's also possible but unlikely that another test location version show up at some point which used the same graphics roms.

agard
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/04/13
Send PM

#370244 - 10/10/17 07:17 PM

Well very nice find & hope u did several dumps to make sure u got everything ok. Hopefully another test location will show up that's complete or in a million pieces but the romantic u need is there to complete the board.

DoomSooth
Reged: 01/18/04
Send PM

#370245 - 10/10/17 07:23 PM

Romantic?

ROMeo! ROMeo! Where UART thou, ROMeo?!

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#370272 - 10/11/17 08:33 PM

> Well very nice find & hope u did several dumps to make sure u got everything ok.
> Hopefully another test location will show up that's complete or in a million pieces
> but the romantic u need is there to complete the board.

u

fortuna_chan
Por que yo hablo español muy bien.
Reged: 06/01/08
Send PM

#370275 - 10/11/17 10:32 PM

Ok, with only this image the difference is clear

This is, maybe, an pre-release (or prototype) of, too oldest version of Dark adventure japanese version

Note too the "lives" above the life bar, Dark adventures is different to final release

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU: Dark Adventure new [Re: fortuna_chan]
#370276 - 10/11/17 10:36 PM

It's what I called it / what Shoutime called it. The pic is of a quick attempt to hack it up to get it to run in mame and to hack together a faked graphics rom for the missing rom with files from mame / later version. If there was no hacking done on our side then it wouldn't even pass the crc checks to load or even show as much graphics as it does.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#370282 - 10/12/17 03:10 AM

> Well very nice find & hope u did several dumps to make sure u got everything ok.
> Hopefully another test location will show up that's complete or in a million pieces
> but the romantic u need is there to complete the board.

Yooooouuuuuuuuuu

https://youtu.be/8UFIYGkROII

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#370285 - 10/12/17 03:55 AM

> It's what I called it / what Shoutime called it. The pic is of a quick attempt to
> hack it up to get it to run in mame and to hack together a faked graphics rom for the
> missing rom with files from mame / later version. If there was no hacking done on our
> side then it wouldn't even pass the crc checks to load or even show as much graphics
> as it does.

Wait, so the actual game board doesn't even boot because of that missing graphic rom? Jeez. That sucks. Hope the missing data is found someday so Shoutime can have the complete thing.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU: Dark Adventure new [Re: Foxhack]
#370286 - 10/12/17 03:59 AM

Yes the original is missing the rom and doesn't work and also needs a faked rom or 2.

ShouTime
PCB Collector
Reged: 11/25/11
Loc: Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Send PM

#370301 - 10/12/17 05:34 PM

> Yes the original is missing the rom and doesn't work and also needs a faked rom or 2.

Phil B gave me a hacked graphics ROM to bypass the checksum test so it does boot now. Looks a little bit better in that different intro shot but the majority of the sprites are messed up.

Dumped: 3on3 DUNK MADNESS US, A.B. Cop JP, AIR INFERNO JP, AquaJack US, BATTLE SHARK Joystick, CRACKIN' DJ PART 2 JP, DOUBLE AXLE DX US, ENFORCE W, GP RIDER JP, GUN SURVIVOR 2 JP/W, GUNBUSTER US, GUNHARD, HANG PILOT US, Ikari III JP, JET WAVE JP, Last Survivor, MARS TV JP, MAZAN US, NINJA ASSAULT JP/W, OutRunners JP, Panic ROAD DE, PUNCH-OUT!! JP, Radirgy Ver. A, SPACE GUN JP/US, STARBLADE W, SUPER RANGER DE, SUZUKA 8 Hours 2 JP, TERRA FORCE JP, THUNDER ZONE JP, Western Express JP

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1621